The Taycan as a “Learner” car for the kids - is there a “reduced performance” setting?

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
1st world problem here. It seem my son whos about to turn 17 and who will be able to take a driving license, (and then being allowed to drive with an adult +25 yrs and holding a license in the front passenger seat until he will turn 18 and drive on his own), will start off his driving in a Taycan 4S

Is there any way to turn down performance so he will be able to control the driving more easely? I know Ford has a “teenager” key but have not heard of such a setting from Porsche.

Does anyone have any experience in this regard?
Sponsored

Last edited:

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
1st world problem here. It seem my son whos about to turn 17 and who will be able to take a driving license, )and then being allowed to drive with an adult +25 yrs and holding a license in the front passenger seat until he will turn 18 and drive on his own), will start off his driving in a Taycan 4S

Is there any way to turn down performance so he will be able to control the driving more easely? I know Ford has a “teenager” key but have not heard of such a setting from Porsche.

Wow! You can get insurance for a 17 year-old learner driving a Porsche Taycan 4S in Denmark?

I'm not aware of a "valet mode" on the Taycan - there's nothing in the guide about it. There was another thread here that seemed to draw a blank too.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
1st world problem here. It seem my son whos about to turn 17 and who will be able to take a driving license, (and then being allowed to drive with an adult +25 yrs and holding a license in the front passenger seat until he will turn 18 and drive on his own), will start off his driving in a Taycan 4S

A lot of people will tell you you're insane but I'll share my experience & advice. First the advice:

Start in a big, empty parking lot & make him do some extreme maneuvers (hard turns, hard stops). If he can get it to spin out, even better. The point is to feel & understand that there is a limit and you will be in deep trouble if you go over it. An even better solution is a driving school/track day with skipad & wet areas.

The experience:

I learned to drive on a 911 & it was one of the best things to happen to me and made me a safer driver. It was my dad's baby and seeing the combination of trust and terror in him as we lurched around the parking lot is something I'll never forget. Due to its power and its cost, it got me in a frame of mind of thinking of driving as a serious activity that required my full attention. I've had one minor accident in 25 years of driving.

It also created a bond with my dad that will always be with me even though he no longer is. I'll always appreciate the confidence he showed in me to not wreck his baby. To this day it's a deeply sentimental thing for me.

But you & your son have to talk. He needs to understand that the Taycan WILL kill him if he acts like an idiot & if it doesn't, you will. If you don't think he gets it, you're setting yourself up for a really bad situation.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Nice, touching story jimithing!

My Dad taught me how to use a clutch in some pretty challenging uphill situations, which will also always remain a memory for me.

I would agree that “messing around” in a safe environment teaches you a lot of where the limits of a car are and make you a better driver. And yes to know that a powerful car reaches its limits faster and with less margin for error is an important lesson. When I was 18 I was in my Dad’s 1st gen 928, I hit the gas a little too hard on a wet road when the light turned green. The rear end spun out to the left... Lesson learned for life.

Let us also not forget the Taycan Turbo video in Turkey on this forum ;-)
Sponsored