"This is the slowest Porsche for over 30 years"

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Not saying this is an important figure, but it was still interesting... http://autozine.org/0_News/Archive/2021_01/News_frame.html

143 mph. This is the top speed of the entry-level Porsche Taycan that's simply called Taycan. It is therefore the slowest Porsche since the 944 2.7, which went out of production in 1989. You might argue that it is electronically regulated, and its 0-60 acceleration is much better at 5.1 seconds, but still, on Autobahn it would be beaten by the likes of 944 S, 944 Turbo, 968 in any forms or the earliest 2.5-liter Boxster. Oh yes, a Ford Fiesta ST is 1 mph faster.​
Sponsored

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
What a wierd comparison.
Besides, a Taycan will be quicker to that topspeed anyway so it's a stupid article just for clicks and you bought it. :)

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
Even the original diesel Panamera was faster loool

OP
OP
Tay Tay

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What a wierd comparison.
Besides, a Taycan will be quicker to that topspeed anyway so it's a stupid article just for clicks and you bought it. :)
But with a faster top speed they will eventually pass you LOL. As a kid who had a poster with all those Porsches on his wall (minus the Boxster) I thought it was interesting nonetheless. Also I may or may not have exceeded that speed (on a track) so it’s not irrelevant.

Porsche Taycan "This is the slowest Porsche for over 30 years" 73BCEA45-5C8C-45F6-BA8E-174C4D43BB37

Reactions: Dee
OP
OP
Tay Tay

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That reminds me that even the Taycan Turbo was top speed limited on the Nurburgring, wasn’t it? I remember thinking that it could’ve picked up a few seconds on the last straightaway and maybe this was Porsche sandbagging it.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Yeah, go and drive another sub-$80K (or whatever a Taycan Base costs) Porsche from the last 30 years, then the Taycan, *then* tell me how slow it is.

OP
OP
Tay Tay

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, go and drive another sub-$80K (or whatever a Taycan Base costs) Porsche from the last 30 years, then the Taycan, *then* tell me how slow it is.
Not sure what this means? Cayman S/GTS and Macan GTS/Turbo are way quicker from the specs. Except for a really brief moment of instant torque they should all be/feel a lot faster. I haven’t driven a base Taycan but I’ve driven everything else. I guarantee that in a Carwow drag race the base Taycan would lose every test.

I hope this doesn’t come across as too negative... the base Taycan is still an interesting car.

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The base boxster is significantly faster and cheaper.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
But with a faster top speed they will eventually pass you LOL. As a kid who had a poster with all those Porsches on his wall (minus the Boxster) I thought it was interesting nonetheless. Also I may or may not have exceeded that speed (on a track) so it’s not irrelevant.

73BCEA45-5C8C-45F6-BA8E-174C4D43BB37.jpeg
I once did 305km/h on an empty highway early in the morning in a 992 C4S.
On most tracks I don't think you can obtain that speed so I'm pretty happy with my new PR!
In my Taycan I did 256 so far.

Porsche Taycan "This is the slowest Porsche for over 30 years" Screenshot_20200822-083226

Last edited:

Pete85

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, X1 hybrid
Country flag
Not sure what this means? Cayman S/GTS and Macan GTS/Turbo are way quicker from the specs. Except for a really brief moment of instant torque they should all be/feel a lot faster. I haven’t driven a base Taycan but I’ve driven everything else. I guarantee that in a Carwow drag race the base Taycan would lose every test.

I hope this doesn’t come across as too negative... the base Taycan is still an interesting car.
I haven't driven a base Taycan yet (who has?) but I think you are wrong. The 4S is much faster as the specs say, so the same will apply to the base Taycan too. I would bet quite a bit the Taycan being faster as a Macan GTS. It will be sub 5 sec car even if Porsche states 5.4 sec. And reaction to throttle and instant acceleration makes it also feel faster. On top speed the Taycan will lose of course.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
top speed in an EV is really really mostly a waste - it's not legal (except in rare place) and any sustained time above 100 mph is really really going to suck the battery dry in almost no time…

there is nothing better than a high powered EV for zipping around town at legal limit speeds…

OP
OP
Tay Tay

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I haven't driven a base Taycan yet (who has?) but I think you are wrong. The 4S is much faster as the specs say, so the same will apply to the base Taycan too. I would bet quite a bit the Taycan being faster as a Macan GTS. It will be sub 5 sec car even if Porsche states 5.4 sec. And reaction to throttle and instant acceleration makes it also feel faster. On top speed the Taycan will lose of course.
You're on. What do you want to bet that a 2020/2021 Macan GTS with sport chrono beats a base 2021 Taycan with sport chrono 0-60? I would literally take this bet for pink slips.

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You're on. What do you want to bet that a 2020/2021 Macan GTS with sport chrono beats a base 2021 Taycan with sport chrono 0-60? I would literally take this bet for pink slips.
The GTS Macan would eat it alive ? it does 0-60 in like 4.3

carwow just did a review of the Taycan RWD and it was exactly what has been said here. It is slower than it should be and did 0.60 in 5.1... He even said it doesn’t feel as fast as it is.

Your original post in this thread was just an observation it wasn’t even you insulting the car. You just stated facts. It’s over 2 tonnes with 400ish horsepower at launch and less when moving, of course it will feel lazy.
Sponsored