Tire life - what mileage are you guys experiencing?

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
@JacobDK That is a real problem if the parking brake cannot be deactivated. Porsche is such a performance and track focused company, I have a hard time believing Porsche would not have some provision built in, because after driving on track, the parking brake CANNOT be used and the driver should avoid sitting at a full stop with his foot on the brake. I'll ask my dealer tech how to do it. Thanks
The parking brake doesn't activate the regular brake calipers so you don't need to worry about activating them at the end of a track session. The parking brake uses a separate drum brake setup inside the rear rotor bell and won't see anywhere near the temps of the rotor surface (I've measured). That said, when I've come into the pits hot, mid-session to check tire or brake temps, I'll still use a wheel chock. But end of session after a cool down lap, it's not a concern at all.

As for tire wear, 20k on 20" Pirelli P7s. I wore out the inside edges at about 10k and flipped the tires on the rim. If you pay for the whole tire I expect to use the whole tire, it's also better for the environment. Here's a pic at 20k, probably could have gone another 5k or so in dry conditions but winter arrived and had to put all-seasons (Conti Procontact RX) on for drives up to Tahoe.
Porsche Taycan Tire life - what mileage are you guys experiencing? IMG_9157

Best tip for extending tire life - check your pressures or run them higher than spec by a few psi.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JacobDK

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
@JacobDK That is a real problem if the parking brake cannot be deactivated. Porsche is such a performance and track focused company, I have a hard time believing Porsche would not have some provision built in, because after driving on track, the parking brake CANNOT be used and the driver should avoid sitting at a full stop with his foot on the brake. I'll ask my dealer tech how to do it. Thanks
I agree when tracking it hard - I just havn’t 😝

why don’t you just select “Neutral” and park somewhere flat so it can’t roll?

OP
OP
JacobDK

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I managed 10k miles on the original summer tires and then had to admit that it was dangerous to keep driving. I was shocked how easily they wore out but it was a fun first 10,000 miles. It’ll be interesting to see if my driving mellows and the tires last a little longer now.
What tyres are on your car?

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
I got 15000 miles before needing a full set of boots.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Goodyear Asymmetric that came on the car. RWD with 21 Mission E and 7,340 miles on it. I drive 1.5 miles to work and around town. On the weekend longer drives, but nothing more than 20-50 miles.

The SA sent a message that " the tires all have about 4.5-2MM of remaining tread." This is incorrect, they replaced one of the rears in October 2022 and my car has been stuck at the shop since January 21, 2023 with the red electrical error.

Does this sound like abnormal wear or is there some life left in them? I asked for a quote just to compare. Going to suggest they replace them as a goodwill gesture :p

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Goodyear Asymmetric that came on the car. RWD with 21 Mission E and 7,340 miles on it. I drive 1.5 miles to work and around town. On the weekend longer drives, but nothing more than 20-50 miles.

The SA sent a message that " the tires all have about 4.5-2MM of remaining tread." This is incorrect, they replaced one of the rears in October 2022 and my car has been stuck at the shop since January 21, 2023 with the red electrical error.

Does this sound like abnormal wear or is there some life left in them? I asked for a quote just to compare. Going to suggest they replace them as a goodwill gesture :p
I have Done about 34000 km on my set with Goodyear F1 Assymetric on 21 Inch. And still 4.5 to 5 mm left on all tyres. Wear is very even across all tyres as well

Unless you have an alignment problem or have had incorrect pressures it would sound very strange to me??

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I can't speak to the goodyears but I barely crossed 10K with Contis before they wore through to cord failure on an RWD. I'd certainly say it's plausible.

Do you really want to burn goodwill on a standard wear item though? I'd rather save that good will for something big. Just me.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can't speak to the goodyears but I barely crossed 10K with Contis before they wore through to cord failure on an RWD. I'd certainly say it's plausible.

Do you really want to burn goodwill on a standard wear item though? I'd rather save that good will for something big. Just me.
Thanks Derek. I knew some guys were getting way more mileage, but all the weight on the rears with the RWD and '21's and my spirited driving, guess its time.

The emoji was after the goodwill comment as I was just kidding. They have already stepped to the plate with a goodwill gesture due to my car being down for what is going to be over 70 days.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have Done about 34000 km on my set with Goodyear F1 Assymetric on 21 Inch. And still 4.5 to 5 mm left on all tyres. Wear is very even across all tyres as well

Unless you have an alignment problem or have had incorrect pressures it would sound very strange to me??
I keep the tire pressure on my left tube to monitor, but an alignment could be a potential cause. I do have the wheel and tire warranty, doubt it covers normal wear, but maybe abnormal? Need to read the document.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dealer wants $2,310 for the Goodyear F1 Asymetrics installed with an alignment plus tax. Tire Rack has them for $1,772. Checking my regular tire guy, but sounds high to me (just worry about the alignment at my tire guy as I am sure they have not done many Taycan's).

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
Dealer wants $2,310 for the Goodyear F1 Asymetrics installed with an alignment plus tax. Tire Rack has them for $1,772. Checking my regular tire guy, but sounds high to me (just worry about the alignment at my tire guy as I am sure they have not done many Taycan's).
What makes you think you need an alignment?

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What makes you think you need an alignment?
The dealer quoted the alignment in their cost to replace the 4 tires so I was shopping the price. Turns out my tire quy will include it at no additional cost.

I feel like I have not gotten sufficient mileage from the tires so the alignment could potentially be the cause could it not?

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
Sure, it cou
The dealer quoted the alignment in their cost to replace the 4 tires so I was shopping the price. Turns out my tire quy will include it at no additional cost.

I feel like I have not gotten sufficient mileage from the tires so the alignment could potentially be the cause could it not?
Sure, it could be a cause...

Did your tire guy or the tire wear pattern suggest alignment issues?

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sure, it cou

Sure, it could be a cause...

Did your tire guy or the tire wear pattern suggest alignment issues?
Waiting on getting the car back from the dealer after 70+ days. The dealer called to ask if I wanted them to put new ones on while they changed the HV cell (guess they finally are looking at the car now that the part arrived). I am going to use my tire guy as I have bought a lot of tires through him and usually get a better price. Will update once I know more.
Sponsored