OP
Cillacede

Cillacede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Everyone's comments have been very helpful. So far, still leaning toward the 4s. Prices for base models with what I want are not that far off from gently pre-owned 4s.
Sponsored

qubilist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 MDX
Country flag
I get a little scared of pre owned. I see some used Taycan's with 3 owners already. Makes me wonder if it was a lemon.

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I struggled with RWD v 4S too

test drove both back to back and felt like the RWD was more fun to drive, better handling, and was way fast enough

I’m coming from an f80 m3 and the RWD feels faster off the line

it just so happened that a MY22 RWD specced to 80% of my ideal car fell into my lap and rather than wait for a 4S I pulled the trigger

If a 4S was available too at the same spec, then I would’ve chosen the RWD

call me crazy but it’s not all about 0-60 and there’s a reason why driving enthusiasts prefer the RWD (with air suspension)

JJTO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911S Cab; '97 NSX; BMW X5, Suburban
Country flag
I have had my 4S for 2 years and just got a RWD loaner while my car is getting the big update. I can tell you it's a noticeable difference. The RWD is a great drive but I would not give up my 4S especially with the 4 wheel steering. I know this is similar to other posts on here but just thought I'd share my experience.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I test drove a 4S and purchased an RWD, sight unseen.

I was concerned I would feel a big performance delta, but I didn't.

I really love the way the RWD drives and while I do wish it had a bit more 0-60 grunt, the rolling performance is stellar and it's a blast to drive. Best road trip car I've ever had.

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I have had my 4S for 2 years and just got a RWD loaner while my car is getting the big update. I can tell you it's a noticeable difference. The RWD is a great drive but I would not give up my 4S especially with the 4 wheel steering. I know this is similar to other posts on here but just thought I'd share my experience.
did your loaner have the PB+ and air suspension?

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Luck enough to have had both. Spec was almost the same so feel qualified to comment.
RWD Genuinely powerful once going and main difference in initial acceleration but the RWD is more than quick enough for day to day...genuinely. However, main reason for change to 4s for me was simply added traction...for Scotlands rain (and snow!)
piggybacking off your comment…I think all of us owners are lucky (RWD or 4S). To the OP, you really can’t go wrong with either but know that the only difference isn’t just getting off the line. It’s not that simple. There are differences in handling, steering, weight, and feel at the wheel. Only you can decide which one is “better” for you.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Always go for the fastest model you can reasonably afford, otherwise in 12 months time you'll be swapping out for something else!
Couldn't be more true. I have to admit that while I have had an amazing time with my 4S so far, I am already mildly tempted to "upgrade" to Turbo/Turbo S.

Abdul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gentian Blue Taycan 4S...previously Ice Grey RWD
Country flag
piggybacking off your comment…I think all of us owners are lucky (RWD or 4S). To the OP, you really can’t go wrong with either but know that the only difference isn’t just getting off the line. It’s not that simple. There are differences in handling, steering, weight, and feel at the wheel. Only you can decide which one is “better” for you.
True. The feel through the wheel was 'truer' with the RWD than the 4s. However not an issue

andyxxl

First Name
andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 S
Country flag
IMHO it is very impportant "Where do you come from".
So i "came from" a GLC 63 S and the RWD was not an option. Funny to drive but i was missing some punch/ sovereignty...

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
Same as above, it's highly dependent to what you are used to and if it's your first EV

I had a model 3 performance and despite how much i like the Taycan look, drive, fit & finish etc... the loss of "punch" made me abord the RWD (or CT4) project. The 4S was still a little drop in performance (between 0-100) but it was on the same league (but the deliveries delay were :headbang:)

It doesn't means that they are slow but they felt slow comparing to my previous ride. If i was coming from an ICE or a "regular'" EV it would have been different for sure.

Hopefully, i saw a 2021 4S with low mileage and top spec for sale a decent price, ditched the Tesla reservation and in 47 hours i ll get my car.:involve:

bj33813

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
As yet another FL driver, I vote for the 4S. I went thru the same uncertainty, and the 4S was by far the most costly auto I have owned, but what the hell, go for it! I personally think it handles great in all the rain we get here, but I never drove the rwd version (full disclosure).
For once, listen to your wife! ;)

OP
OP
Cillacede

Cillacede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Put a deposit down on a very nicely spec'd (for me) 2020 4s, that I will be picking up in early September on drive from the mid-west/south to Florida. Original MSRP was $149K, now at $119k. With just over $25k miles. I'm sure I'll get sticker shock when it comes time to put down the deposit, but overall, I know I'm the kind of person who will want to upgrade and regret my purchase if I don't get what I want.

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
Put a deposit down on a very nicely spec'd (for me) 2020 4s, that I will be picking up in early September on drive from the mid-west/south to Florida. Original MSRP was $149K, now at $119k. With just over $25k miles. I'm sure I'll get sticker shock when it comes time to put down the deposit, but overall, I know I'm the kind of person who will want to upgrade and regret my purchase if I don't get what I want.
CPO or not? If CPO that's a great deal. I've been following preowned prices and you don't really see a CPO 2020 4S offered at 20% off very often.