TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am on my 2nd Taycan, 2020 now 2022 since last December. On the 2022 I got the better glass. I love it! I live in San Diego, weather usually warm. The car is crypt quiet, even noticeable improvement in the rain (super rare here...lol). I don't use speed detectors or toll tags. This is in my
top 5 must have options. I got the aluminum roof, I did not like the glass roof on 2020 model. I suspect the only downfalls are more $, more weight (if you are odd and want to race this car, it is a touring car not a track car)
Sponsored

danilericardo

First Name
danile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN
Country flag
On the configurator it does not show the color/darkness of the glass changing when you select the option.

Last edited:

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I am on my 2nd Taycan, 2020 now 2022 since last December. On the 2022 I got the better glass. I love it! I live in San Diego, weather usually warm. The car is crypt quiet, even noticeable improvement in the rain (super rare here...lol). I don't use speed detectors or toll tags. This is in my
top 5 must have options. I got the aluminum roof, I did not like the glass roof on 2020 model. I suspect the only downfalls are more $, more weight (if you are odd and want to race this car, it is a touring car not a track car)
I also got the aluminum roof as I too don't care for the glass roof. I believe that the glass roof actually weighs more but the difference really doesn't seem significant given the overall weight of the car.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
In the UK configurator it is just listed as noise reducing which I take to mean an extra thermal barrier is standard or considered not to be needed in the UK.

VolcanoGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo, G63, Mini (Electric)
Country flag
In the UK configurator it is just listed as noise reducing which I take to mean an extra thermal barrier is standard or considered not to be needed in the UK.
I might have just conflated the two things you can insulate. I think you’re right - this is noise reducing.

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
The main purpose is noise reduction - but there is some limited additional thermal protection - there is a technical explanation in this forum somewhere

cheers

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The main purpose is noise reduction - but there is some limited additional thermal protection - there is a technical explanation in this forum somewhere

cheers
The info panel in the configurator does indeed show a slight reduction in radiation as well as considerable reduction in noise and, by the look of it, no change in conductive heat transfer.

bihus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The info panel in the configurator does indeed show a slight reduction in radiation as well as considerable reduction in noise and, by the look of it, no change in conductive heat transfer.
It reduces a lot of heat. When the car is parked under the sun you can notice clearly the difference between two otherwise similar cars.
I don't like that mobile phone reception is a lot worse (and my commute has 3 zones where the call drops, whereas in other cars it might not drop at all, or only once) but I would spec it again. It's like an insulated capsule.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
It reduces a lot of heat. When the car is parked under the sun you can notice clearly the difference between two otherwise similar cars.
I don't like that mobile phone reception is a lot worse (and my commute has 3 zones where the call drops, whereas in other cars it might not drop at all, or only once) but I would spec it again. It's like an insulated capsule.
The standard spec on my Turbo order lists Thermally insulated glass all round, so it would be interesting to see what is extra to that.

VolcanoGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
tape your phone right to this spot:

Porsche Taycan Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass 5482D4A6-F2F6-49B2-9B69-019BD201D91D

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Anyone have info or thoughts on the Glass upgrade?

I am considering for UV and noise, but will be driving below 80mph and I heard from Porsche rep that even the standard glass is still UV coated.

Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass

detail_MVW5_s_0.jpg

Laminated glass with increased reflection for:

• Noticeably improved acoustics due to the minimization of external noises
  • UV protection
  • Reduced warming of the interior
I can’t offer an opinion on my experience WITHOUT the Noise & Insulated Glass option as my Taycan has it and I haven’t had the opportunity to A/B test this option versus a car without. I can however say this: I drove to Sacramento last week and it was 105* outside. I had the A/C on and set to 72* and actually had to turn it up to 74* as the car got too cold inside. Bottom line, your car will be more efficient and you’ll see a net increase in range as the climate control system will work less vigorously with the option.

Last edited:

VolcanoGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you think I should use double sided tape or will it be better to use velcro for repeated use? 😉
The toll tag works perfectly, but the phone doesn't.
I’m finding that most adhesives melt and let go under direct sun. Installer used 3M something (VHB?) to mount the camera. So maybe a good adhesive with velcro in between? When I hang my bug screens in my windows I find sometimes the velcro holds better than the adhesive and rips the adhesive off before the velcro let’s go.

I noticed yesterday GPS still goes out sometimes during a drive but mostly it works. I’m actually a little disappointed I don’t see the route I drove in the BlackVue app. A few things left to do… camera doesn’t connect to the car’s hotspot for some reason. Connects at home just fine.

Last edited:

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Tesla Model X Pld, '24 GLS450
Country flag
I’m finding that most adhesives melt and let go under direct sun. Installer used 3M something (VHB?) to mount the camera. So maybe a good adhesive with velcro in between? When I hang my bug screens in my windows I find sometimes the velcro holds better than the adhesive and rips the adhesive off before the velcro let’s go.

I noticed yesterday GPS still goes out sometimes during a drive but mostly it works. I’m actually a little disappointed I don’t see the route I drove in the BlackVue app. A few things left to do… camera doesn’t connect to the car’s hotspot for some reason. Connects at home just fine.
To get the best results adhering 3M VHB to glass is:

1) Make sure the glass temperature is not too hot or cold. Temp controlled garage without direct sunlight is ideal.
2) press and hold firmly with at least 5lbs pressure for 30 seconds.

The bonding process is complete after 24 hours. Ideally, keep the windshield at moderate temperature during that time.

Obviously make sure the glass is clean and dry. If the camera falls off, note where the 3M remained. If the 3M stays on the windshield, then the bonding between the camera bracket and 3M was weak. If the 3M stays on the camera bracket, then the bonding with the glass was bad.

IMO, GPS is a must-have for a dash cam and the only option with the thermo glass is to have a dash cam with the GPS in the bracket and the camera lens protruding out to the right...but the camera lens should still be in the wiper zone.
Sponsored