Tire life - what mileage are you guys experiencing?

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi I use summer and wintertyres. Having done two summer seasons and approx 18000km they are not having a lot of wear / tread left. Im only expecting around 25000 km.
What are your experiences?

edit: normal driving, limited track driving and riding 21” with pirelli pzero
Sponsored

Last edited:

GTSCarLife

First Name
GTS Car Life
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 997 GTS, 85.5 944, 16 Cayenne S, 23Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
@JacobDK I have a question for you. When tracking your Taycan, how do you prevent the parking brake from activating when you put the car in Park? Thanks

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've got nearly 20K miles on my original set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I was wondering about wear so I took my car to a local discount tire retailer (we all know Porsche service would say they're thrashed and try to sell me new tires at $900/ea) who told me that they're fine with at least another 15K miles of life left in them. I sure hope that's accurate.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Original set of Michelin PS4S - 20K miles and still going. Will be forced to absorb the cost of new tyres next week when I trade for my new GTS ST (dealer can only sell 2nd hand cars with a minimum tread depth (5mm I think)).

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've got nearly 20K miles on my original set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I was wondering about wear so I took my car to a local discount tire retailer (we all know Porsche service would say they're thrashed and try to sell me new tires at $900/ea) who told me that they're fine with at least another 15K miles of life left in them. I sure hope that's accurate.
I put 12K or so on PS4S when I sold my first Taycan. The dealer beat me up on trade due to the windshield needing replacement (true) but didn't say peep about the tires. They had plenty of life left.

Glad to hear you got 20K and stunned to hear you might get 15K more!

As soon as I burn up my pencil erasers (P-Zeros) I'll be fitting them again.

Reactions: B61

RPSRPS

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 TAYCAN GTS / '22 F150 HYBRID / '19 RANGER
Country flag
Original set of Michelin PS4S - 20K miles and still going. Will be forced to absorb the cost of new tyres next week when I trade for my new GTS ST (dealer can only sell 2nd hand cars with a minimum tread depth (5mm I think)).
Tell them you want the old tires back. Had dealer tell me that once ("have to put new tires on first thing before I sell") after we agreed on price and I acquiesced, next week I see it on lot with the original tires for sale as is.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
I would be very impressed with 20k+ wear on PS4S on such a heavy car.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I would be very impressed with 20k+ wear on PS4S on such a heavy car.
Indeed but the Michelin's just suit UK roads and in my experience on any Porsche I've owned where these are fitted, they just last.

I tend not to race about and have never launched the car so generally with sensible driving these mileages are easily achievable.

My Boxster S which I've had from new (11 years ago) is only on its second set of tyres for example.

MarkSCville

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Cross Turismo 4
Country flag
I have the 21" Continental All seasons and have 15,000 Miles and looks like I will get another 10,000 miles at least.

OP
OP
JacobDK

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
@JacobDK I have a question for you. When tracking your Taycan, how do you prevent the parking brake from activating when you put the car in Park? Thanks
Hi
Haven’t tried disabling the parking brake - and not aware if its possible. I only did 2-3 laps and the did cooling runs before parking.

OP
OP
JacobDK

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Indeed but the Michelin's just suit UK roads and in my experience on any Porsche I've owned where these are fitted, they just last.

I tend not to race about and have never launched the car so generally with sensible driving these mileages are easily achievable.

My Boxster S which I've had from new (11 years ago) is only on its second set of tyres for example.
I think the Michelins are a better bet for best tyrelife. The Pirellis are really grippy but in return do not have the best tyrelife as I see it.🧐

my winter tyres are 20” goodyear and they are holding up much better 😉

GTSCarLife

First Name
GTS Car Life
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Country flag
@JacobDK That is a real problem if the parking brake cannot be deactivated. Porsche is such a performance and track focused company, I have a hard time believing Porsche would not have some provision built in, because after driving on track, the parking brake CANNOT be used and the driver should avoid sitting at a full stop with his foot on the brake. I'll ask my dealer tech how to do it. Thanks

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
@JacobDK That is a real problem if the parking brake cannot be deactivated. Porsche is such a performance and track focused company, I have a hard time believing Porsche would not have some provision built in, because after driving on track, the parking brake CANNOT be used and the driver should avoid sitting at a full stop with his foot on the brake. I'll ask my dealer tech how to do it. Thanks
I wonder what would happen if you leave it in drive and then turn off the car - will that be the same as leaving it in ICE gear? Or just chalk the tires and leave in neutral?

GTSCarLife

First Name
GTS Car Life
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Country flag
I wonder what would happen if you leave it in drive and then turn off the car - will that be the same as leaving it in ICE gear? Or just chalk the tires and leave in neutral?
Yeah, I don't know. Just picked up ours 2 1/2 weeks ago and figured someone would have the answer!

Greenmachine

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 Range Rover, Tacoma
Country flag
I managed 10k miles on the original summer tires and then had to admit that it was dangerous to keep driving. I was shocked how easily they wore out but it was a fun first 10,000 miles. It’ll be interesting to see if my driving mellows and the tires last a little longer now.
Sponsored

• Wow
Reactions: B61