tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I'm loving my 4S and its mostly been trouble free for me. Having come from a Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid, I think I am missing a little bit of the punch in the 4S - for example, when overtaking on a twisty Irish mountain road.

My 4S is fairly heavily optioned and I'm trying to figure out what stuff I could potentially drop to try and keep cost down without much compromises.

The two big questions I have are:

a] If I never launch control, is it correct to say that the Turbo and the Turbo S performance is identical in normal driving? Is picking the Turbo S a "bit silly"? Note: I kinda love the yellow carbon ceramic brakes (from my Panamera) - so if I went with Turbo, I'd prob option them. Is the carbon fibre trim of the Turbo S worth it?

b] My 4S has PTV+, RAS and PDCC. I'm thinking of dropping the PDCC option (as its not standard even on the Turbo S). I had all three on my Panamera so optioned them on my 4S. I never have or will track the car. However, I do sometimes drive on twisty mountain roads with some "urgency". Will I notice it missing? Will the car "lean" in bends without it?

Other options on my 4S I'm thinking of dropping:

a] Dropping Innodrive for regular ACC.
b] Night vision camera – its not getting that much use. I like having it, I don't need it.
c] I'm in two minds with my Burmeister – it sounds great in my 4S – I optioned it because I didn't like the Bose in my Panamera, but I'm hearing better things about the Bose in the Taycan. Coupled with Apple Lossless source, I'm going to test things out before I option Burmeister again. Music/stereo is important to me in my car.
d] I might drop Comfort Access. I don't value it that much and sometimes (maybe 10% of the time) it doesn't work and I have to use the key anyways.
e] Auto Park Assist/3D parking – I don't use it and its relatively expensive – think regular surround camera options is enough.

Things I'll keep on any new configuration:

a] All the charging options - 22kW AC & 150 kW DC chargers – they are highly relevant in Ireland – unlike UK/mainland Europe.
b] Passenger screen - my co-driver uses it a lot to change music and tune our navigation routes on long-haul trips.
c] Seat ventilation.
d] Lane change assist.

One thing I find is that when I'm thinking about configuration at home, I lean towards all the tech – but when I'm in the car – a lot of that just goes away and I value the "Porsche stuff". I use the car both for long-haul (5,000 km+ cross Europe trips from Ireland) and day/weekend trips up mountain passes. I commute by public transport when not working from home – so no daily commute requirements for the car.

I'd be interested in any feedback on any of the above – especially from folks who've made the jump. My head is saying Turbo with a bunch of options, my heart is saying Turbo S!
Sponsored

Last edited:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can't your passenger use the main screen to control music and Nav so you can drop the passenger screen?

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can't your passenger use the main screen to control music and Nav so you can drop the passenger screen?
For sure, but this is a liked option. It allows me to keep mapping on the display near me – I don't like the map on the instrument cluster – and it reduces the amount of scratchy piano black material – which I hate.

Last edited:

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
I'm loving my 4S and its mostly been trouble free for me. Having come from a Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid, I think I am missing a little bit of the punch in the 4S - for example, when overtaking on a twisty Irish mountain road.
I hear ya. Was happy with 4S, but felt like it wasn't quite enough.

My 4S is fairly heavily optioned and I'm trying to figure out what stuff I could potentially drop to try and keep cost down without much compromises.

The two big questions I have are:

a] If I never launch control, is it correct to say that the Turbo and the Turbo S performance is identical in normal driving? Is picking the Turbo S a "bit silly"? Note: I kinda love the yellow carbon ceramic brakes (from my Panamera) - so if I went with Turbo, I'd prob option them. Is the carbon fibre trim of the Turbo S worth it?
Performance identical out of LC: pretty much, yes. Turbo has 850Nm, TS has 1050. You could prolly time the difference, but won't feel. (Have driven both!)

b] My 4S has PTV+, RAS and PDCC. I'm thinking of dropping the PDCC option (as its not standard even on the Turbo S). I had all three on my Panamera so optioned them on my 4S. I never have or will track the car. However, I do sometimes drive on twisty mountain roads with some "urgency". Will I notice it missing? Will the car "lean" in bends without it?
Amateur answer (Had 4S without, T with): You'll be fine without it.

Other options on my 4S I'm thinking of dropping:

Depends on your usage. I'd never go back, but we're all different. I do reasonably frequent 1000km boring highway rides - the PID is fantastic at this point. Each to their own!
b] Night vision camera – its not getting that much use. I like having it, I don't need it. N/C
c] I'm in two minds with my Burmeister – it sounds great in my 4S – I optioned it because I didn't like the Bose in my Panamera, but I'm hearing better things about the Bose in the Taycan. Coupled with Apple Lossless source, I'm going to test things out before I option Burmeister again. Music/stereo is important to me in my car.
I'm very happy with my Bose. No audiophile, so no big thing for me.
d] I might drop Comfort Access. I don't value it that much and sometimes (maybe 10% of the time) it doesn't work and I have to use the key anyways.
Doesn't work? Works 99% of the time for me. Change batteries in the fob? Each to their own.
e] Auto Park Assist/3D parking – I don't use it and its relatively expensive – think regular surround camera options is enough.
Agree. Would never trust auto park anyway.

Things I'll keep on any new configuration:

a] All the charging options - 22kW AC & 150 kW DC chargers – they are highly relevant to Ireland – unlike UK/Europe. N/C
b] Passenger screen - my co-driver uses it a lot to change music and tune our navigation routes on long-haul trips. N/C
c] Seat ventilation. - YES! Fantastic.
d] Lane change assist. Is included in ACC.

One thing I find is that when I'm thinking about configuration at home, I lean towards all the tech – but when I'm in the car – a lot of that just goes away and I value the "Porsche stuff". I use the car both for long-haul (5,000 km+ cross Europe trips from Ireland) and day/weekend trips up mountain passes. I commute by public transport when not working from home – so no daily commute requirements for the car.

I'd be interested in any feedback on any of the above – especially from folks who've made the jump. My head is saying Turbo with a bunch of options, my heart is saying Turbo S!

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated, especially from someone who has made the upgrade.

Depends on your usage. I'd never go back, but we're all different. I do reasonably frequent 1000km boring highway rides - the PID is fantastic at this point. Each to their own!
I do use it for sure – so appreciate your feedback. I think the fact it can be added in later as a subscription option is something influencing me here. Due to the way taxes work here in Ireland, its cheaper that way too.

If you buy it as part of the car you have to pay Sales (VAT) + Registration (VRT) taxes as its part of the car's cost. If you subscribe/buy later, you only pay VAT!

d] Lane change assist. Is included in ACC.
Unfortunately not in the Irish specs unless you add in automatic park option. LCC is a standalone option and people here often do miss including it by accident.

Doesn't work? Works 99% of the time for me. Change batteries in the fob? Each to their own.
I'm fairly sure it happens if the key is in the same pocket as my iPhone then it won't work.

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo '22 (ordered),MB E350, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
Seems to be a fair amount of MY20 Turbos on the lots still. There’s one near me that is spec’d darn near the way I’d spec it. MSRP is $175k. With the MY22 config right around the corner, what’s everyone’s sense of what a fair discount would be?

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Using the generic Porsche range estimator for my current car:

Porsche Taycan Thinking of upgrading the 4S to a Turbo or Turbo S Screenshot 2021-06-17 at 23.35.24

And for the Turbo S with same parameters except for the wheels (20-inch not available):

Porsche Taycan Thinking of upgrading the 4S to a Turbo or Turbo S Screenshot 2021-06-17 at 23.35.34

Is ~35km less range with the Turbo S realistic ? If so, it could push me towards a Turbo with ceramic brakes optioned. Could the range difference be "fixed" with fitting smaller 20-inch wheels later – say if I was going on a long 5000km road-trip (which I sometimes will!).

Any insights from owners appreciated!

CT4Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Seems to be a fair amount of MY20 Turbos on the lots still. There’s one near me that is spec’d darn near the way I’d spec it. MSRP is $175k. With the MY22 config right around the corner, what’s everyone’s sense of what a fair discount would be?
Ive seen some in socal for 30k off of 220ish

Reactions: cfp

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Using the generic Porsche range estimator for my current car:

Screenshot 2021-06-17 at 23.35.24.png

And for the Turbo S with same parameters except for the wheels (20-inch not available):

Screenshot 2021-06-17 at 23.35.34.png

Is ~35km less range with the Turbo S realistic ? If so, it could push me towards a Turbo with ceramic brakes optioned. Could the range difference be "fixed" with fitting smaller 20-inch wheels later – say if I was going on a long 5000km road-trip (which I sometimes will!).

Any insights from owners appreciated!
I think stopping to charge a couple times more is a small sacrifice to be paid for having the 21” wheels and also part of the difference in range may be due to the fact that the S comes standard with the electric power ports and the aerodynamics are a little worse. This is discussed elsewhere in the forum. I have a Turbo S and am very happy with it, although it is true that sometimes a little extra range would be nice. I also know that your driving style will affect the efficiency much more than the wheel size.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My 4S today has both the electronic ports and PDCC both of which are slightly energy/range zapping. So perhaps I won't notice it as much.

May I ask @Pozuelo – did you option PDCC on your car?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
...My head is saying Turbo with a bunch of options, my heart is saying Turbo S!
My 4S has enough power for all road situations I encountered so far. Did you check with your PC if you can test drive a T or a TS?

Alternatively, go roadtripping to Germany and spend 400 Euro to test drive the TS on an experience center track either in Leipzig or Hockenheim.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
i would take the 3d parking only because you get the LCA and exit monitoring as well as rear traffic detection, especially as you have had it before

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You are a candidate for this. From the Plaid thread, why not drop the Plaid into the mix. Curious as to your thoughts.

Last edited:

grahamtparker1979

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I did notice a significant difference going from a 4S to TS for sure but then again I’ve never driven a T :)

If you want to go for a drive in my one to gauge let me know

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks @grahamtparker1979 for the offer – very kind – and appreciated. Will defo take you up on the offer when I get closer to making a decision. In return – if your car doesn't have the toys like night vision, auto-park, etc, happy to show them in my car.

One question, does your Turbo S have the PDCC option ?
Sponsored