Thermally insulated glass & phone GPS

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Can someone with this option confirm that it has no effect on your phone's GPS (especially if you have a metal roof)? On other cars some people say it's a big problem and others say it's fine. Thanks!
Sponsored

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can someone with this option confirm that it has no effect on your phone's GPS (especially if you have a metal roof)? On other cars some people say it's a big problem and others say it's fine. Thanks!
I have dual pane glass, but not the metal roof.
I have had absolutely no problems. I use the phone to play radio stations on Apple Music, so it gets a good amount of usage.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I have dual pane glass, but not the metal roof.
I have had absolutely no problems. I use the phone to play radio stations on Apple Music, so it gets a good amount of usage.
Cellular frequencies are completely different than GPS frequencies. Does your phone also track/map its location without an issue?

OP
OP
Tay Tay

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
For anyone who cares, I figured out this is moot if you use wireless Apple Carplay, because that REQUIRES piggybacking off of the car's GPS signal. That functionality is optional if you use wired Carplay, but is probably implemented here given that wireless is supposed to be supported (in the future) and requires it anyway.

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Cellular frequencies are completely different than GPS frequencies. Does your phone also track/map its location without an issue?
I've been using my Android phone running Waze app with no problems.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've been using my Android phone running Waze app with no problems.
Yup, Ive had my car for a week now. My phone's cellular reception and GPS reception are fine. (...as long as I DON'T connect to the PCM HotSpot ;-)

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have occasionally had Waze lose the GPS connection, but then it reconnects and is usually ok. It doesn't happen often enough that I curse the glass. To the contrary, being in hot South Florida, I'll take whatever help the thermally insulated glass gives.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have occasionally had Waze lose the GPS connection, but then it reconnects and is usually ok. It doesn't happen often enough that I curse the glass. To the contrary, being in hot South Florida, I'll take whatever help the thermally insulated glass gives.
I just got my windows tinted and the tinting guy actually noted that the thermal insulation on the windows must be very good. He said they normally use a blow drier to warm up the glass before they apply the tint. He said it took a bunch more work to actually get the inside of the glass warm (from the outside)...
Sponsored