Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hello all, I know that Taycan is a beloved vehicle to people on this forum and I love mine as well, but I have hit too many snags and now considering of biting the bullet and getting a 911 GTS. It would be the first car that if I owned, I would never sell. I love my Taycan but there are too many small QC issues that has made me go back to my dealer so many times that I was driving the loaner more than my own car. I want to see those of you who owns 911 and what the cost of ownership is like and just some general comparisons between the 911 and the Taycan. I still will drive an EV in the future since I live in Cali and new ICE cars will be banned, but it would be nice to have an ICE in the mean time. I think since most brands are still figuring out the EV problem and cars have some sketchy QC issues, it might be wise to wait for tech to improve and drive Dino burner in the mean time.
Sponsored

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I never owned a porsche so can't be much of help here but I want to give you my personal opinion.

I'm waiting for a Taycan. I never considered a porsche before. Why? Because of the cost of ownership. It's not the 100-200k for a car that triggers me. It's the weekly 100+ I have to pour into the tank to keep it running. It triggers me seeing the gas price fluctuating upwards (mostly) / downwards (rarely) on a weekly basis without substantiated reasons. It's pure greed and seeing how much one can get away with before the general public starts rioting.

Like it or not, the world has started to push an ecologic agenda and governments want to kill the ICE market in 20-30 years. I don't have a formed opinion if this approach is the right or wrong way but it's happening.

I do like the idea of all the incentives they're giving to us first movers like tax cuts, free parkings in cities and generally a lower cost of ownership. I intend to take advantage of it.

Regarding quality issues or some bugs people have been posting...

How many ICE cars are trouble free?

Let's look at my current ICE car (MB 220 CDI) with 10 years of operation:

- 3 X water pumps (first were made out of plastic)
- 2 x Key locking system (both times needed Germany HQ to issue new board after filling 50 forms and paying 1k each time)
- 2 X thermostat failure
- 2 X particle filter failure (ceramic. Expensive)
- multiple sensor failures (too many to list here)
- exhaust collector on engine cracked
- 2x a/C fan failure
- coolant reservoir failure
- bottom oil reservoir leak. Fully replaced

I can't even remember the rest. I must have spent over 15k in the past 10 years in repairs / mantainance.

My wife's car is also a MB (another model) and hers has been having every issue that is specific for her model (just like everything I reported upwards is specific and known for my model).

And this is Mercedes Benz who has been making ICE cars since 1889 and invented ABS back in 1920. One would expect they would know better by now.

I'm prepared to give Porsche some slack here. Hopefully I'm not wrong but I can't see them doing worse than other manufactures (regardless EV or ICE)

My two cents
Tony

Bakus

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi GT
Country flag
I have a taycan GTS on order has been for 10mths. I also owned a Audi eTron GT, that I liked but was missing something so I ordered a Audi RS GT.

The RS GT was built in June so I sold my standard GT only find that my new car whilst built was parked up in Germany waiting for parts.

I had to then buy another car to see me through an S5, it was whilst I had this car I realised that I had missed the feel and convenience of an ICE car.

As part of the Taycan GTS order I had my PDE at Silverstone. It was really good to push the Taycan to then limits around the track and it is an incredibly capably car but the sound and look of the 911s on the track got me thinking. Straight after my session I bought a 2 year old 911 carraera S and cancelled my RS GT as it was still stuck in Germany.

I would say 2 months later this is a decision that I would 100% standby.

I still have my Taycan GTS on order, and am now considering flipping this to a 911 Taga GTS. The 911 is a truly magical car that is hard to beat and whilst they are still a possibility I would go for it!

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The GTS will be more expensive to run, but not by that much, excluding fuel of course. I wouldn’t make a decision based on cost. I’d just make sure that you drive one enough to know that you can live without the instant torque of an EV. When I drive ICE cars now, that’s the one thing that bothers me. That and the smell/noise.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I just signed the order for a 911 GTS last night. I say drive it while you can, if you have that interest. It’s probably not going to get easier/cheaper from here (general vehicle market conditions aside).

OP
OP
Stoneageman

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
The GTS will be more expensive to run, but not by that much, excluding fuel of course. I wouldn’t make a decision based on cost. I’d just make sure that you drive one enough to know that you can live without the instant torque of an EV. When I drive ICE cars now, that’s the one thing that bothers me. That and the smell/noise.
I am actually over the whole instant torque thing mostly because I don’t actually accelerate that fast 80% of the time. Also I find that these days I really enjoy the build up of speed.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Hello all, I know that Taycan is a beloved vehicle to people on this forum and I love mine as well, but I have hit too many snags and now considering of biting the bullet and getting a 911 GTS. It would be the first car that if I owned, I would never sell. I love my Taycan but there are too many small QC issues that has made me go back to my dealer so many times that I was driving the loaner more than my own car. I want to see those of you who owns 911 and what the cost of ownership is like and just some general comparisons between the 911 and the Taycan. I still will drive an EV in the future since I live in Cali and new ICE cars will be banned, but it would be nice to have an ICE in the mean time. I think since most brands are still figuring out the EV problem and cars have some sketchy QC issues, it might be wise to wait for tech to improve and drive Dino burner in the mean time.
Don’t fantasize about lifetime ownership; you will drop the ICE 911 in a New York minute whenever Porsche unveils the EV 911.

OP
OP
Stoneageman

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Don’t fantasize about lifetime ownership; you will drop the ICE 911 in a New York minute whenever Porsche unveils the EV 911.
Idk if I agree with that right now because I can’t imagine other than body shape, how they will be able to differentiate the 911 from the cayman or the Taycan. If the EV 911 is just a fancier version of the Cayman then I rather hold on to Dino burner forever and just get a Macan EV or something for daily and family use.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Well there is lifetime and then there is lifetime. I always wanted a Porsche and after seeing/driving a Taycan that was my choice. Since I'm 72 I'm not sure how many more cars are in my future unless they are full self driving ;) Although a 2dr Porsche EV might make me decide that getting one more for the road, so to speak, wouldn't be a bad idea.

Reactions: B61

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
I still have my first 911, a 2008 Carrera (997.1), I purchased new. So going on 14 years of ownership now and it has literally never had anything go wrong with it. Absolutely bullet proof. Love the car and will always have it. That said, 2008 was the last of the "analog" 911, so that may have something to do with its excellent track record. Just needs the yearly maintenance which probably averages out to about $600 per year. The only time the yearly cost went over $1,000 was a couple of years ago when I did the belts, spark plugs, and coil packs ($2,500 total). It only has about 28,000 miles on it, so I guess I don't really drive it all that much. I love my Taycan CT, but I would always have a 911 or two in addition. IMHO...Get the 911 GTS, which are wonderful, and come back to the EV fold (Macan) a bit later when you are ready.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Drove my 911S Cab for 12 years and apart from the dreaded IMS bearing failure (do your research, it afflicted the earlier models), my car rarely required any service. The intervals for oil changes was ridiculously long which can give you a false sense of security. I sold the car for close to my original purchase price so ended up driving a $115K car for almost nothing for over a decade.

Its senseless to try to compare any 911 model to any Taycan. All they have in common is the Porsche DNA for quality and performance but the rides are completely different, as has been discussed at length on this forum already.

Good luck! You'll come back to us eventually once you get the need for speed out of your system.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am actually over the whole instant torque thing mostly because I don’t actually accelerate that fast 80% of the time. Also I find that these days I really enjoy the build up of speed.
Then I wouldn’t own an EV, as that’s the most significant benefit IMO. I’ve owned two 911s, a Cayman, two Spyders, and a GT4. I don’t think I could ever go back to an ICE car at this point unless it was something really special either powerwise (3RS/4RS) or overall, like a Singer. But everyone’s tastes are different, which is why it’s great we have options.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Idk if I agree with that right now because I can’t imagine other than body shape, how they will be able to differentiate the 911 from the cayman or the Taycan. If the EV 911 is just a fancier version of the Cayman then I rather hold on to Dino burner forever and just get a Macan EV or something for daily and family use.
Let your imagination run a little wild. In 8-10 years there will likely be some great new battery tech available. Imagine a 911 EV that weighs in at or around 3000 lbs, has a solid state battery that charges in 5 minutes, 400+ mile range, four motors, 1000+hp, lab-grown leather, massive regen, PCM that actually works, a hard-top that folds into the space that was historically housing the ICE, etc. etc. And who knows, perhaps the kids in R&D will include a function on the PCM (marked with a little dinosaur icon) which will put the car in "retro" mode to accurately simulate exhaust noise, gear shifts, motor vibrations, brake fade, etc.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'd like to own an ICE car just for fun, and if I had the garage space available, I'd probably pick up a manual 997 or the like just to hold on to for weekends. But I'll confess - every time I see an ad with a picture of an open engine bay with all of that oil and the multitude of moving parts - I go back to the simplicity and efficiency of my Taycan - at least for the long haul. It's just better technology, especially for a daily driver. I honestly don't miss the engine noises or smell of gas.

SECRET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I've gone back and forth with electric, ICE, and hybrid. Ended up keeping a couple ICE cars over the years to satisfy that urge to go back.
Sponsored