Tinting Windows

chizwheel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7, Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I recently went to test drive a 4S. My build allocation is due now and I'm trying to finalize my specs. When I went on my test drive, I inquired about tinting the panoramic roof and the windows. I am planning to get infrared tinting of the windshield and darker tinting of the other windows along with the IR tint. The rep at the dealer said he didn't recommend it as it can lead to window cracking. I had never heard of window tinting leading to cracking of any problem on windows. Anyone else hear of this. I was debating on getting the insulated glass but I would rather save the $1000 and just do a tint job. It would also be cheaper to replace in case the windshield ever got cracked. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
"window cracking"? That rep is a moron.

I didn't get the special glass and instead have all my windows tinted, including 'clear' on the windshield. Had it performed by the service department at me dealer! The panoramic roof does not require tint. It is dark, already coated, and doesn't let in much heat.

OP
OP

chizwheel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7, Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ok thanks. That’s what I thought. Yours looks really good. I think I’ll do that too. Thanks again

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@dryii there are no restrictions on that dark of tinting for side windows of the driver in Florida? I don't think that would fly in California.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I have an appointment for July 13th to have nano ceramic tint applied to the windows and the windshield. The IR (heat) rejection rating for the film I will have applied to the 4 side windows and the rear window is about 90% IR rejection. I am not going very dark (35% light transmission tint meets Georgia limits). I will have "clear" nano ceramic film applied to the windshield (about 65% IR/heat rejection). The nano ceramic window tint film is non-metallic so it will not interfere with signals for the cell phone, radar detector, etc. The IR rejection rating is more important than the darkness of the tint for temperature (heat) control purposes.

I am not applying anything to the panoramic roof. I feel very little heat come through the roof,

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
there are no restrictions on that dark of tinting for side windows of the driver in Florida? I don't think that would fly in California.
I went with the darkest legally allowed. I think the law states a slightly lower level of darkness on the driver/passenger window than it does on rear.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I went with the darkest legally allowed. I think the law states a slightly lower level of darkness on the driver/passenger window than it does on rear.
Florida is 28% light transmission on front side windows and 15% light transmission on rear side windows and back window. Those are all pretty dark compared to other states.

rstr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I was thinking about ordering the standard tint. Do You know maybe - how dark is a standard tint (meaning % of light transmission), when You choose it in the config?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was thinking about ordering the standard tint. Do You know maybe - how dark is a standard tint (meaning % of light transmission), when You choose it in the config?
Unfortunately in the US, we cannot choose the window tint on the configurator. It is all aftermarket here.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Unfortunately in the US, we cannot choose the window tint on the configurator. It is all aftermarket here.
It is the same in Canada. No idea why. However, I like the aftermarket tints as I can fade from front to back with maximum allowed on the front.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is the same in Canada. No idea why. However, I like the aftermarket tints as I can fade from front to back with maximum allowed on the front.
Would love to see a picture of that when you get it Brad.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Would love to see a picture of that when you get it Brad.
even though I placed my deposit in September, I still don't have an allocation. It is getting expensive!! I keep adding options the longer I wait - my latest add is the carbon fibre side mirrors. One of the videos I watched on the weekend had it and I really liked it.

But yeah, when I get it I will post plenty of pictures.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
even though I placed my deposit in September, I still don't have an allocation. It is getting expensive!! I keep adding options the longer I wait - my latest add is the carbon fibre side mirrors. One of the videos I watched on the weekend had it and I really liked it.

But yeah, when I get it I will post plenty of pictures.
I understand, my freeze shifted about a month and poof I upgraded to the performance package :rolleyes:. Sigh...
So happy I am now frozen. :cool:
Sponsored