ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Anyone have info or thoughts on the Glass upgrade?

I am considering for UV and noise, but will be driving below 80mph and I heard from Porsche rep that even the standard glass is still UV coated.

Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass

Porsche Taycan Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass detail_MVW5_s_0

Laminated glass with increased reflection for:

• Noticeably improved acoustics due to the minimization of external noises
  • UV protection
  • Reduced warming of the interior
Sponsored

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

I am considering for UV and noise, but will be driving below 80mph and I heard from Porsche rep that even the standard glass is still UV coated.

detail_MVW5_s_0.jpg

• UV protection
I have this in my build. No idea how well it'll work. I'm going purely by what it states "minimize external noises" and "reduce warming of the interior".

TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag

detail_MVW5_s_0.jpg

• UV protection
Another advantage of this glass is that it is also a lot more difficult for thieves to "smash & grab" in your car,
on the minus side in case of emergency it's a lot harder to break the window to get out of the car https://www.google.ch/amp/s/www.caranddriver.com/news/amp28422725/car-windows-glass-aaa-unbreakable/

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Another article that has information I had not seen before. From March 2019

Christophorus - 03/2019 Innovative Components in the Porsche Taycan

https://christophorus.porsche.com/en/2019/392/taycan-components.html

THERMAL GLASS ROOF
Only 5.8mm thick.
... The thermal glass does it all: it completely blocks UV radiation, significantly reduces infrared radiation, and boasts excellent noise-insulating properties. What’s new is the multilayered insulation and coating extending into the passenger compartment. These ensure that, on hot days and cold, and even in close proximity to the glass, the temperature feels like it does in the rest of the interior. ...

Look forward to feedback from people in North East and folks in Florida.
Or Norway and Saudi Arabia.

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Also considering this option for my 4S build. On the configurator it does not show the color/darkness of the glass changing when you select the option. Anyone who has this on other Porsche's know if that this the case? I assumed it would make the glass darker, and harder to see in from outside, but maybe that is "tinted" glass.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I just talked to my dealer GM after my Turbo test drive, and with the thermal/noise insulated glass in the Turbo S premium package you will not be able to mount a radar detector on the inside windshield. I'll be having mine installed in the front and rear grills, along with the laser jammers. Just thought you should all know if you plan on electronic countermeasures.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Anyone know if tolltags will work when attached to the glass (on the inside)?

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
I have this box checked on my current Panamera, but do not have it on my other cars. I'll try and provide my input.

Glass tinting and colour? No change. It's still clear.
Thermal insulation? I think so, but hard to tell. Definitely reflects heat in the summer. It's cold in Canada, so I can't tell about keeping the cold out.
Noise insulation? Definitely quieter than without.
UV? All Porsche glass is anti-UV AFAIK
Radar detector? YES, you can use it through the glass. I have used a Valentine One on the windshield for years.
Tolltags? I'm going to think that this won't be a problem, but I don't have first-hand confirmation.

FWIW, I will NOT be checking this box on my Taycan. I did not opt for it in my recent Cayenne purchase, and I don't miss it. I'm pretty certain that the Taycan is going to be plenty quiet, so the real benefit would be for those in super-hot climates.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I just talked to my dealer GM after my Turbo test drive, and with the thermal/noise insulated glass in the Turbo S premium package you will not be able to mount a radar detector on the inside windshield. I'll be having mine installed in the front and rear grills, along with the laser jammers. Just thought you should all know if you plan on electronic countermeasures.
I like where you going with this, and this car really needs it. :clap:

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Also considering this option for my 4S build. On the configurator it does not show the color/darkness of the glass changing when you select the option. Anyone who has this on other Porsche's know if that this the case? I assumed it would make the glass darker, and harder to see in from outside, but maybe that is "tinted" glass.
To answer my own question. I visited a local dealer today. Their demo Turbo has the thermal glass and it is not any darker than regular glass.

BillyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, 997.2 Turbo, Macan GTS,
Country flag
To answer my own question. I visited a local dealer today. Their demo Turbo has the thermal glass and it is not any darker than regular glass.
FWIW, we have it on the 2019 Cayenne. Some people in the back (mostly) complain of slightly "distorted"or darker view looking out-especially while wearing sunglasses.
Sponsored