tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
First weeks consumption data. Still on the high side, but most of these trips have been taken in 5°C and still on the Pirelli P Zero summer tyres (waiting on winters to be delivered).

I'm hoping I can get consumption down closer to 26 kWh/100km, be interesting to see the impact of the P Zero Winters.

Porsche Taycan Thinking of upgrading the 4S to a Turbo or Turbo S Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 21.47.31
Sponsored

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Your foot is as heavy as mine :like: drive them like they are stolen. Little sprints are too much fun.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A week and a bit after purchasing Active Lane Keeping as a Function on Demand (FoD) it eventually arrived with the help of the Porsche Connect Helpdesk.

Porsche Taycan Thinking of upgrading the 4S to a Turbo or Turbo S IMG_5152

Porsche Taycan Thinking of upgrading the 4S to a Turbo or Turbo S IMG_5154

Driver Assist Tube before activation:

Porsche Taycan Thinking of upgrading the 4S to a Turbo or Turbo S IMG_5150

Driver Assist Tube after activation:

Porsche Taycan Thinking of upgrading the 4S to a Turbo or Turbo S IMG_5155

I feel comfortable with the combination of ACC + Active Lane Keeping for long motorway is ideal. Skipping out on InnoDrive this time, which I did have from factory on my 4S.

To "prepare" for this configuration, I had actually deactivated InnoDrive for my last month with the 4S – including on some cross-country trips during the holidays – and found that I didn't really use it or miss it.

But deactivating it did help ease me into this configuration on the Turbo S.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
A week and a bit after purchasing Active Lane Keeping as a Function on Demand (FoD) it eventually arrived with the help of the Porsche Connect Helpdesk.

IMG_5152.jpeg

IMG_5154.jpeg

Driver Assist Tube before activation:

IMG_5150.jpeg

Driver Assist Tube after activation:

IMG_5155.jpeg

I feel comfortable with the combination of ACC + Active Lane Keeping for long motorway is ideal. Skipping out on InnoDrive this time, which I did have from factory on my 4S.

To "prepare" for this configuration, I had actually deactivated InnoDrive for my last month with the 4S – including on some cross-country trips during the holidays – and found that I didn't really use it or miss it.

But deactivating it did help ease me into this configuration on the Turbo S.
Thanks for posting. I am interested to know how much difference this extra feature makes. The basic one seems to provide very limited and patchy assistance and if left to it’s own devices would let you bounce between the lines on a motorway lane or just miss the line completely and let you cross it. Is the extra paid for version better? Does it reliably keep you between the lines - if it can see them? And what happens if you turn off the LKA but keep the ALK on? Are they different somehow or is one just a better/enhanced version of the other?

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, the Active Lane Keeping is much better then the default Lane Keep Assist – in that it attempts to keep you in the middle of the detected lane and it will provide auto steer inputs to do so.

The Lane Keep Assist seems more orientated in trying to react to a driver drifting over a lane – and thats it.

I feel like they are complimentary – in that they are focusing on slightly different things – but with Active Lane Keeping working – you shouldn't be drifting over the line anyways and triggering the Lane Keep Assist.

I keep both on but don't really think too much about Lane Keep Assist.

Active Lane Keeping – of course – has its limitations. I haven't driven a Tesla – but everything I read suggests their Autopilot is better solution. Active Lane Keeping can get situations wrong – like risk taking a motorway off-ramp if you are not attentive. And it wants you to keep your hands on the wheel at all time – which of course in Europe is a legal requirement anyways for Level II assistant systems.

The way I think about it is:
  • Reducing driver fatigue on longer trips – by taking out the constant little course corrections you have to subconsciously make.
  • Keeps the car on course when doing activities such as putting on sunglasses, grabbing some water to drink, pressing a button on the PCM. Doing these type of activities with Active Lane Keeping active feels much more stable and safer.

MrBlueSky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Winter shoes on.

46336876-E078-469E-82D3-CC7D04BF3146.jpeg

43C80FB0-9273-48CC-820D-8FBEA5F63F58.jpeg
Will be interesting to see the difference in consumption with these on. I have the same waiting to be put on to mine once I get home and they'll prove pretty useful if the current weather keeps up.

Porsche Taycan Thinking of upgrading the 4S to a Turbo or Turbo S snow (2)

By the way, it could just be the camera angle but, is your Porsche centre cap pointing a bit off in the first pic ;) ? Sad........but it's slow day (which is good where I am).

cityhpper

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4. 20" summers, 20" winters.
Country flag
Looks good, @tigerbalm ! I bought a (second hand) set of these rims myself some weeks ago, but still waiting for the tires to arrive at my lokal tyre dealer. Will do some testing over the next weeks between these and the current 19'' I'm using.

When do you plan to start your northbound adventure? Plenty of ice and snow along the E6 this year :like:

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When do you plan to start your northbound adventure? Plenty of ice and snow along the E6 this year :like:
Two and a bit weeks. Can't wait. I got the impression the snow was a bit late arriving this year (no?) just from looking at the traffic camera's – but can see recently its definitely arrived!

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@cityhpper We're incorporating Stavanger, Bergen and Ålesund this time too. What's your thoughts on the Atlantic Road – is it passable this time of year ? I'm really hoping to drive it – even if I needed to use our snow chains!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
@cityhpper We're incorporating Stavanger, Bergen and Ålesund this time too. What's your thoughts on the Atlantic Road – is it passable this time of year ? I'm really hoping to drive it – even if I needed to use our snow chains!
That Atlantic Road is awsome.

I am very jealous about your planned trip up North!

cityhpper

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4. 20" summers, 20" winters.
Country flag
Great choice, the west coast of Norway is beautiful also in winter time. Lots' of charging possibilities as well. From Molde, I would suggest to head for the small village of Bud, and then follow the coast (roads 6060 and 663, then onto 64) until you enter the Atlantic Road. The road is even more dramatic in winter, and is very seldom closed. You will have no issues due to snow, but gale winds directly from the North Atlantic can sometimes be a challenge.

Do make sure to stop at the resting area after the bridge of "Storseisundet" (if arriving from the south), and cirle the small hill using the artificial walkway installed there. Truely a dramatic location, well suited to the Taycan and its Irish crew.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Always interesting to see how smooth the underside of the Taycan is:

Porsche Taycan Thinking of upgrading the 4S to a Turbo or Turbo S IMG_5183

The front ceramic brakes without wheels:

Porsche Taycan Thinking of upgrading the 4S to a Turbo or Turbo S IMG_5178

And with the wheel turned out:

Porsche Taycan Thinking of upgrading the 4S to a Turbo or Turbo S IMG_5181

This picture isn't very clear but the air suspension looked really chunky and all the ducting directing air to cool the brakes:

Porsche Taycan Thinking of upgrading the 4S to a Turbo or Turbo S IMG_5182

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Will be interesting to see the difference in consumption with these on.
So did a spin from Dublin to Galway – 95% motorway – still driving it like a Turbo S should!

Last two weeks (on the summers) my consumption was hovering at the 29 kWh/100km and today I ended up in Galway with an average of 25.6 kWh/100km.

So happy enough with that.
Sponsored