devs1791

First Name
Arunabha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I made a big mistake today. Crashed my Taycan into a cement pillar while backing out of a parking spot. It really hurts to see this much damage on my beautiful car.

I live in the greater Seattle area. Any recommendations on a repair shop, or should I reach out to the collision center at the local Porsche dealership ?

Porsche Taycan This is really painful... crashed my Taycan into a cement pillar tempImagexRRjSc

Porsche Taycan This is really painful... crashed my Taycan into a cement pillar tempImageDzO8J4

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Holy schnikes. Did you pull out really fast?

Find a Porsche certified collision center. Your dealer should be able to refer you to one.

OP
OP

devs1791

First Name
Arunabha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Holy schnikes. Did you pull out really fast?

Find a Porsche certified collision center. Your dealer should be able to refer you to one.
Yeah, I did. Did not even check the cameras while backing up. Don't know what was on my mind at the time.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
Take it to Queen City Auto - only shop ill let touch my cars. Sorry to see\hear about your damage :\

OP
OP

devs1791

First Name
Arunabha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Looks like the entire driver side door needs to be replaced. Any ideas on how long this can take ?

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
another vote for Queen City. Had them respray my 911 a few years back for getting rid of a severe case of road rash They did an amazing job. Make sure to schedule your PPF as well :)

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/misjudged-pillar-at-underground-car-park.4514/

I did similar – and though yours looks (and is) a lot worse – even my scrape took a three days of body shop work to repair and repaint.

I was told mine was "very close" to requiring a new door and if it was going through insurance – it wasn't – they would likely have done that.

They mentioned that a new door would have been around €5,000 plus labour to repaint. So in Europe I'm guessing your repair would be around:

€5,000 (door) + €1,500 (labour to fit + paint) + €1,200 (mirror) = €7,700

I suspect the mirrors come unpainted and will need to be sprayed as well.

I was also told that the aluminium used on the doors of the Taycan are so focused on being lightweight that they crumple really easily.

I bet the collision with the pillar felt less serious than the damage shows.

It looks like all the damage is focused on the door and not the fender body panels – at least thats a good thing. Outside of the cost – it will be relatively easy to repair to perfection.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
As a silver lining it looks like it only impacted the door panel, so at least it's only 1 replacement panel vs 2 if you had hit the fender too

OP
OP

devs1791

First Name
Arunabha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/misjudged-pillar-at-underground-car-park.4514/

I did similar – and though yours looks (and is) a lot worse – even my scrape took a three days of body shop work to repair and repaint.

I was told mine was "very close" to requiring a new door and if it was going through insurance – it wasn't – they would likely have done that.

They mentioned that a new door would have been around €5,000 plus labour to repaint. So in Europe I'm guessing your repair would be around:

€5,000 (door) + €1,500 (labour to fit + paint) + €1,200 (mirror) = €7,700

I suspect the mirrors come unpainted and will need to be sprayed as well.

I was also told that the aluminium used on the doors of the Taycan are so focused on being lightweight that they crumple really easily.

I bet the collision with the pillar felt less serious than the damage shows.

It looks like all the damage is focused on the door and not the fender body panels – at least thats a good thing. Outside of the cost – it will be relatively easy to repair to perfection.
Thanks for the info. Really helpful. I agree, the impact did not feel as big as the damage.
Also, the cost isn’t a worry, but just that I love this car and it feels really bad seeing this. Also, the Taycan is my daily driver, so need to get a different car for the next few weeks or more.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the info. Really helpful. I agree, the impact did not feel as big as the damage.
Also, the cost isn’t a worry, but just that I love this car and it feels really bad seeing this. Also, the Taycan is my daily driver, so need to get a different car for the next few weeks or more.
Yeah, getting the door and mirror might be the biggest drama with the current supply chain woes. Will all depend if there is stock somewhere in North America or if it will have to be ordered from Germany.

Out of interest did it happen in your home car park (mine did) or when you were out and about? In Ireland at least, the lack of a drivers side mirror makes the car illegal on the road – and it would have to be flat-bedded to dealer/body shop.

Keep us updated and good luck.

OP
OP

devs1791

First Name
Arunabha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Yeah, getting the door and mirror might be the biggest drama with the current supply chain woes. Will all depend if there is stock somewhere in North America or if it will have to be ordered from Germany.

Out of interest did it happen in your home car park (mine did) or when you were out and about? In Ireland at least, the lack of a drivers side mirror makes the car illegal on the road – and it would have to be flat-bedded to dealer/body shop.

Keep us updated and good luck.
The replacement availability is what I am worried about. Also, this happened at my apartment parking. I had parked at a spot I don't usually do, and didn't realize there was a pillar while backing out.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Sorry to see that. Those evil concrete pillars are ninjas and sneak up on you when you least expect it.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The replacement availability is what I am worried about. Also, this happened at my apartment parking. I had parked at a spot I don't usually do, and didn't realize there was a pillar while backing out.
The very same thing as me then!

I was being lazy and pulled into another spot for a minute to get out of the way of a recycling truck that was driving out and crunch! I misjudged the pillar which was more inside the car parking space than the line suggested – where as the pillar near my own spot is outside the line.
Sponsored