W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Ah damn, yeah it's MY20. No wireless android auto is quite annoying actually! USB it is then...
Shouldn't worry - its a phone battery drain so you'll likely be wired anyway as the wireless charging is slow and hot.

I'm not 100% certain if it is missing but at least with the uPdate you will have AA available rather then just CarPlay.

Voice activation etc is infinitely superior on Google. On my new GTS ST I can't get 'Hey Porsche' to tell me the time' (worked fine on my 4S) and so my go to would be Google.
Sponsored

sbarker108

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance; TS on order
Country flag
As someone who built their business in the IT industry, you can update software on a 2020 all you want, but the hardware will always be the limiting factor. The new Macan EV will have over 300 miles of range and other EV’s will push over 400 on a single charge. You can’t stop the evolution of technology, and it’s that evolution which will impact the Taycan and long term value.
What type of IT business are you in Chuck?

NJ-Taycan

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Sold the business after 23 years in Aug-2021. We implemented technology solutions for law firms and corporate legal department. It was a great run!

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Sold the business after 23 years in Aug-2021. We implemented technology solutions for law firms and corporate legal department. It was a great run!
The story behind the Porsche owner is always more interesting than the Porsche itself.

Congratulations on both the exit and the car.

Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
The story behind the Porsche owner is always more interesting than the Porsche itself.

Congratulations on both the exit and the car.
Great timing I also became a member of that club

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Ah damn, yeah it's MY20. No wireless android auto is quite annoying actually! USB it is then...
I actually switched from years of Android phones to an iPhone, one big reason was Taycan didn't have Android Auto at all at first. By the time Porsche managed to sell me one (20 months), it was there, but I was already on the iPhone - no regrets really.

That said, I did some research at that time, apparently you can buy an "adapter" which plugs into the car and provides the wireless Android Auto functionality by connecting to you phone wirelessly.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Shouldn't worry - its a phone battery drain so you'll likely be wired anyway as the wireless charging is slow and hot.
Used Apple CarPlay on my cross country trip. Never charged the phone in the car. It was always connected, some days 12hrs of driving, battery drain on the phone was never an issue even once (I bought a magsafe charger with me, but never installed it as I never needed it).

Voice activation etc is infinitely superior on Google. On my new GTS ST I can't get 'Hey Porsche' to tell me the time' (worked fine on my 4S) and so my go to would be Google.
I find it completely useless. No matter what I tried telling it to do (e.g. turn on or off HUD) it always tried to mess with the navigation, best case scenario it didn't know what to do, worse case scenario if f'ed up my current navigation so I had to restart it. Haven't used it since, Porsche seems decades others behind on this tech. If I have to talk to my car, I use Siri through Apple CarPlay, though I don't expect my iPhone to be able to control car functions, but for everything else it at least mostly works.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Used Apple CarPlay on my cross country trip. Never charged the phone in the car. It was always connected, some days 12hrs of driving, battery drain on the phone was never an issue even once (I bought a magsafe charger with me, but never installed it as I never needed it).

I find it completely useless. No matter what I tried telling it to do (e.g. turn on or off HUD) it always tried to mess with the navigation, best case scenario it didn't know what to do, worse case scenario if f'ed up my current navigation so I had to restart it. Haven't used it since, Porsche seems decades others behind on this tech. If I have to talk to my car, I use Siri through Apple CarPlay, though I don't expect my iPhone to be able to control car functions, but for everything else it at least mostly works.
Battery drain when using AA mapping. Mind you my phone battery is old now so that won't help.

Standard voice control should be better - it was - I'll fiddle some more but perhaps there's a bug with it on MY23 cars.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Standard voice control should be better - it was - I'll fiddle some more but perhaps there's a bug with it on MY23 cars.
Not for me. I thought my old Teslas were bad (the newer ones work better), but Taycan proved to be worse, which I didn't think it was possible. I tried many forms of the "Hey Porsche" commands: "Turn on HUD", "Turn on Heads Up Display", "Enable HUD", "Enable Heads Up Display", "Show HUD", "Show Heads Up Display", and any other possibility I could think of, every time it either told me it cannot do what I want or it messed up the current navigation in progress. I ended up defining the diamond button on the steering wheel to turn the HUD on or off. Later I realized the HUD state is also saved in the personal profile seat position (the 1/2/3 buttons on the door) so you can use those to control the HUD as long as you program 2 of them with the same seat/mirrors/steering column positions but one with HUD on and one with HUD off.

Lekfx

First Name
Lek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3e, e-surfboard, Taycan GTS Sport Turismo
Country flag
You did a smart thing, not a wrong thing. Early-years depreciation is the steepest and especially with high-value cars ist is always smart to let the original buyer take the hit, then swoop in for a deal. Low miles, well optioned and never look back.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The 4S is a fantastic car and I really enjoyed mine. However there is a lesson here if you own a 4S... Don’t dive a turbo as you will probably want one!
Struggling with this currently. Very tempted to test drive a Turbo but know this will make it tougher to resist an "upgrade":)
Sponsored