First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The location
Firstly, coordinates (53.0200018, -2.2038629) that takes you to a roundabout in Etruria Stoke on Trent.

The issue
I have to drive past this spot approximately three times a week. For the first couple of times I thought my PCM was having some issue with Bluetooth connectivity etc so just wrote this issue off, I do believe I briefly wrote about it in one of my earlier posts saying something like my PCM crashes every now and then.
Every single time I pass this roundabout and my Apple car play is working (not had chance to try it without Apple car play yet but I will tomorrow)I get break ups in my Bluetooth connection and then my PCM literally blanks out completely only to come back to life about 20/30 seconds later. This happens every single time.

if anyone fancies a drive to test this out I’d love to here your findings. I can’t for the life of me think what’s/why this is happening except for some external radio blockage.

Any thoughts anyone?
Sponsored

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Bluetooth uses the 2.4Ghz band. If a repairing doesnt work then someone has set up a giant microwave at that roundabout causing you to drop out.

Id stop there and see if you can smell popcorn nearby.

EDIT: Forgot about the PCM part. Yeah, I dont know. Thats spooky.

OP
OP
UKTIVO

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Bluetooth uses the 2.4Ghz band. If a repairing doesnt work then someone has set up a giant microwave at that roundabout causing you to drop out.

Id stop there and see if you can smell popcorn nearby.

EDIT: Forgot about the PCM part. Yeah, I dont know. Thats spooky.
It's not a connection issue per-say, more an anomaly. I don't have regular PCM drop outs at all. However, thinking back, I have seen them maybe twice before at spots other than this. The one thing this spot does have is average speed cameras.. but again, these start a few miles before this location and i don't have any issues there. I also can't imagine Average speed cameras use wifi to transmit data, I would imagine they are networked cabled.

Just can't pin this down..

If there are any Staffs / Stoke on Trent owners that fancy a drive past to see what happens.. please let me know.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Just the Bluetooth drops out or the PCM reboots? If just BT, it sounds like radio frequency interference (RFI). If the PCM is rebooting, it sounds like a bug in the navigation caused by your location causing the PCM to first hang and then reboot.

A GEO based bug is unusual but it can happen if there is something in the map data that isn’t being handled correctly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UKTIVO

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just the Bluetooth drops out or the PCM reboots? If just BT, it sounds like radio frequency interference (RFI). If the PCM is rebooting, it sounds like a bug in the navigation causes by your location is causing the PCM to first hang and then reboot.

A GEO based bug is unusual but it can happen if there is something in the map data that isn’t being handled correctly.
Good suggestion. Never thought of that. What happens is the Bluetooth connection stutters, for want off a better word, basically, it starts to break up, then, the screen goes completely blank / black for about 20 seconds. It doesn’t go through the reboot process. It just comes back on with the music playing normally again.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Good suggestion. Never thought of that. What happens is the Bluetooth connection stutters, for want off a better word, basically, it starts to break up, then, the screen goes completely blank / black for about 20 seconds. It doesn’t go through the reboot process. It just comes back on with the music playing normally again.
I suspect it’s the “Etruria Stoke-on-Trent Triangle” effect....did you notice any lost sailors or aviators on the roundabout :CWL:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Every single time I pass this roundabout and my Apple car play is working (not had chance to try it without Apple car play yet but I will tomorrow)I get break ups in my Bluetooth connection and then my PCM literally blanks out completely only to come back to life about 20/30 seconds later. This happens every single time.
Is your Apple CarPlay wireless or via the USB Cable? If wireless you would be on WiFi. And perhaps Bluetooth for connectivity as well. But your music etc would play through wireless.

Have you tried to disable wire less and use CarPlay via cable instead to see what happens?

Have you been able to observe what happens to the phone itself at that spot?

I had a similar issue via cable at some spots last year, but the reason was that my phone restarted. That also took about 25 to 30 seconds and then came back. But navigation via Waze was lost at that stage.

Try CarPlay via cable and see first.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Since music over Bluetooth is decoded by the PCM for playback, I suspect the navigation issue is the cause. Something about the map data there isn't proper, and this causes the computer to glitch momentarily, which is why you also loose Bluetooth.

Or SPECTRE is up to no good...

OP
OP
UKTIVO

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I am in your area so will give it a go, I have a connectivity weirdness issue with phone but that's common across many cars / bt tbh.
Well it happened this morning again. So please let me know how you go on.
Roy

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Targa 4S, '21 Cayenne S, '21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I suspect Meghan and Harry might have something to do with this....

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The location
Firstly, coordinates (53.0200018, -2.2038629) that takes you to a roundabout in Etruria Stoke on Trent.

The issue
I have to drive past this spot approximately three times a week. For the first couple of times I thought my PCM was having some issue with Bluetooth connectivity etc so just wrote this issue off, I do believe I briefly wrote about it in one of my earlier posts saying something like my PCM crashes every now and then.

if anyone fancies a drive to test this out I’d love to here your findings. I can’t for the life of me think what’s/why this is happening except for some external radio blockage.

Any thoughts anyone?
I blame MI6--they’re onto you!

SYN_Skydance

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s and MG ZS EV
Country flag
I drive on this roundabout regularly but haven’t noticed anything peculiar happening tbh. I don’t use Apple car play.

Luc

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cherry Metalic
Country flag
Hi I had this last time in Holland, it completely swiped of. But besides this i have a lot of issues with connectivity, never reliable, keys which don't memorise, the PCM system sometimes lost favorites a day later they are back !. I am now listing it up day per day , i wonder if there are more with this kind of troubles. I have had already several updates, car was for several times at porsch but not a solution ?

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I had the favorites disappear as well. It came back the next time I drove. Weird, indeed, but I'll take that vs. what others seem to be experiencing.
Sponsored