Top 10 impressions on my options (if you were wondering about base stereo, metal roof, RAS, limestone, etc.)

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
I had a hard time choosing between options as not all were available at the dealer. Luckily I can say I don't regret a single choice. Some impressions in case it helps others.
  1. Base stereo is perfectly acceptable for background listening. Bass is fine even without the subwoofer. There is distortion but it's pleasant enough. It doesn't make me want to keep on listening like my home stereo does (B&W 804, Parasound HINT, Oppo 105, treated room), but neither did the Burmester. I can confidently say that for me, the Bose is unnecessary and not worth it.
  2. The bubbles on the metal roof are not as prominent in person as in pics. Also rear headroom is not acceptable for anyone 6'+ (although I suspect that may be the same even if you get the pano roof, as it's the very back that's the problem. I still don't regret it since I don't like glass roofs in general, but something to think about in case you're on the fence.
  3. RAS really is as noticeable as people say. Both in terms of tight turning circle as everyone has mentioned (I was able to turn around at the end of a dead end street in one shot) AND how great the direct steering feels (don't have to shuffle hands even for sharp turns). The latter I don't really hear people talk about but it's materially more direct than without RAS. I also got PTV but not PDCC. I took some corners hard and have not felt the need for the latter.
  4. Limestone beige is darker than it looked in pics on my monitor and was exactly what I was looking for. Pics also made it seem like the leather and non-leather bits don't match but it's fine in person. I must say the leather work is disappointing though. Seems worse than previous Porsches (e.g. leather is not shaped exactly right, leather is uneven). Neodyme is not as shiny in person as in pics.
  5. The laminated glass includes the side windows and the rear window, although I suspect (but did not test that) the rear window doesn't have a metallic film since it has the antenna. It's nice and quiet and gives some extra security with all the people smashing car windows these days, but mounting a radar detector is challenging.
  6. I wasn't sure I wanted the 25' charging cable because I was afraid it'd be absurdly long. It's not; if it's a free option in your region definitely pick it.
  7. I also wasn't sure I wanted the larger battery because I wanted a lighter car, but I'm glad I picked it. I'd be disappointed with range in winter otherwise and I don't think the 200 lbs would be noticeable.
  8. I was considering a Turbo, but the 4S performance is completely satisfying. You can still jerk your passengers' heads back uncomfortably, and can continue the hard acceleration for longer than you should. Those are facts, although obviously can't blame you if you still want a Turbo.
  9. I got 18-way seats without ventilation. They are too hard, but I suspect they will soften as was my experience in previous Porsches.
  10. The "hidden" free option to get your door sills in black aluminum looks great. Unfortunately, the truck sills are still shiny aluminum.
  11. I know this is #11 but this is an option I did NOT get - there's still a cool sound even though I didn't get sport sound. Hopefully it's real (I don't know, but I'd like to believe so).
I'll update later with some general '21 impressions if there's interest.
Sponsored

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your options impressions, @Tay Tay . You may be right about Rear Axle Steering, also listening to everybody else raving about it. I did not include it in my option list because the Porsche sales person did not draw my attention at its existence and because I was not yet on this forum then. In hindsight, it is probably the only option I regret not to have included.