Tire Swapping vs Two Wheel & Tire Sets?

• Total voters

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
I have a November delivery date in the US northeast.

After years of compromise on all-season tires, I’m trying to decide whether to order wheels with summer tires; plus an extra set of wheels with winter tires, OR get a single set of wheels and plan to swap between summer and winter tires in those respective seasons.

I understand the tire benefits. Don’t need that explained.

Is it more common to be swapping *tires* or entire wheel-tire sets? What are the trade offs in the seasonal swaparoo? What do you do / plan to do in this respect for your Taycan?
Sponsored

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I'll go with two complete sets, but I'm thinking of 3rd party rims... originals are over 4,700€ :eek: .
So I wonder if it's a "mortal sin" to do that?

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Although more expensive, two sets is the best way. Taking tires on and off the rims is prone to damage. Not worth the risk. I went to extreme on my previous setup and switched cars entirely for the winter!!

for me personally though I am going to try all seasons due to the hassle of switching and storing tires - I live in a condo and don’t have space. We will see how this works out. My preference is for full tier swap though.

OP
OP
satchurator

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
I wonder are there folks who have two wheel sets, with winter and all-season tires respectively? If so, what’s the rationale for all-season over summer tires?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Forgot to include the possibility of one wheel-set, summer tires. That’s me.
that could work well for you but for those who do not live in places that remain warm year round summer tires are not a good option during the colder months.

when I lived in places where driving in snow was common I would put snow tires on the car for a few months.

I once took a tesla with all season tires to colorado during the winter and any amount of snow on the roads beyond a dusting made for some hairy driving at times.

now that I am living in a warm climate I have the OEM tires which I believe are all season tires and have no reason to use winter tires.

Last edited:

Wrtflyr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Forgot to include the possibility of one wheel-set, summer tires. That’s me.
That‘s normally me too, but my 4S came with Continental ProContact All Season tires on 21 inch MissionE wheels! So far I like these tires and the verdict is still out if I will opt for Summer performance tires when the time comes!

Last edited:

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Are 20" wheels able to clear the PSCB brakes on a Turbo? Tirerack is pretty limited on wheel options for this car.

CxM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm in Pacific Northwest, lots of rain with hot summers, snowy winters.. Need dedicated winter set up here and I think the Taycan deserves a nice summer set.

Reactions: B61

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I wonder are there folks who have two wheel sets, with winter and all-season tires respectively? If so, what’s the rationale for all-season over summer tires?
If you are planning to get custom wheels for your Taycan (wheels that are not available as options), they will probably be large/wide wheels which, in combination with summer tires, will provide amazing grip. The question then becomes what to spec for your factory wheels and tires. Since you are buying two sets of wheels and tires, it makes sense to spec the factory set for winter use.

Spd_Tkt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 4S, 20 Jeep JLUR, 14 991.1 C2S-MT, 13 BMW K16GT
Country flag
I agree with Dan (Genau). I ordered my Taycan 4S with 19 inch rims and All Seasons. Once those wear out I will replace them with dedicated Winters and buy an additional set of 20 inch rims with Summers. In the snow, winter tires actually work better with the narrower cross sections that are used for the 19 inch rims. The lower profile tires in the 20 (or 21) inch rims should provide a notable upgrade in handling performance. Incentive to wear out my current tires!

I would say that as long as you have the space to store an extra set of rims, plus jack/jack stands, it is also easier to do this seasonal tire/wheel change ritual on your own.

Cheers

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
A question for those who are doing a tire/wheel swap with 21" tires. Do the extra tires/wheels fit in the car? Maybe I am doing it wrong, but the 20" tires are a tight fit even with the seats down. Not sure how I would get 21" tires/wheels back and forth to the shop (assuming I wanted the shop to do it).

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
A question for those who are doing a tire/wheel swap with 21" tires. Do the extra tires/wheels fit in the car? Maybe I am doing it wrong, but the 20" tires are a tight fit even with the seats down. Not sure how I would get 21" tires/wheels back and forth to the shop (assuming I wanted the shop to do it).
The diameter of the wheels is almost the same, regardless of the diameter of the rims (19", 20", 21"). The larger the rim diameter, the smaller the tire profile to keep the overall wheel size as close to the same as possible. For example, the stock tire sizes for 20" rims at 245/45/20 and 285/40/20 and the stock tire sizes for 21" rims is 265/35/21 and 305/30/21. By my math, the overall 21" diameter is actually a tad smaller.

They are wider though, so maybe that's what you are talking about. Total width for all 4 tires is 41.7" for the 20's, and 44.9" for the 21's, due to the wider tires.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
The diameter of the wheels is almost the same, regardless of the diameter of the rims (19", 20", 21"). The larger the rim diameter, the smaller the tire profile to keep the overall wheel size as close to the same as possible. For example, the stock tire sizes for 20" rims at 245/45/20 and 285/40/20 and the stock tire sizes for 21" rims is 265/35/21 and 305/30/21. By my math, the overall 21" diameter is actually a tad smaller.

They are wider though, so maybe that's what you are talking about. Total width for all 4 tires is 41.7" for the 20's, and 44.9" for the 21's, due to the wider tires.
Yeah, the width is what was concerning me. It is a tight squeeze as it is with the 20" tires

Hessam001

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
What tires do you guys recommend for 22” wheels on a Taycan 4s
Front wheel 22 x 9
Rear wheel 22 x 10.5
I was thinking about going 35 series for the front because I want some extra tire for the pot holes
What do you think of these tires below, do you think it will rub?
Front: 275/35R22
Rear: 305/30R22
Sponsored