Top Gear: Taycan demolishes Tesla Model S in drag race (in the dry)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Here is another vid (German), where the Taycan is faster, just in case there are still doubters:

Sponsored

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Here is another vid (German), where the Taycan is faster, just in case there are still doubters:

This is an interesting one as the Tesla seems way too slow.
I'm pretty sure it can do much better, same for the Taycan.

Here's why:
1. It's cold and wet, not a good condition to put all the power down but these conditions apply for both cars, so far so good.
2. Taycan has wider tires so in these conditions that's a disadvantage.
But then again, a Taycan is heavier so the kg/cm2 is roughly the same for both cars (Tesla is "lighter" but has smaller tires).

So, that doesn't bring anything.
Still, the Taycan is faster.
Now it gets interesting, what about a dry and warm condition?
I'm pretty sure a Model S will do much better.
What about the Taycan?
I'm also pretty sure it'll outperform the Model S.

Here's why:
1. Taycan has wider tires so there's much more surface to transfer the power to the asphalt.
2. Taycan has 13.000Nm of torque due to the 2-speed gearbox.
Tesla has around 11.000Nm.
Here's the vid:

Finally, just between us, do you think Porsche wanted to create a EV with a useless 2-speed gearbox to find out the Model S is quicker?
I don't think so.
It's no coincidence that the boost lasts 2.5 seconds, that's the time you'll need from 0 to 60.
It's pretty obvious imho.

That first gear is ONLY there for accelerations, nothing more, nothing less.
On range, that second gear provides better efficiency on the highway (and even gives a sub 10 to 200km/h, unlike a Model S which is a full second slower).
I heared the Model S's range is not that far off from the Taycan's but it is far off from the current EPA rating (i.e. it's much less at higher speeds).
Note that a P100D has a larger (useable) batterypower than the Taycan (98 vs 83kWh) so there's a big part of the difference in range.

So, it's just a matter of time when someone will put these cars to the test properly.
Till then, I'll rest my case (and also after that).

Last edited: