BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I’ve owned and traded cars from BMW, Audi, Merc and Porsche through to Fords and more general marques. Never have I seen anywhere near a 20/30% fall on the two-month ownership of a car. Especially when looking to trade up with the same dealer.

Like someone else said in the thread, the prices have taken a tumble in the UK and in my case it’s bad timing. I really didn’t want the third degree from people just because I was quoting my example which is relevant to the subject of the thread.
I'd suggest you stick with the 4S. If you take the 20k hit selling it, you'll also be putting yourself into an instant (mark to market) loss of 30k on the Turbo as well - when you decide you want upgrade to a 911 turbo in a couple of moths time!

£50k in 2 months :rolleyes:

You've taken a bit of flack on here at being 'surprised' about depreciation. I don't think you were. I for one think you were very unlucky with timing and your original dealer is/was taking the p1ss on either the buy or sell side of the proposed transaction. I think I'd find it quite hard telling you that bid price face to face if i'd sold you the car a couple of months earlier.
Sponsored

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
The 4S is a fantastic car and I really enjoyed mine. However there is a lesson here if you own a 4S... Don’t dive a turbo as you will probably want one!
To add---don't even read about one on the forums either! Stay away from threads matching pattern "*turbo*"

While I was searching for my Taycan last year, there were plenty for sale nation wide. Once I filtered down to the must haves: 2+1 rear seats, Mission Es, sport chrono, white/chalk/ice grey exterior, I was probably left with about 10%. Didn't seem like there too many early builds with 2+1 rear seats.

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m well aware of depreciation and at present it’s very high on the Taycan in the UK. I was using my example to highlight this. I bought a USED 4S two months ago, I tried to trade up to a used Turbo with two separate dealers. First dealer offered me £20k less than what I paid, second dealer £30k less. I was just trying to get across that it’s a bitter pill to swallow. Plus there’s a massive difference in the two offers received.

Your example refers to a new car dropping $30-$40k over 14 months. I’m losing 20-30k in UK pounds over two months on a used car. It’s nowhere near being the same.
No, you paid RETAIL to buy the car and you’re trying to sell it back to a dealer, which is a WHOLESALE transaction. That $20-30k difference is mostly dealer spread. To assume that is entirely retail depreciation is totally flawed logic.

Reactions: npx

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The 4S is a fantastic car and I really enjoyed mine. However there is a lesson here if you own a 4S... Don’t dive a turbo as you will probably want one!
I drove a Turbo and then a 4S and bought the latter. I loved the Turbo but the 4S was already too fast on the street for a nutter like me. I was concerned about losing my license (still am) and the Turbo would make that a near certainty. And the difference was $25k for the same build, which wasn’t worth it to me in the end. I was sorely tempted though. There are no bad Taycan variants.

CharlieW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTSST R35 Nismo, R34, R33, GT3RS, GLC63, BMW Supra
Country flag
https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en-GB/details/porsche-taycan-4s-cross-turismo-preowned-LXO2O9

Advert above for a 4s CT registered this year with 10 miles on the clock (new) being sold at £3k less than todays prices (Porsche configurator). How can this be when there is still a 12 month wait list?
Prices coming back to pre covid also when I spoke to dealers last week I managed to get a cancelled GTS ST order and 5+ dealers all had cancelled allocations of 4S ST/CT not at freeze date yet...

Mac_Gaz

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
No, you paid RETAIL to buy the car and you’re trying to sell it back to a dealer, which is a WHOLESALE transaction. That $20-30k difference is mostly dealer spread. To assume that is entirely retail depreciation is totally flawed logic.
Thank you for the continued words of wisdom.

Regardless of the breakdown/reasons/what-evers, I was simply highlighting potential personal loss. Also, I’m in the UK where we use £s not $s.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en-GB/details/porsche-taycan-4s-cross-turismo-preowned-LXO2O9

Advert above for a 4s CT registered this year with 10 miles on the clock (new) being sold at £3k less than todays prices (Porsche configurator). How can this be when there is still a 12 month wait list?
Car you linked is not yet available for sale, no year on it either (is it 2022 or 2023?). 10 miles could be a placeholder. That said, here is a 2022 Turbo S CT:
https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/details/1PKK24
It has been sitting for a while, they even had is listed for under $200K (~$9K under MSRP) about a month ago, evidently it didn't sell - the posted price just went back up, perhaps it was creating bad perceptions. I suspect the long wait-lists are quickly evaporating, but keeping people believing they are still there is seen as beneficial to the dealers. Kind of like the often perpetuated myth of all Taycan's selling at $30K over MSRP in California like hot doughnuts. Dealers like to exaggerate for effect. When I picked up mine, they got me clear side markers, which I thought was a nice gesture. I did bite my tongue however when the SA told me they are $700-$800. I just smiled. They are $149 MSRP, $110 on sale online today.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Car you linked is not yet available for sale, no year on it either (is it 2022 or 2023?). 10 miles could be a placeholder. That said, here is a 2022 Turbo S CT:
https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/details/1PKK24
It has been sitting for a while, they even had is listed for under $200K (~$9K under MSRP) about a month ago, evidently it didn't sell - the posted price just went back up, perhaps it was creating bad perceptions. I suspect the long wait-lists are quickly evaporating, but keeping people believing they are still there is seen as beneficial to the dealers. Kind of like the often perpetuated myth of all Taycan's selling at $30K over MSRP in California like hot doughnuts. Dealers like to exaggerate for effect. When I picked up mine, they got me clear side markers, which I thought was a nice gesture. I did bite my tongue however when the SA told me they are $700-$800. I just smiled. They are $149 MSRP, $110 on sale online today.
I imagine the $7-800 from them also included 4hours of porsche technical labour (labor) time! $110 for a couple of bits of molded plastic seems plenty!

I take it there is no demand to sell the ginger ones on eBay out there? Or maybe see if the dealer will buy them off you for 1/2 price?!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I imagine the $7-800 from them also included 4hours of porsche technical labour (labor) time! $110 for a couple of bits of molded plastic seems plenty!

I take it there is no demand to sell the ginger ones on eBay out there? Or maybe see if the dealer will buy them off you for 1/2 price?!
Dealers don't want them either. I now have 2 sets besides the ones on the car, because I bought myself the clear ones a year earlier (when I initially, naively expected the car to get to me).

DynamoCappo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
My SA (assume that Sales Assistant...?) told me last week its just the fact the supply chain is now moving again so dealers are selling old demonstrators and getting new stock... I guess I am hoping (maybe deluded) I could use the stock level as some sort of negociation, maybe get them to honour the 7.9% rate (actually might have been lower in April last yeat) rather 10.9%. Thus far I have recieved the expected response; there is a long waiting list so we don't need to discount etc...
We spoke to our SA / finance contact yesterday and they just issued the same 10.9% mentioned when we were in to finalise the build in December

The reason they called us yesterday, is we specifically asked them if there was any issue with us shopping around other finance options. I was half expecting them to at least say they'd lower the rate or get somewhere near the 7.9% rate spoken about when we paid the deposit 18 months ago.

But no, there was a bit of a flippant "if you get a better offer come back to us and we'll have a look"

That's not how it works, pal. If I get a better offer, I'll be doing with them and taking the business away from you.

I get it, they don't care, but why are they SO bad at selling things?

Last edited:

Bella

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 CT, Prius
Country flag
Isn’t it amazing how quickly (couple of years) people got used to the crazy pandemic residuals, and assume that it will be the new normal?

For those who feel outraged, perhaps it would be relevant to read “Who moved my cheese” by Spencer Johnson.
Just sold my 2022 CT4 1400 miles. Original MSRP over $118k. Being sold at Porsche Santa Barbara for $106,900. 9.3% depreciation for one year.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just sold my 2022 CT4 1400 miles. Original MSRP over $118k. Being sold at Porsche Santa Barbara for $106,900. 9.3% depreciation for one year.
A few observations:
  • Base models (CT4) without many options, as well as first years of new body style (CT), tend to depreciate the least - no cheaper/older cars of that body style available to drag the price down.
  • Asking price vs. selling price, you don't know what it will actually sell for
  • The price you traded it in for was lower, even percentage wise, than it would have been a year ago for example (assuming the car was a year old then). Today the dealer must price in the lower resale value, longer stay on the lot, and associated cost of money (interest rates are much higher)
If I was to guess, trade-in ~$90K.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I was just contacted today by a west coast dealer who a year ago wanted prepaid, non-refundable ADM (IIRC it was $15K) just to get on a wait list for an allocation. I guess their wait list ran dry, since I was very clear with the guy before that I won't pay ADM's, pre-paid or otherwise. Times are definitely changing. SA's will have to actually work for their sales again.

briomir

First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
After reading this post, I figured I'd take a look at used examples on the market too... And I just bagged one (foregoing my allocation with delivery est July)...

Originally had a RWD on order and with options came to approx. £85k, but seen a 2020 4S with 8k on the clock and pretty much every option ticked for around the same!

Tell me I didn't do the wrong thing by going for the 4S please...??
Sponsored