Thoughts on discount for unused 'used' 2020 Taycan

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Hi,

I have a 4S on order for myself but we've been going back and forth for a car for my wife. I found a 2020 model in a color she likes. The dealer says the car is new but since they are not supposed to have new 2020 models in stock, as per Porsche terms, it's listed as 'Used'. Is that plausible?

Secondly, they're offering a 10% discount on MSRP for this heavily optioned car. Is that too low for a car that's been sitting on the lot for a long time (production date May 2020).

Lastly they say it was punched as 'in-service' in April 2021 and that's when the factory warranty started. Car has less than 50 miles on it and lists with no previous owner. It's also finance or purchase only, no lease.

I'm just wondering if this is worth considering and at what discount?

Thoughts appreciated.
Sponsored

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I’d vote: go for it even if it’s a model year 2020.
just keep in mind all info about delivery delays, waiting lists, etc….
Of course, they have to upload all new software fixes.

OP
OP
GG77

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Yeah I'm thinking if I can get good finance terms from someplace and if they give a solid enough discount, it's worth it. I'm just not sure what sort of discount is reasonable to negotiate for since there's such a shortage of vehicles in general. 25% off MSRP seems much in this case?

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
If they are offering 10%…ask 25% and take a deal for 15% ;)

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
It's effectively a two year old car at this point (with very low mileage). I would say 20% at least.

Make sure it's still eligible for the $7500 tax credit.

OP
OP
GG77

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
It's effectively a two year old car at this point (with very low mileage). I would say 20% at least.
Yeah 20 to 25. You're right re 2 yr old car and the immediate depreciation as soon as I take it off the lot. I don't even know if there's going to be a lot of PCM and electronics gremlins in it and if they've already applied some updates or not.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Usually a 20-25% would be expected but given the
Yeah 20 to 25. You're right re 2 yr old car and the immediate depreciation as soon as I take it off the lot. I don't even know if there's going to be a lot of PCM and electronics gremlins in it and if they've already applied some updates or not.
The dealer cannot sell you the car before performing the power loss recall which forces them to first install WMA5, so the car should come with all available software updates.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
GG77

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Usually a 20-25% would be expected but given the

The dealer cannot sell you the car before performing the power loss recall which forces them to first install WMA5, so the car should come with all available software updates.
Honestly i was hoping they'd already applied all updates and tested it out. When I asked on the phone the guy simply said the car is recall free. I don't think I'm going to take his word on that lol

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
I bought my '20 in May off the lot. 14% off but it wasn't stamped, so full warranty. My production date was Aug 2020.

They need to go more than 10%, but I can guarantee they will not go 20% on a new car, regardless of the fact that it's leftover, look at the price of used ones... not worth it to take the loss, someone will come along and buy it.

Somewhere around 12% is breakeven for the dealer, I'm told at 14% my dealer took a $2k loss on the car to move it. I inquired on every leftover '20 4S on the East Coast before I closed on mine, and 14% was the best I could do on any of them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GG77

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
I bought my '20 in May off the lot. 14% off but it wasn't stamped, so full warranty. My production date was Aug 2020.

They need to go more than 10%, but I can guarantee they will not go 20% on a new car, regardless of the fact that it's leftover, look at the price of used ones... not worth it to take the loss, someone will come along and buy it.

Somewhere around 12% is breakeven for the dealer, I'm told at 14% my dealer took a $2k loss on the car to move it. I inquired on every leftover '20 4S on the East Coast before I closed on mine, and 14% was the best I could do on any of them.
Ty.. My accountant can live with 20 if they do that. You had any issues with yours post purchase?

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Ty.. My accountant can live with 20 if they do that. You had any issues with yours post purchase?
Going on 3k miles completely trouble free. Had the big update done before I picked it up. Very happy with it.

Gunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E63S
Country flag
I honestly think that 20-25% off is a fair number, given it has been sitting on the lot for a year, has a punched warranty, and will be a 2 MY old car in the next few months. Probably could get that number in normal times.

BUT....this is a crazy, crazy market right now and dealers are in a position of power given the low supply. I shopped 2020 models pretty extensively in the past few months and NO dealer would go to 20%. Leading with that number usually led to no reply to the email. I think that 15% is a reasonable number to aim for. Depending on the specific dealer situation, you may be able to get 17-18%

It does have to be sold as a used car even though it is actually new. but since it has never been registered, you can still get the tax credit.

OP
OP
GG77

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
I honestly think that 20-25% off is a fair number, given it has been sitting on the lot for a year, has a punched warranty, and will be a 2 MY old car in the next few months. Probably could get that number in normal times.

BUT....this is a crazy, crazy market right now and dealers are in a position of power given the low supply. I shopped 2020 models pretty extensively in the past few months and NO dealer would go to 20%. Leading with that number usually led to no reply to the email. I think that 15% is a reasonable number to aim for. Depending on the specific dealer situation, you may be able to get 17-18%

It does have to be sold as a used car even though it is actually new. but since it has never been registered, you can still get the tax credit.
Thanks. The dealer seems pretty motivated to move it so I'm hoping for the best when I go in.

You're right though, supply v demand is crazy.
Sponsored