"There’s a new form of keyless car theft that works in under 2 minutes" - Article

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
As car owners grow hip to one form a theft, crooks are turning to new ones.

https://arstechnica.com/information...iously-unknown-keyless-can-injection-attacks/
This is a CAN bus attack. The attacker needs physical access to CAN bus wiring in order to use an injection device. In the article, the thieves went in via the Toyota RAV4's headlight. I don't know how accessible the Taycan's CAN/LIN bus wiring is but seems like they'd have to work pretty hard and cause damage to (say) open the hood or drill a panel.
Without the key, the car would still be immobile.

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, R8 V10+, Q5 Edition 1
Country flag
This is a CAN bus attack. The attacker needs physical access to CAN bus wiring in order to use an injection device. In the article, the thieves went in via the Toyota RAV4's headlight. I don't know how accessible the Taycan's CAN/LIN bus wiring is but seems like they'd have to work pretty hard and cause damage to (say) open the hood or drill a panel.
Without the key, the car would still be immobile.
On the Taycan, they’d be able to access CAN wiring from just behind the wheel arch liner. All they’d need to do is slice it open at the bottom outside corner where the connector for the main front bumper wiring loom is located.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
On the Taycan, they’d be able to access CAN wiring from just behind the wheel arch liner. All they’d need to do is slice it open at the bottom outside corner where the connector for the main front bumper wiring loom is located.
Thieves taking note of this post as we speak. 😭

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, R8 V10+, Q5 Edition 1
Country flag
Thieves taking note of this post as we speak. 😭
Thieves who have the tools and sophistication required to do this already have the publicly available workshop manuals that give them all the info they need.

I doubt very much they pay attention to a forum where 50% of the users don’t even know how to work the stereo properly.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Very strange......

The thieves must be very clever. But also, extremely stupid.

Clever to come up with the idea.

Stupid to steal an old Toyota Rav 4.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Very strange......

The thieves must be very clever. But also, extremely stupid.

Clever to come up with the idea.

Stupid to steal an old Toyota Rav 4.
It’s probably more use than a Taycan in Africa where it has now ended up. I am not sure where the market is for stolen Taycans although I assume there must be one

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Now everyone knows!

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Just get the tracker. Unless they have worked out how to fry that chip without bricking the car.
Sponsored