To Taycan, or not Taycan? That is the question.

RehobothTaycan1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
The Taycan RWD is my third Porsche and I absolutely love it. I’ve owned Audi and BMW in the past, and while great cars, nothing drives like a Porsche. The Taycan is a perfect blend of everything Porsche with some built in practicality (eg you can haul 4 adults).

I was genuinely concerned about range, since this is my first EV. I have to drive over 200 miles each way for work 1-2x per month. I almost didn’t buy the car for this reason alone. I’m glad I pushed forward, because the range has never been a problem and neither has EA charging. I’m getting consistently over 300 miles in range. I haven’t owned the car through a winter season yet, but I feel confident I’ll be good given the range I’m getting now.

Like some other posts here, I agree that life ticks by fast. Buy the Porsche if you can.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Great point you make. My last car was the S4 and it was a hoot on country roads. But I live in a city and literally have about 2 opportunities a year when I have no kids in the back, and an open country road to play with. Mostly I spend my life crawling around town in traffic, or crawling down the motorway in traffic.
I would be interested to know how the RWD Taycan (with performance battery plus) stacks up against your S4?

Forget the 0-60 and have a look for 80-120 km/h and 0-200 km/h where it has got some momentum - without 4WD.
Real world driving.

ampitup

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've owned my 4S for almost 3 months now and have had a few minor glitches which are now resolved and have no regrets whatsoever with my decision to purchase this car. It is everything I thought I would be and more. Go for it.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I am quite a bit older now but when I was 50 I was running a Ferrari after trying a 911 and finding it a bit slow and a 911 turbo and finding it laggy.
I was reluctant to try the Taycan because of size and weight and I prefer the saloon to the CT to look at but have a labrador.
I nearly didn't try one but wow, the instant response, handling, comfort and quietness are a unique combination as far as I can see so the Taycan is in a field of one choice wise as far as I am concerned. It will replace 2 cars for me.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
Ill be 50 next year. Ive been fortunate enough to scratch my childhood car itch extensively, owning all the brands that were on my walls in glossy print as a kid. Porsche, BMW M series, Mercedes AMG, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc etc. My current garrage is a 2021 Taycan 4S and 2021 911 Turbo S cabriolet and a few others (Raptor, Tesla M3P) For now the Taycan is my favorite car to drive. Its amazingly planted, faster than any daily driver needs to be, comfortable and luxurious. And sure, I can take the wife and kids around town, so I guess its practical too. Ive had zero issues in 8 months and 5000 miles so don’t worry about that stuff you read from a few folks IMO. Get the Porsche and dont look back. You won’t regret it……

OP
OP

wordsman

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Country flag
@wordsman, I'm 16 years younger than you, but if I've learnt anything from my time on this planet, it's that you should always get your sensible advice from someone you just met online called midlifecrisis. It's worked for me - I love my Taycan.
Quite? TBH approaching 50 I’ve been thinking what I should ‘do’ for my midlife crisis, having not had one yet. I know that’s not how a crisis works. But everyone will be thinking it if I buy a Porsche at 50, so may as well go with it?

OP
OP

wordsman

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Country flag
I am quite a bit older now but when I was 50 I was running a Ferrari after trying a 911 and finding it a bit slow and a 911 turbo and finding it laggy.
I was reluctant to try the Taycan because of size and weight and I prefer the saloon to the CT to look at but have a labrador.
I nearly didn't try one but wow, the instant response, handling, comfort and quietness are a unique combination as far as I can see so the Taycan is in a field of one choice wise as far as I am concerned. It will replace 2 cars for me.
It’s extraordinarily lovely, yet practical, isn’t it?

OP
OP

wordsman

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Country flag
Ill be 50 next year. Ive been fortunate enough to scratch my childhood car itch extensively, owning all the brands that were on my walls in glossy print as a kid. Porsche, BMW M series, Mercedes AMG, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc etc. My current garrage is a 2021 Taycan 4S and 2021 911 Turbo S cabriolet and a few others (Raptor, Tesla M3P) For now the Taycan is my favorite car to drive. Its amazingly planted, faster than any daily driver needs to be, comfortable and luxurious. And sure, I can take the wife and kids around town, so I guess its practical too. Ive had zero issues in 8 months and 5000 miles so don’t worry about that stuff you read from a few folks IMO. Get the Porsche and dont look back. You won’t regret it……
Sounds like you’ve had some lovely cars to compare it with, so that’s a strong recommendation, I’d say!

OP
OP

wordsman

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Country flag
The Taycan RWD is my third Porsche and I absolutely love it. I’ve owned Audi and BMW in the past, and while great cars, nothing drives like a Porsche. The Taycan is a perfect blend of everything Porsche with some built in practicality (eg you can haul 4 adults).

I was genuinely concerned about range, since this is my first EV. I have to drive over 200 miles each way for work 1-2x per month. I almost didn’t buy the car for this reason alone. I’m glad I pushed forward, because the range has never been a problem and neither has EA charging. I’m getting consistently over 300 miles in range. I haven’t owned the car through a winter season yet, but I feel confident I’ll be good given the range I’m getting now.

Like some other posts here, I agree that life ticks by fast. Buy the Porsche if you can.
I think it looks like peak car - luxury, build quality and fun, all in one package. I’m a little worried about range but most of our miles are around town, so we’ll charge once a week at most. Most long journeys are within 120 miles to family, where we’ll be able to charge, anyway. Once or twice a year we’ll drive further and need to charge en route, but the rate at which chargers are going in, well, I’m sure there could be hiccups but i can live with that occasionally.

OP
OP

wordsman

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Country flag
I would be interested to know how the RWD Taycan (with performance battery plus) stacks up against your S4?

Forget the 0-60 and have a look for 80-120 km/h and 0-200 km/h where it has got some momentum - without 4WD.
Real world driving.
I think for real world driving it’ll be a lot more practical because of the way the torque is delivered. It was rare I had the kind of road I could open the S4 up and have some fun in relative safety.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
As long as you get the bigger battery I haven’t found range to be an issue. Ive owned 5 Tesla (and one currently ) and the Taycan gets around 240 miles at 85%.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
I have the 4S since 1.5 years (apparently, it was the 2nd Taycan delivered in Munich) and never regretted it, even though the car did have teething problems. On the contrary, I think it was a great journey and luck to be a small part of the EV revolution, and this with a car which makes it so easy because it is just so good.

I also convinced other people to go EV, most of them went for the Model 3, one for the ID.3, one for the e-Tron GT RS. I got to drive it and have to say, I also want rear-axle steering and would probably buy a bigger motor than the 4S has, but still prefer the Taycan over the GT due to looks and feeling.

So, in summary, 100% recommendation, do it.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Quite? TBH approaching 50 I’ve been thinking what I should ‘do’ for my midlife crisis, having not had one yet. I know that’s not how a crisis works. But everyone will be thinking it if I buy a Porsche at 50, so may as well go with it?
When you get asked if you are having a mid life crisis (you WILL get asked this when you buy a Porsche at that age) just point out that this is a much better way to be having your crisis than running off with another woman or disappearing to somewhere else in the world. Worked for me with the Macan… I will keep to the same answer with the Taycan. My wife even agrees ?
Sponsored