Thoughts after spending one and half day with a Taycan Turbo

element

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG GT
Country flag
Spent one and half day with a Taycan Turbo.

Love the car. Much longer than my previous sports car AMG GT 5m v 4.5m.

Have the following thoughts:

Have to custom order a MY22 car to avoid the potential software issues and any existing bugs. Hopefully Porsche address the potential power loss issue listed in the forum. Personally i had bad experience with first generation AUdi a7. Their transmission was a joke and had to be replaced 2 times. I lost power once on the street. it was a horrible experience. hope Porsche resolve the inquiry.

A rear steering is a must. The demo car does not have the rear steering, it is a struggle to turn this car in the car park. Even harder than my AMG GT. A RS6 with the rear steering feels nimbler than Taycan without rear steering.

Love the sports sound but miss the V8 roar.

The autolift is a very smart feature when you are close to your home.

The sub second clock really bothered me as the clock was ticking all the time. Great to look at but bothered me sometimes when i drove.

Bose with Spotify premium input is all right but would order Burmester as i had great experience with standard Burmester on my GT.

It is a struggle to charge Taycan and have to bring your own cable and adapter to make it work.

This car attracts a big crowd wherever i go just like my GT :)

The rear seats are fine for an average person if the driver is not very tall.

Front boot is very useful.

Range is not accurate if you use sports or sports plus mode and have to rely on the battery percentage.

Given the range, it is a more practical sports car than 911 and a fun car.
Sponsored

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Have to custom order a MY22 car to avoid the potential software issues and any existing bugs.
One can expect that Porsche will apply updates to MY2020 and MY2021 cars too. Your idea to wait for a MY2022 car because of this seems unnecessary.

It is a struggle to charge Taycan and have to bring your own cable and adapter to make it work.
Are you talking about charging at home or on the road ?
Here in the Netherlands it's not an issue anymore on the road, but then again we're a tiny country compared to Australia ;)
And being able to charge the car to 85%(or 100% for a longer trip) overnight at home is great.

OP
OP

element

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG GT
Country flag
I was told by the salesman that My2021’s cables are much tidier than My2020. I bought cars from him before and that’s why I assume My2022 would improve.

in Australia, there is limited infrastructure because electric car sales are only 1% of the total sales.

initially I wanted to buy a cross truisimo but decided to order just normal taycan because of the limited infrastructure and
Limited range.

One can expect that Porsche will apply updates to MY2020 and MY2021 cars too. Your idea to wait for a MY2022 car because of this seems unnecessary.

Are you talking about charging at home or on the road ?
Here in the Netherlands it's not an issue anymore on the road, but then again we're a tiny country compared to Australia ;)
And being able to charge the car to 85%(or 100% for a longer trip) overnight at home is great.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
have to say i disagree with many of your points

Taycan like any modern car regardless of MY will have issues. Porsche are running big updates on previous MY already so i would not worry about that.

the sports chrono clock wont be a distraction after some time

the normal burmester in the AMG GT is below the level of the Bose in the Taycan

With or without RWS Taycan is far more nimble than an RS6

in reality you will charge at home and then at a rapid charger, both of which will have a tethered cable

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
"the normal burmester in the AMG GT is below the level of the Bose in the Taycan" -Taycanturbolon don

I would have to agree with Don's opinion. My listening experience with the Burmester in the Mercedes (S class and GT) seemed underwhelming in contrast to the Taycan's Bose. However, when it comes to the Taycan, there's a discernable difference in improved sound quality and performance with the Burmester upgrade in comparison to the Bose. That said, I opted for the standard Bose package as it more than satisfies my listening pleasure.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
A rear steering is a must. The demo car does not have the rear steering, it is a struggle to turn this car in the car park. Even harder than my AMG GT. A RS6 with the rear steering feels nimbler than Taycan without rear steering.
I was actually shocked by how much better the turning radius was than my 550i, which is essentially the exact same size as the Taycan. I was able to do a U-turn on a narrow two-lane road just borrowing about 2 feet from somebody's driveway. With my current car, I wouldn't have even bothered -- I just would've pulled straight into his driveway and backed out. And this is without RAS!

But with that said, I also opted for RAS. I don't like how big my 550 feels, and everyone with RAS says it makes the Taycan feel almost as small as a 911. I'm sure there's some rose-tinted exaggeration there, but certainly it is the sort of thing I want.

Love the sports sound but miss the V8 roar.
With a lot of modern V8s you still don't get that roar.

This car attracts a big crowd wherever i go just like my GT :)
Yes it does. I was surprised by that. For a lot of people, Porsche styling is kind of an acquired taste. I think they look fantastic, but to most people it seems to be "meh." The Taycan, though, was getting head-turning, jaw-dropping, stop-and-stare reactions from everyone it drove past on our test drive. So much so that I was starting to wonder if someone had given it a "special" paint job of the sort that Clarkson, Hammond, and May often give each other.

OP
OP

element

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG GT
Country flag
Bose v burmester
I think that’s a personal opinion. My wife is a contemporary singer and she felt the standard burmester in the GT had more clarify and more depth. When she used sportify premium input, she felt the difference.

taycan v rs6

rs6 and taycan have the same length 4950mm. I could not find the turning radius for both cars. I personally feel rs6 with a rear steering is more nimble than the taycan without one. Everyone may feel different. Taycan with one may be better but didn’t have the chance to test drive.
Sponsored