Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass

VolcanoGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo, G63, Mini (Electric)
Country flag
To get the best results adhering 3M VHB to glass is:

1) Make sure the glass temperature is not too hot or cold. Temp controlled garage without direct sunlight is ideal.
2) press and hold firmly with at least 5lbs pressure for 30 seconds.

The bonding process is complete after 24 hours. Ideally, keep the windshield at moderate temperature during that time.

Obviously make sure the glass is clean and dry. If the camera falls off, note where the 3M remained. If the 3M stays on the windshield, then the bonding between the camera bracket and 3M was weak. If the 3M stays on the camera bracket, then the bonding with the glass was bad.

IMO, GPS is a must-have for a dash cam and the only option with the thermo glass is to have a dash cam with the GPS in the bracket and the camera lens protruding out to the right...but the camera lens should still be in the wiper zone.
oh yeah… didn’t think about the wiper zone. I’m going to have to check that! In a few months the area above the wipers will be mud and sleet until May.
Sponsored

drkgt3rs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3RS
Country flag
I have an insulated glass and attaches ez-pass as described but it is not recognized at some locations.

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
so quick question - I never attached the EZpass on my windshield. registered the car and the cameras at toll booths recognize the car and charge to my account. Is that fine ?

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
so quick question - I never attached the EZpass on my windshield. registered the car and the cameras at toll booths recognize the car and charge to my account. Is that fine ?
If it works for you yea that’s fine. We need the transponder (Fastpass) in California with a switch that indicates we have 1, 2, or 3 people and so get to use the lane for free (or discounted) if we meet the HOV requirement.

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Tesla Model X Pld, '24 GLS450
Country flag
I have iPass (Illinois) and what they do here is charge half price for every toll if you use the iPass transponder. But if they have to use their LPR cameras to read your plate 5x in one month, then they charge you full price for the tolls.

FlyDriveBike

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo Cross Turismo, Panamera Turbo
Country flag
I just talked to my dealer GM after my Turbo test drive, and with the thermal/noise insulated glass in the Turbo S premium package you will not be able to mount a radar detector on the inside windshield. I'll be having mine installed in the front and rear grills, along with the laser jammers. Just thought you should all know if you plan on electronic countermeasures.
Wow, good to know! Just got my CT Turbo and am looking at radar monitoring options

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't like that mobile phone reception is a lot worse (and my commute has 3 zones where the call drops, whereas in other cars it might not drop at all, or only once) but I would spec it again. It's like an insulated capsule.
Do you have the mobile phone external antenna feature in Portugal? Here's what we have in North America:
Porsche Taycan Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass 1661617195734

bihus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do you have the mobile phone external antenna feature in Portugal? Here's what we have in North America:
1661617195734.jpeg
Yes, we do have the same in Europe. But as I'm one of the early adopters, that waited 2,5 years with a 25k down payment for a MY20 that will only get Android Auto next week (hopefully), I prefer to have the phone out to use Waze. But I'll give it a try. It's worth the experience.

desertdweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I have the thermally and noise insulated glass in Taycan CT. I used to live near Seattle. Just moved to Palms Springs area. Temps have been around 110 degrees. I was worried that the panorama glass roof would be a heat sink. Especially since it does not have a shade you can close. Instead I have been really amazed how cool and comfortable my car is, even at these high temps with direct sun. Its actually almost freakish how little heat I feel. Our other car (2022 Land Rover Discovery with Panorama roof and conventional tint on side glass) seems to struggle in this heat. Even with AC on and sunshade closed you feel these heat pockets where the AC is not blowing directly. Gets hotter when parked, takes longer to cool to comfortable temp. In Taycan, I usually have AC set to 76 because anything lower just starts to feel cold. Granted for the Taycan, a lot of this is from the standard panorama roof. But I think the UV on side glass must be helping significantly.

As far as cell reception and garage door operation, have not had any issues.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I have the thermally and noise insulated glass in Taycan CT. I used to live near Seattle. Just moved to Palms Springs area. Temps have been around 110 degrees. I was worried that the panorama glass roof would be a heat sink. Especially since it does not have a shade you can close. Instead I have been really amazed how cool and comfortable my car is, even at these high temps with direct sun. Its actually almost freakish how little heat I feel. Our other car (2022 Land Rover Discovery with Panorama roof and conventional tint on side glass) seems to struggle in this heat. Even with AC on and sunshade closed you feel these heat pockets where the AC is not blowing directly. Gets hotter when parked, takes longer to cool to comfortable temp. In Taycan, I usually have AC set to 76 because anything lower just starts to feel cold. Granted for the Taycan, a lot of this is from the standard panorama roof. But I think the UV on side glass must be helping significantly.

Same glass here, but on a 2022 RWD, in suburban Phoenix AZ USA. The pano roof is warm to the touch on the inside, but I feel just a little bit of warmth emanating from it. I have window tint on the rear window and all side windows (35% Xpel Prime XR). My A/C is set to 65 F (18 C) in normal mode on setting 2 or 3 of 6, and I have the seat ventilation on max. Remote cooling is wonderful.

desertdweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag

sorry if this is passe. But I wanted to add. Just sent the Taycan in for software updates and received a 2022 Cayenne with pano roof as loaner. Wow! Greatful for such a nice loaner. But what a difference. I can feel the heat via side, windshield and roof so much more in the Cayenne. The UV protection is nice too as I can feel I am getting burned without the UV protection glass. Overall the Taycan is a much more comfortable environment in these high temps. Really makes me appreciate the comfort that the thermally and noise insulated glass provides. Hope that helps anyone on the fence.

T16ole

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo
Country flag
Anyone know if it can be retrofitted?