Thermally and noise insulated glass defect

desertdweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I have 2021 Taycan CT and ordered the thermally and noise insulated glass. Recently I noticed a defect on one of the rear door windows. Its a sunburst pattern that appears to be a focus of delamination between the external layer and the next layer. It looks like someone took a pencil sized items and poked the window from the inside of the car out. There is a dimple that you can feel on the outside of the car. The inner glass is totally smooth and free of defect. The surface of the outside glass (really laminate) has the dimple but the laminate over this is still smooth without any evidence of trauma. It really looks like something got stuck in between the layers that then heated up and caused it to deform and delaminate. Anyone else see this issue or have ideas what it could be? I have not had anything hit the car while I was in it, have not had any extra tint applied to the window, etc.

Porsche Taycan Thermally and noise insulated glass defect IMG_6590

Porsche Taycan Thermally and noise insulated glass defect IMG_6589

Porsche Taycan Thermally and noise insulated glass defect IMG_6588

Porsche Taycan Thermally and noise insulated glass defect IMG_6587

Porsche Taycan Thermally and noise insulated glass defect IMG_6586

Porsche Taycan Thermally and noise insulated glass defect IMG_6583

Porsche Taycan Thermally and noise insulated glass defect IMG_6585

Porsche Taycan Thermally and noise insulated glass defect IMG_6584

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Are you sure you don’t have a kid with a BB gun in your neighborhood? Maybe he took a shot when the door was open …:bandit:

Schn3ll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera e-hybrid, 2018 Carrera T, 2012 Volt
Country flag
That does look like something pointy hit it with force. Is the surface smooth on both sides? Kinda wild if that was a defect that manifested itself that way. I have the same option on my car.

Reactions: B61

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree with the others—this definitely looks like an impact point. Did this suddenly appear or did it grow gradually?

Reactions: B61

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
He said it was completely smooth from the interior, free of defects. Could be a defect from the factory.

Looks like that area was heated up. I hope you weren't parked next to a giant magnifying glass or potentially a death ray.

OP
OP

desertdweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I agree with the others—this definitely looks like an impact point. Did this suddenly appear or did it grow gradually?
I thought so at first. But the dimple is on outside and is raised toward the outside of the car. Glass surface over the dimple free of any scratch or nick that a small impact might create. On the inside the glass is completely free of any imperfection. I would think if something hit with enough force to cause damage it would crater not dimple and also leave some sort of scratch or chip.

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
Looks similar to a break-in attempt on one of my insulated windows, smooth on the interior but cracked with the same pattern on the exterior. Apparently, the perpetrator couldn't break through the insulated glass with a glass breaking mechanism and ended up successfully shattering the adjacent small quarter tempered glass panel that isn't double insulated.

OP
OP

desertdweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Honestly cannot say for certain. But I dont believe it has been there more than a couple days.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve read somewhere, probably on this forum, that the Noise & Insulated glass option is tough as nails and really takes a serious beating before failing. Yeah, I’d wager someone whacked the window with considerable force before retreating in frustration.

JDNEPA

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
As others have said....
....this looks like someone tried to break into, vandalize, or you took some sort of rock or debris at some point. Given you don't recall the loud impact, I'd wager one of the first 2 options is likely but definitely looks to be impact related from the look of it.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That’s almost certainly impact damage. I’ve had a Porsche windshield delaminate before, and it didn’t look like that. I don’t think it would radiate from a center spot like that.

OP
OP

desertdweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Just a follow up to my glass defect. I took my car to the dealer, they replaced the glass under warranty :please:. They were not able to say what caused it.
Sponsored