Thermal/Sound insulated windshield (Radar Detectors and Transponders)

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I have the thermally/acoustically insulated glass option. I just finished a 1400 mile trip and I have a few observations that folks might be interested in...

1. Toll Transponders: I mounted an IPASS transponder (EZPass compatible) in one of the designated areas on my windshield (the little "checkered" areas near the rear view mirror). Initial testing indicated it should work. I tested 2 gated toll booth and 2 "over-the road" tolling stations with no problem. However, on my trip, I had some issues with some toll booths NOT finding the transponder. I paid a few tolls by hand but then took down the windshield mounted transponder and replaced it with a front plate transponder. (I had the plate transponder in the car with me - wrapped in tinfoil - just in case I had issues). The front plate transponder worked every time. Folks might want to keep this in mind. It appears that mounting a transponder on the windshield might not be as reliable as you might think. (Even if mounted in the designated area).

2. Radar Detector: I also noted that my radar detector (Valentine 1 Gen 2) was not getting warnings from the front. I would side and rear warnings but never front warnings. I also mounted it as close as possible to the designated area to the right of the mirror. However, I couldn't get it close enough to the roof line or the mirror to get a perfect view straight through the hatched area. I'm currently in the process of designing a 3D printed mount for the V1 which should allow me to position the unit higher and closer to the mirror to resolve this issue. However, if you are mounting an internal radar detector on your windshield, and you have the insulated glass option, you may want to be aware of the challenge...
Sponsored

ThumbsUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan Turbo S; ‘20 Taycan Turbo (gone)
Country flag
I have the thermally/acoustically insulated glass option. I just finished a 1400 mile trip and I have a few observations that folks might be interested in...

1. Toll Transponders: I mounted an IPASS transponder (EZPass compatible) in one of the designated areas on my windshield (the little "checkered" areas near the rear view mirror). Initial testing indicated it should work. I tested 2 gated toll booth and 2 "over-the road" tolling stations with no problem. However, on my trip, I had some issues with some toll booths NOT finding the transponder. I paid a few tolls by hand but then took down the windshield mounted transponder and replaced it with a front plate transponder. (I had the plate transponder in the car with me - wrapped in tinfoil - just in case I had issues). The front plate transponder worked every time. Folks might want to keep this in mind. It appears that mounting a transponder on the windshield might not be as reliable as you might think. (Even if mounted in the designated area).

2. Radar Detector: I also noted that my radar detector (Valentine 1 Gen 2) was not getting warnings from the front. I would side and rear warnings but never front warnings. I also mounted it as close as possible to the designated area to the right of the mirror. However, I couldn't get it close enough to the roof line or the mirror to get a perfect view straight through the hatched area. I'm currently in the process of designing a 3D printed mount for the V1 which should allow me to position the unit higher and closer to the mirror to resolve this issue. However, if you are mounting an internal radar detector on your windshield, and you have the insulated glass option, you may want to be aware of the challenge...
Thanks for sharing this. Do you have a front plate or did you mount it to the bumper? If to the bumper, where? I don’t have a front plate and am curious.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I designed a removable mounting system for the front plate and various accessories. See here.

T-Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan CT4, 23 911T, 24 Rivian R1S, 71 BMW 2002
Country flag
Well that was my exact plan for a radar detector. Too bad it had a hard time picking up signal from the front. Please keep us posted if the printed mount works better. Haven’t been pulled over yet but I’ve had a couple of times where it would have been nice to know who was lurking around the corner!

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well that was my exact plan for a radar detector. Too bad it had a hard time picking up signal from the front. Please keep us posted if the printed mount works better. Haven’t been pulled over yet but I’ve had a couple of times where it would have been nice to know who was lurking around the corner!
Yup, I'm with you. It looks like I'll have to tilt my detector a bit upwards to get its forward antenna "into the zone". There simply is not enough room/clearance to get the radar detector perfectly horizontal and still have its forward face/antenna fully within the zone. If I tilt it up a bit (8 degrees) I think I might be able to get a reasonable compromise. I can tell you that when the front WAS NOT within the zone (just slightly below) I wasn't getting ANYTHING! I'm working through the design iterations for the mount now. I'll likely have something final in the next day or so. Then I'll have to find a speed sign somewhere to test it...

I can tell you that the BEST thing for "highway use" is Waze! Waze will give you really reliable alerts well in advance (as long as the road is getting used by lots of "Wazers"). Not so good "around town" though...

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Yup, I'm with you. It looks like I'll have to tilt my detector a bit upwards to get its forward antenna "into the zone". There simply is not enough room/clearance to get the radar detector perfectly horizontal and still have its forward face/antenna fully within the zone. If I tilt it up a bit (8 degrees) I think I might be able to get a reasonable compromise. I can tell you that when the front WAS NOT within the zone (just slightly below) I wasn't getting ANYTHING! I'm working through the design iterations for the mount now. I'll likely have something final in the next day or so. Then I'll have to find a speed sign somewhere to test it...

I can tell you that the BEST thing for "highway use" is Waze! Waze will give you really reliable alerts well in advance (as long as the road is getting used by lots of "Wazers"). Not so good "around town" though...
I’ve noticed lately that people are posting fewer police sightings on waze. Twice this week my detector picked up strong Ka alerts from police radar that did not alert at all on waze. I am running JBV1 with my V1Gen2 and using Highway Patrol to see if it is better than waze for police alerts.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Waze is why I bought an iPhone to use CarPlay in my Macan. It's the only nav app needed.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Sounds like you put the Valentine to the right of the mirror. Try the left, as the antenna is on the right. Mike Valentine posted on here himself and recommended that.

I very carefully looked at the tinted area around the mirror and could notice two cutouts: one for the entire tinted area which is quite large, and another smaller one inside that. Would be helpful if you could check which cutout you're getting the antenna into to get it to work.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds like you put the Valentine to the right of the mirror. Try the left, as the antenna is on the right. Mike Valentine posted on here himself and recommended that.

I very carefully looked at the tinted area around the mirror and could notice two cutouts: one for the entire tinted area which is quite large, and another smaller one inside that. Would be helpful if you could check which cutout you're getting the antenna into to get it to work.
Yeah, I noted that myself. However, I've already run the RJ11 power cord up from a circuit in the pass foot well fuse panel (tucked under the A-Pillar and the headliner). I'ld like to see if I can get it working without having to move it to the other side. I will do that if its necessary but then I will also need to find a spare slot in the driver's side fuse panel, etc...

I didn't notice any difference in the "hatched" area but I'll look a little closer when I get to test my revised mount. It will start printing tonight and should be done tomorrow (my printer is always busy!).

Here is screen shot of the V-One Gen 2 mount as I have fitted it (with PLA). It needs to be printed in ABS before I can actually start using it and that printer is busy right now. Note that the windshield is raked 22 degrees but I actually had to add another 8 degrees to get the front face of the radar detector directly behind the tinted area. This means the V1 is actually tilted up about 8 degrees (not optimal) when it is mounted to the windshield so it can be snug against the headliner and get a view through the hatched area. This mount should work on either side as I specifically avoided adding any lateral windshield rake specifically for this reason (very minimal in any case). The inclined "pads" toward the top of the image are sized for two pieces of 1" x 1" VHB tape to hold the shroud firmly against the windshield. The circular cutout (on the near side) is for inserting the RJ11 power connector. A cutout on the other side is to vent the speaker. Although a square cutout for the RJ11 connector might seem more appropriate, you can't print a linear overhang without having to include "supports" (and then having to trim them away). (Circles are much more tolerant of overhang printing). Slide the V1 forward into the shroud and insert the RJ11 power cable to lock it into place. I made a similar mount for my Gen 1 V1 in my i8 and it works very well. I have attached the STL print file if anyone wants to "play along":

Porsche Taycan Thermal/Sound insulated windshield (Radar Detectors and Transponders) V1 Mount

Attachments

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Tay Tay 's recommendation I went out to check mounting the V1 on the left side of the mirror. It seems to fit a little better as the curve in the unit is now away from the mirror so it can get a little closer. ...and of course, the antenna is better situated.

It also occurred to me that the necessary inclination in the mount (8 degrees) would also cause the bottom of the "shroud" to partially obscure a laser signature. I doubt it matters with Radar, but it would be an issue if the plastic blocks a laser source. So I added a cutout in the mount to allow this. I left the "wings" on either side as they will be required for stability and to hold the V1 in alignment. (Updated File Attached).

Porsche Taycan Thermal/Sound insulated windshield (Radar Detectors and Transponders) V1 Mount

Attachments

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
With @Tay Tay 's advice, I moved the wiring for the V1 to the driver's side. (Found a new tap in the driver's side fuse box, re-ran the wiring behind the roof liner and down the A-Pillar, etc)

Its all ready to go. Now all I need to do is get the Mount printed in ABS. (My test sample is in PLA so its not appropriate for use in direct sunlight). I'll be starting the job on the 3D printer that is pre-loaded with ABS tonight and I SHOULD have a usable mount to install tomorrow morning! Assuming all goes well, I'll post a photo tomorrow...

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was really looking forward to having this print for a final test today. Unfortunately, the 3D Printer I use for ABS printing has blown a cooling fan. :eek:

I will be curled up and rocking back and forth in a fetal position until my replacement fan arrives (Monday)... :crying:

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Got the fan replaced, ran a couple of prints with some minor tweaks. I think we have a winner!

I'm going to create another thread in the "Mods and Enhancements forum" to post the final result and info...

Last edited:

Bouldergal

First Name
Alison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross 4 2021, BMW M3 convertible 1998
Country flag

How has your Vaalentine 1 Gen 2 detector worked for you? I have a 2021 Cross 4 and was considering bbuying one. would you recommend and if so where would I mount it? Thanks!
Sponsored