jwarner

First Name
jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
macan gts, taycan gts st
Country flag
Peter,I will do separate summer and winter.just got my gts st allocation-do you recommend 20 or 21" wheels? 20" summer comes with either pilot sport 4 (not 4s) or pirelli 7blue; 21" summer either pzero or goodyear; I had the goodyears at PECATL new track last week on a gts and they seemed fine. Michelin pilot 4s does not yet come in a porsche approved nfo version

Pedroski66

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche taycan sport turismo gts 22
Country flag
Peter,I will do separate summer and winter.just got my gts st allocation-do you recommend 20 or 21" wheels? 20" summer comes with either pilot sport 4 (not 4s) or pirelli 7blue; 21" summer either pzero or goodyear; I had the goodyears at PECATL new track last week on a gts and they seemed fine. Michelin pilot 4s does not yet come in a porsche approved nfo version
21" Summer. They are Pzero's actually...difficult to type anything other than Michelin, those are on the old A6
20" Winter. If I were in full time winter location, I'd maybe go a bit let tire than currently running at 245f/285r 20".
Best 👍

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I have 3 sets.
1. Summer Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
2 Michelin Pilot Sport AS
3. Winter Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5
If you have the room and a floor jack you'll be set for yesrs
Which Pilot Sport AS do you have? When I looked for a set for my Taycan, TireRack tells me Michelin does not make any Pilot Sport AS (3 or 4) which would fit the Taycan. Do you have different wheels?

Pedroski66

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche taycan sport turismo gts 22
Country flag
Which Pilot Sport AS do you have? When I looked for a set for my Taycan, TireRack tells me Michelin does not make any Pilot Sport AS (3 or 4) which would fit the Taycan. Do you have different wheels?
I'm running Pirelli sottozero series 2 on 21" as my all season tires. Exceptional tire for speed and handling compared with the full winter Nokian hakkapeliitta, we'll see how it manages the snow. ❄

Best

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
What I know is that when the factory tires wear out on my wife's new 4CT they'll be replaced with Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires. They are all season tires that are severe snow service rated that are better in the snow than many dedicated winter tires I've used.

I'd love to see Porsche offer them as OEM tires, but they're V speed rated so only usable on the base Taycan or the Tacan 4CT.
WOW, the Continental All Season tires are useless in snow. Yesterday there was less than an inch of snow on the roads, the temperature was a few degrees below freezing and the car was all over the place. It nearly got sideways twice while braking from less than 25 MPH. We were hoping to make it through at least one winter on the OEM tires, but it looks like my wife is getting new tires for Christmas.

These are 3 season tires at best. This picture pretty much shows it. That's the Taycan's Continental Pro Contacts and a Charger wearing CrossClimate 2s, and that's the snow depth we're dealing with. It's not like there's 5 inches of snow, this should be well withing the capability of any tire calling itself all season.

Porsche Taycan Tires: All Season/Winter vs. Summer/Winter 1701117772209

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I'm running Pirelli sottozero series 2 on 21" as my all season tires. Exceptional tire for speed and handling compared with the full winter Nokian hakkapeliitta, we'll see how it manages the snow. ❄

Best
I'm looking for 20" all seasons for non-winter driving. The Contis which came factory on the Taycan do ok in dry, but they suck in the wet, never tried them on snow. They do noticeably worse in wet than my Porsche approved winters on wet - Goodyears Ultra Grip Gen 1, with which I'm quite happy.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
WOW, the Continental All Season tires are useless in snow. Yesterday there was less than an inch of snow on the roads, the temperature was a few degrees below freezing and the car was all over the place. It nearly got sideways twice while braking from less than 25 MPH. We were hoping to make it through at least one winter on the OEM tires, but it looks like my wife is getting new tires for Christmas.

These are 3 season tires at best. This picture pretty much shows it. That's the Taycan's Continental Pro Contacts and a Charger wearing CrossClimate 2s, and that's the snow depth we're dealing with. It's not like there's 5 inches of snow, this should be well withing the capability of any tire calling itself all season.
I'm not doubting your experience, just wanted to add my perspective. I collected my car in Jan '23 on Conti Pro Contacts and promptly drove home (1.5k miles) through a wide variety of road conditions - dry (warm temps and cold), wet, snow and ice. The one time (during that trip) when the tires slipped was on the descent from Eisenhower tunnel - aquaplanned on some snow melt runoff. The tires had less than 100 miles on them.

I then drove on the same tires for the remainder of a pretty bountiful winter in the PNW, with weekly trips into the mountains. These tires behaved well beyond my expectations - I'm (or used to) a fervent follower of the "buy dedicated winter tires" mantra, and I simply had no reason to swap. Needless to say, now that they have 16k miles on them, they're not (going to be) any good in the snow - but, again, they were far from useless when new.

I would still recommend a dedicated winter wheelset (I acquired a set of 19" with brand new GoodYear all-seasons, we'll see how they behave), and YMMV.

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
I'm not doubting your experience, just wanted to add my perspective. I collected my car in Jan '23 on Conti Pro Contacts and promptly drove home (1.5k miles) through a wide variety of road conditions - dry (warm temps and cold), wet, snow and ice. The one time (during that trip) when the tires slipped was on the descent from Eisenhower tunnel - aquaplanned on some snow melt runoff. The tires had less than 100 miles on them.

I then drove on the same tires for the remainder of a pretty bountiful winter in the PNW, with weekly trips into the mountains. These tires behaved well beyond my expectations - I'm (or used to) a fervent follower of the "buy dedicated winter tires" mantra, and I simply had no reason to swap. Needless to say, now that they have 16k miles on them, they're not (going to be) any good in the snow - but, again, they were far from useless when new.

I would still recommend a dedicated winter wheelset (I acquired a set of 19" with brand new GoodYear all-seasons, we'll see how they behave), and YMMV.
I've been sideways on ice and recovered in FWD, RWD, AWD, and 4WD; they all react slightly differently. I'm wondering if the rear wheel steering might have had some impact on my perceptions. The rear slid left on the ice, I reacted by turning left keeping the front wheels pointed in the direction I wanted to go, but that would have caused the rear wheels to pull the back end of the car to the right. What I perceived to be the rear end whipsawing may have been what to expect in that situation. I think I'll do some experimentation after the lakes freeze.
Sponsored