ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So at least in the USA the Taycan can be fitted with all season Continentals or Michelin Pilot Sport 4 summer (more like three-season) tires for the same price.
Also there is a winter tire option that @louv has as he lives in Maine.

I am in sunny and sometimes rainy California. Don't travel to snow much at all.

Looking for recommendations and trade-offs.
I hear all season are not so good as they are still a soft rubber.

Thinking about rolling resistance, safety in rain, summer performance.
I know that the only real solution would be changing tires seasonally, but I don't want to go there.

Figured lots of great resources on this forum that have performance heavy cars that would have some great tips.

Thanks in advance. :)
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Performance car = performance tires. The tires are the only thing that touches the road. I rent something from Silvercar if I'm going to drive anywhere cold (like Tahoe) anyway. So I just run PS4's all the time on the Macan. Summer tires usually are great in the rain, they just suck in the cold.

If the Taycan is your beater, then I'd leave the all-seasons on there just for convenience, because you'd probably be driving your other cars for fun.

For me, I'm not buying a 600+ HP car to put crappy tires on.

TriTaycan

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Is there a difference in range between summer vs all season? I feel like the difference in range reported between 19/20" wheels vs 21" wheels is actually tire rolling resistance difference, so wondering if there are 21" tires that have more or less range.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Miwa: I accept the compromise otherwise the car would be put away for 5 months of the year (and I already have 3 cars in that category).

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Is there a difference in range between summer vs all season? I feel like the difference in range reported between 19/20" wheels vs 21" wheels is actually tire rolling resistance difference, so wondering if there are 21" tires that have more or less range.
The stickier and wider the tires are, the worse mileage you're going to get. It's rolling resistance and aerodynamics, as the wider tire will have contact with more air.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Performance car = performance tires. The tires are the only thing that touches the road. I rent something from Silvercar if I'm going to drive anywhere cold (like Tahoe) anyway. So I just run PS4's all the time on the Macan. Summer tires usually are great in the rain, they just suck in the cold.

If the Taycan is your beater, then I'd leave the all-seasons on there just for convenience, because you'd probably be driving your other cars for fun.

For me, I'm not buying a 600+ HP car to put crappy tires on.
I have to agree - I live in Cincinnati where we have 9 months of sun/rain/40-90 deg weather and three months of winter, with some snow but not heavy. I always have used summer tires in the 9 months and witer in the 3. As we're taught on the racetrack, there is nothing more important on your car than the tires. I had Conti's on my Panamera GTS when I first got it, and switched to the Michelin Pilot Sports and it transformed the car. I would never skrimp on the tires in a car as performance oriented as this one - performance in the summer, and winter in the winter.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The stickier and wider the tires are, the worse mileage you're going to get. It's rolling resistance and aerodynamics, as the wider tire will have contact with more air.
Thanks Miwa, totally agree with that comment on the 21"; however, the Porsche range calculator can show up to 2 mile more range on the 20" over the 19".
I assume, but have not confirmed, the wheels are actually lighter such that the whole unsprung weight is less.

See other thread
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/19-vs-20.719/post-7632
And tool in thread
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...mator-based-on-wltp-like-figures-for-usa.733/

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks Miwa, totally agree with that comment on the 21"; however, the Porsche range calculator can show up to 2 mile more range on the 20" over the 19".
I assume, but have not confirmed, the wheels are actually lighter such that the whole unsprung weight is less.

See other thread
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/19-vs-20.719/post-7632
And tool in thread
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...mator-based-on-wltp-like-figures-for-usa.733/
I have to say it's a bit crazy to me to be picking tires based on a couple more miles range when you're paying $200K for a high performance sports car. Why would you not pick the best tires for the car in terms of performance and handling?

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have to say it's a bit crazy to me to be picking tires based on a couple more miles range when you're paying $200K for a high performance sports car. Why would you not pick the best tires for the car in terms of performance and handling?
Sorry @Vim Schrotnock I was NOT trying to suggest picking the tires for the 2 miles of range in one driving condition. I was trying to state that the larger tires do not have any major adverse effects on range as one may assume that they would. Generally EVs have narrow tires.

I completely agree that performance and handling are a key element, and price fits in there somewhere, only $2500 for 20" vs 19" on the 4S.

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
It looks like the all-seasons are obligatory when selecting any of the 21" wheel choices, both on the Canadian and US configurators. I would prefer 21" summers, as I will be getting the 20" winter wheel and tire set. Can anyone confirm if they were able to spec a 21" wheel choice with summer tires?

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes, it appears they don’t let you pick summer tires. I wonder why. I picked the mission E wheels on my build, and am trying to decide if I care about having the all season tires. In my last 5 cars (all RWD BMWs, and crappy in the snow), I’ve had separate summer and winter tires and wheels. And I could always tell the difference, preferring the summers. I don’t want to fork over another zillion dollars for separate wheels, but am wondering if having separate summer and winter tires on the mission E wheels would be nice to have. Or summer tires in the summer and all seasons in the winter.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It looks like the all-seasons are obligatory when selecting any of the 21" wheel choices, both on the Canadian and US configurators. I would prefer 21" summers, as I will be getting the 20" winter wheel and tire set. Can anyone confirm if they were able to spec a 21" wheel choice with summer tires?
I spec'd the 21 in mission E wheels with the summer tires. I'll go with the 20" wheels for winter tires.

fe007

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, iPace, BMW 428i
Country flag
In his review, Leno mentioned that 21" are way more susceptible to blow-outs than 20" due to pinching of the sidewall. Anyone have experience with 21's and have you seen this? I would have specced the 20's but really like the Mission E style.

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
I spec'd the 21 in mission E wheels with the summer tires. I'll go with the 20" wheels for winter tires.
I guess you're ordering the Turbo S Vim! That's the only way right now to get summers on 21" wheels. My SA said this today:

We don’t have a date for when (or if) you’ll be able to option the 4S & Turbo w/ summer tires. Mandatory all-season tires on the 4S and Turbo with 21” wheels is to ensure the vehicle can achieve the EPA rated range.

According to Tire Rack, the tire sizes will be 305/30/21 and 265/35/21. 20s will be 285/40/20 and 245/45/20.

The 30 side profile is definitely a pretty short sidewall, but the 30 side profile is very common amongst other Porsches - exactly the same 305/30/21 on 992 rears, and 305/30/20 on 991 rears. Pinched sidewalls and blowouts of course are more likely with the 30 vs the 40 side profile on the 20s, so one should make this decision based on the road conditions in your area. More potholes = more potential damage for sure on the 21s.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess you're ordering the Turbo S Vim! That's the only way right now to get summers on 21" wheels. My SA said this today:

We don’t have a date for when (or if) you’ll be able to option the 4S & Turbo w/ summer tires. Mandatory all-season tires on the 4S and Turbo with 21” wheels is to ensure the vehicle can achieve the EPA rated range.

According to Tire Rack, the tire sizes will be 305/30/21 and 265/35/21. 20s will be 285/40/20 and 245/45/20.

The 30 side profile is definitely a pretty short sidewall, but the 30 side profile is very common amongst other Porsches - exactly the same 305/30/21 on 992 rears, and 305/30/20 on 991 rears. Pinched sidewalls and blowouts of course are more likely with the 30 vs the 40 side profile on the 20s, so one should make this decision based on the road conditions in your area. More potholes = more potential damage for sure on the 21s.
Yes, Turbo S with mission E wheels for the warmer weather, then the jet black 20" wheels with winter tires from prob November-February. I was going to go with switching out the tires for 21" winter tires (Pirelli's), but that's just a big hassle, and I've seen enough of the cars with the jet black wheels and think they look great. Plus, the 20" wheels/tires will be much better in the snow.
Sponsored