Thoughts on Park Assist with Surround View vs Reversing Cameras

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Hi all, I have seen many of the recommendations on this forum is to spec park assist with surround view over just the reversing camera.

In the test drive I had the “pleasure“ of experiencing reversing with the non surround view option and found the distorted view very disconcerting. Unfortunately I have gotten used to only being able to reverse using the guidelines due to my last two vehicles having really good quality reversing cameras.

Admittedly on my test drive I only got to reverse into a car park space once…and although the view seemed super squashed up I eventually managed to park!

So what I would really like to know from those who have the surround view option is How that helps in real day usage when it comes to reversing say into a car park spot in comparison to the standard reversing camera? Is it the case where you need to select different views before reversing in to get a better feel of where your going? I can imagine if that is the case it slows down the actual procedure of reverse parking…and as I’m sure we all agree sometimes you just need to get the car in ASAP due to blocking others in say a busy car park.

Looking forward to hearing your comments as now that the reversing camera is standard it’s one of the last options I am flicking between adding to my build when I eventually get a slot!
Sponsored

Adriansjo

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
For my test drive i got to test out the surround view, but ended up with a spec of only reverse camera to get the price down. That’s the single most missed option on my current build. The reverse camera is so bad compared to the surround view.
Would spec up surround view as the fist option next time

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I use the surround view as well to park. I find the overhead view helpful to guide into the spot and then use the front or rear camera to get as close to the back line as possible without going over it. Works fine and doesn’t slow me down.

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
I use the surround view as well to park. I find the overhead view helpful to guide into the spot and then use the front or rear camera to get as close to the back line as possible without going over it. Works fine and doesn’t slow me down.
My approach, exactly. Still gettng used to dimensions of the car: where’s the front (from driver’s seat), where’s the back, how wide is the car (especially compared to 911).

OP
OP

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I don't see what the fuss is nor do I have a distorted view ?
I can only describe what I seen in my test drive when reversing in that the whole image seemed to be really squashed in. The actual parking spot looked as though it was much thinner than what it was in reality. From reading other people’s reports most seem to think the “fisheye“ view is disorientating.

Having only done the one reverse manoeuvre perhaps it’s something that you get used to after a few attempts or something.