Timing/Location of Software Update

Dak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Taycan 4s Neptune Blue
Country flag
I went out to get my morning coffee today and the car started a software update just as I was about to head back home. Obviously the car would not let me drive while the update was in progress and I was afraid to cancel or mess with it in any way lest it ended up bricking the car. Luckily the update lasted only about 5 mins or so (I don't even know what was updated). Shouldn't the car give you some choice as to when/where to update the software? What if I was rushing to get somewhere or what if the update takes more than just a few minutes? Having control over the software update is a must. At the very least one should have a few minutes of warning before the update is installed so that it can be cancelled if it's inconvenient to do at this time.
Sponsored

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
If I recall correctly, you can turn off automatic software updates in the menu.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Wait, you mean map update or software update? I don't think I have ever gotten an OTA software update in my 2020. Anyone else?

OP
OP

Dak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Taycan 4s Neptune Blue
Country flag
Wait, you mean map update or software update? I don't think I have ever gotten an OTA software update in my 2020. Anyone else?
I don’t know if it was a map update specifically. The car just said s/w update. I have a 2021 4S which is equipped to do OTA s/w updates.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Mine does map updates while driving around, though I think it annoyingly does interrupt media playback. And seems to be updating the maps pretty frequently which I guess is good.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Mine does map updates while driving around, though I think it annoyingly does interrupt media playback. And seems to be updating the maps pretty frequently which I guess is good.
It certainly is good to get map updates. But today I noticed that my map had a Petrol station shown ( not that I need it in the Taycan), that was stated as having 24 hour service.

Only issue is that the station has been closed and demolished since 6 years. So I guess we are still Duda hell of a lot of updates! Better getting used to the sound when installed!

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is annoying but you can turn it off at under the settings menu. See screenshot

Porsche Taycan Timing/Location of Software Update 20210224_085558

Porsche Taycan Timing/Location of Software Update 20210224_085626

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hey, also have the 2020, and I do get map up-dates - they seem to be more frequent recently. Haven't been driving the car the last couple of months, but every time I turn it on, I seem to get a new map update notification.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Driving around the country a year ago I used to get 3 to 5 map updates a day!

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I also get map updates regularly on my 2020. My curiosity is whether anyone (2020 or 2021) has every gotten a SOTA update of the infotainment system.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I also get map updates regularly on my 2020. My curiosity is whether anyone (2020 or 2021) has every gotten a SOTA update of the infotainment system.
Few months back my Apple Music icon changed from white to red. Vital update. Absolutely vital.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Few months back my Apple Music icon changed from white to red. Vital update. Absolutely vital.
Uh. No, that wasn’t an “update” that is called “ripening”. It happens to apples when you leave them on the tree… unless the birds get them… or worms… you don’t have worms, do you?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
FWIW: in the tesla the car will alert you that it has downloaded an update and will ask if and when you want to install it. having that ability might be something that porsche could implement.
Sponsored