SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Tesla Model S (for sale)
Country flag
This was a difficult decision to come to, but I guess it needs to be made. I’ve decided to sell my Taycan.

It has been a wonderful experience, a fantastic ride, and through this community I’ve met many great and generous people, both virtually and in person.

I’ll wander back through occasionally, to see how everyone is doing.

Have fun, drive fast, take risks. Or be safe. You do you.
-Don

P.S. I miss my car already, and I haven’t even sold it yet. Dammit.
Thanks @louv for sharing your experience and knowledge. It was very useful and I really followed your US/Canada trip with joy. It kept my waiting time with excitement. Lately, I have not been very active and posting, but I kept reading your postings. Sorry for hearing you leaving:crying:, but you can check off one item of your bucket list;)
Sponsored

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
A great forum posting. Humbling. And one very cool cat!!!

Life is not about the material things we lose or gain, but the memories we create along the way.

If there's an instagram to follow to witness yours and your cat's next journey, please share it. I'm sure I speak for many in saying it would be of huge interest.
Follow along on Instagram @dclouv

I don’t post a lot there, but it’s the most general IG I have. It’s mostly cat & kitten photos. I foster kittens and volunteer at the spay/neuter clinic at my local shelter. (No, I’m not a vet, I just wash things, sterilize other things, and cuddle kittens & puppies coming out of anesthesia.)

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
@louv
It's been a real pleasure to share your Taycan journey with you!
You are a very talented , smart and sensible person; and I, for one, consider myself lucky to have been able to enjoy your litterary and photographic talents as well as your detailed technical posts.

Will definitely miss you but totally respect and understand your choice, wishing you a happy and meaningful life!

Merci,
Aurevoir et au plaisir!

glennkreisel

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Roadster, taycan turbo
Country flag
Why Go?
Six years ago, my life changed radically. Unplanned retirement, divorce, etc.
I decided on a path: I’d live my life as I wanted, making my own self happy, not stressing over money, answering to no one (except my cat), giving back to community and the world, spending or giving money at whatever rate kept me happy (read: as if I still has a six-figure job), and when the money ran out, I’d be Done.

Most people go the other way; they try to make their money stretch thin until... when? 80? 90? We don’t really know; it could be tomorrow or 40 years from tomorrow. Living frugally, but without joy. Worrying if there would be enough. Get sick. Getting old. Being sedentary and stationary. That is not the path that I choose.

I have no children. So I have no one relying on me. No one waiting for inheritance. Whatever is leftover will go to charities.

This is not the path most people choose. Our society frowns upon it. It is even illegal. My friends will not like my departure. But, my true friends will understand this is who I am, and I’ve never really done what was expected.

I have lived an amazing, fulfilling, fortunate life. I have known and loved incredible people. I have traveled more than most have a chance to. I have no regrets. Well, maybe a few.

There’s no imminent departure planned. Selling this car gives me another year or two, depending how I choose to experience it.

Live your life courageously. Give back to the universe and your neighbors. Be generous with your time, your strength, and your wealth.
Amazing.. Many of the same thoughts and philosophies I guide me life by. More power to you Louv! You seem like a great thoughtful person and may life bring you everything you need to be happy!

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
Don -

It goes without saying that I really enjoyed your posts, especially the way you approached debugging the Taycan battery problem. I love the scientific and dispassionate way you approached that problem, and feel that I directly benefited from your engineering expertise.

I'm not sure of all the factors behind your message above, but absent a terminal illness I'd like to ask that you think twice about being "Done" when the money runs out. We need caring, helpful people in our world more than ever, and over time I've learned that it isn't just your own pursuit of happiness that matters, it is the difference you make in the lives of others.

While exchanging posts about an expensive car doesn't move the needle a whole lot in terms of social good, I'm sure it is emblematic of your ability to selflessly help others and make a difference. You are the sort of person I'd like as a neighbor, and as a friend.

From the bottom of my heart let me wish you good health and happiness no matter where your adventure takes you.
Very well said Sam. Don, @louv, you have been an inspiration to all of us. I remember reading about your adventures long before I found this forum. It's what helped convince me to go from reserving a build slot to committing to purchase (yes I've been drooling over this car since the prototype, and the test drive blew my mind, but could it really...wow look at this guy who drove through Canada's snow! Yes, yes the Taycan can).

I agree with Sam, you have been enormously helpful and generous to all of us, I'm sure you are equally as kind and generous in person. I would love to have known you in real life not just forum life. I fully respect your decision and think it's a courageous and well made plan.

However I must point out two things:

1. when I first joined the forum I read @daveo4EV very well written post about speed being a killer to efficiency and you posting back that you two should write a book on EV ownership/travel. You've yet to write that book.

2. Your cat. 'nuff said.

So take your time my friend, you have a lot more to give and enjoy. We all enjoy you, we will look forward to your subsequent posts and your pictures on your instagram. Good luck with your life's plans.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

1. when I first joined the forum I read @daveo4EV very well written post about speed being a killer to efficiency and you posting back that you two should write a book on EV ownership/travel. You've yet to write that book.

I humbly bow and step back, leaving the task in Dave’s very capable hands!

Now, if Porsche wants to PAY us to support their fast-growing ownership base, then perhaps I could be persuaded to do some (more) actual Work! :cool:

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
You are definitely a credit to the Porsche family - evidence that we're not all rich a-holes that are only focused on the material things. I've followed your amazing 'Jack Kerouac' travels with great interest. Congratulations on your decision to forge ahead with your next adventure. I do hope you'll continue to let us in on your unique and admirable life experiences.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
As I await receiving my car in 3 weeks it's sad to hear of your Taycan Forum departure.

I wish you happy journeys Don @louv, your contribution to the forum is huge. The first long (and still top) road trip thru snow and desert.

All the best to you and your cat .

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Buy the ticket,take the ride. Funny aside, my first name is Lou and my last name starts with V...so, every time I'd see a post from you here, I'd think that I posted something that I didn't remember.

Good luck on your trip. If you need someone to look after your cat, stop on through!

wreighven2015

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model X LR+, 2012 Porsche Cayenne, 2014 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition 4x4
Country flag
@louv I just wanted to take a moment and extent my best wishes to you and your paw family. My son and I thoroughly enjoyed following your epic road trip this past late Winter / early Spring, and inspired us to take our own long road trip this past Summer. Good luck in wherever your life's journey takes you...

Last edited:

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I'm really sorry to see you go Don. I thoroughly enjoyed following you daily on your road trip when you first got the Taycan. I also find your posts here both very informative and entertaining. It's been a real pleasure and I wish you the best wherever life may lead.

If nothing else, reading through the various comments in this thread show what a positive influence you have been on so many of us through your words and pictures.

Ron

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
I will be following a similar path in a few years, I am getting the Porsche out of the system and will be onto off the grid living next. Waiting for a plot to turn up. Good luck!

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Don, it has been a pleasure to know you through your travels and your other posts on these forums.

The open road beckons. Enjoy!

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Today is my car’s Cakeday. It rolled out of the factory on October 25, 2019.

And tomorrow, at just over 15,000 miles, I will drive it back to the dealership, and trade it for a check. Not as big a “check” as I gave them. But not horrible. Apparently it will go to another dealership who already has a customer for it. I hope they will love it as much as I did.

If you ever see a black on black Turbo with red front seat belts, snap a picture, and post it here. I want to see where my baby goes.

And, because I mentioned “It’s been a wonderful and fortunate life”, I figured I post a few lists.

A Little Biography

Places I’ve lived:
  • New Jersey
  • San Francisco, California
  • San Jose, California
  • Santa Cruz, California
  • Maui, Hawai’i
  • Mafraq, Jordan
  • Portland, Maine
US States I’ve visited:
  • All, including Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Guam
Countries I’ve visited: (* less than 24 hours)
  • England
  • Ireland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Italy
  • Spain
  • Monaco*
  • Switzerland
  • Austria
  • Sweden
  • Denmark
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland*
  • Russia*
  • Slovenia
  • Croatia
  • Mexico
  • Belize
  • Jamaica*
  • Haiti*
  • Iceland
  • Canada
  • Zimbabwe
  • Botswana
  • South Africa
  • Egypt
  • Tunisia*
  • Greece
  • Turkey
  • Malta*
  • Israel
  • Jordan
  • Ivory Coast
  • Bali, Indonesia
  • South Korea*
  • China
  • Hong Kong
  • Taiwan
  • Japan
Companies I’ve Worked for:
  • Apple (twice)
  • Microsoft
  • Dell
  • Barnes & Noble
  • Roundel Magazine
  • Convergent Technologies
  • Tandem
  • and a half-dozen tech startups
Humanitarian & Volunteer Work:
  • Doctors Without Borders
  • Humane Society of Silicon Valley
  • Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland
  • Habitat for Humanity
  • BMW Car Club of America
Vehicles I’ve Owned: (in order of acquisition)

1980 Honda Accord LX
1990 Acura Integra GS 6MT
1996 BMW Z3 1.9
1995 BMW e34 540i 6MT
1995 BMW e34 540iA
2000 Toyota Tundra 4WD SR5
2000 BMW e39 M5
1988 BMW e24 M6
2004 BMW e53 X5 4.4i
1989 BMW e32 750iL
2001 Toyota Tundra 4WD Limited TRD
2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe