TopGear: Porsche 911 Turbo S vs Taycan Turbo S: which is faster?

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Interesting numbers, but in real world driving the Taycan will just destroy the 911 Turbo S. Nobody runs perfect dragstrip times on the street, and there, the heavier Taycan will get better traction and times from 0-to-whatever street legal time you want. In any situation where the car is moving at all, the Taycan will just destroy the 911 because of the aforementioned gear change necessity, and the fact that you will never be at just the right point in the gear.

The 911 TurboS is an amazing car, but in terms of real-world times and real-world drivers (not professionals), driving at real-world speeds, I believe the Taycan will dominate any impromptu contest with the 911. I'll say that this won't necessarily be the case on the Autobahn with a very high speed and a really good 911 driver.

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Interesting numbers, but in real world driving the Taycan will just destroy the 911 Turbo S. Nobody runs perfect dragstrip times on the street, and there, the heavier Taycan will get better traction and times from 0-to-whatever street legal time you want. In any situation where the car is moving at all, the Taycan will just destroy the 911 because of the aforementioned gear change necessity, and the fact that you will never be at just the right point in the gear.

The 911 TurboS is an amazing car, but in terms of real-world times and real-world drivers (not professionals), driving at real-world speeds, I believe the Taycan will dominate any impromptu contest with the 911. I'll say that this won't necessarily be the case on the Autobahn with a very high speed and a really good 911 driver.
As I own both (991.2 TTS and a Taycan Turbo S) this statement is simply untrue. In real world, the 991 Turbo S is faster, every single time, everywhere. Not by much, but it is faster.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
As I own both (991.2 TTS and a Taycan Turbo S) this statement is simply untrue. In real world, the 991 Turbo S is faster, every single time, everywhere. Not by much, but it is faster.
Can we just stop using "TTS" for a 911?
It's 911 TS.
It's not an Audi.
TTS is a Taycan Turbo S.
Thanks. :)

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Perhaps I wasn't really clear on my point. The responsiveness of the Taycan makes it 'quicker' by a long shot than the Turbo S. You never have to 'downshift' which takes a tenth or two, and by that time the Taycan is ahead. Here is a quote from the 'Top Gear' review. My point is, that here in the US, you won't be doing 130 mph, and the fact that the Taycan doesn't ever require a gear change to always be at maximum torque is what makes it by far the 'quicker' car in real world driving.

I still reckon the best indicator of real world usable performance is 30-70mph. The Taycan wins that, by a solitary hundredth of a second: 2.02 plays 2.03secs. But get your head around that! Two brief little seconds pile on 40mph. Astonishing. Now, in the actual real world, the 911 would be struggling to keep the Taycan in view. Driving along at a steady 30mph in an electric car you get immediate, instant thrust, while the petrol, unless the driver likes holding second gear, is going to have to kick down first.

The 911’s real advantage happens much higher up, in the realm beyond British and almost all international speed limits. From 60mph to 130mph the 911 Turbo S is 1.3secs ahead. And, in the grand scheme of fast cars, it’s already done its best. Pretty much every McLaren, including the new GT, is quicker, so are the Ferrari 488 and 812. Up there, the 911 Turbo is merely on par. But the electric Taycan is starting to fizzle out, now back running with the Ferrari Portofino and BMW M5s of this world. It takes a third of a second longer to break the quarter mile tape. Still, 10.69secs at 131.6mph isn’t slow.

In addition, here's another Taycan TS vs 911 TS review:

The Taycan Turbo S may post an official 0-62mph time of 2.8 seconds, thanks to 625hp of electric power (or 761hp with launch control enabled), but in reality the electric acceleration makes the 2.7-second 911 Turbo S feel a tiny bit geriatric. Admittedly the Chuck Norris sort of geriatric, but there’s no doubting the mind-bending ferocity of the 1,050Nm of torque being sent to the Taycan’s four wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dee

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Perhaps I wasn't really clear on my point. The responsiveness of the Taycan makes it 'quicker' by a long shot than the Turbo S. You never have to 'downshift' which takes a tenth or two, and by that time the Taycan is ahead. Here is a quote from the 'Top Gear' review. My point is, that here in the US, you won't be doing 130 mph, and the fact that the Taycan doesn't ever require a gear change to always be at maximum torque is what makes it by far the 'quicker' car in real world driving.

I still reckon the best indicator of real world usable performance is 30-70mph. The Taycan wins that, by a solitary hundredth of a second: 2.02 plays 2.03secs. But get your head around that! Two brief little seconds pile on 40mph. Astonishing. Now, in the actual real world, the 911 would be struggling to keep the Taycan in view. Driving along at a steady 30mph in an electric car you get immediate, instant thrust, while the petrol, unless the driver likes holding second gear, is going to have to kick down first.

The 911’s real advantage happens much higher up, in the realm beyond British and almost all international speed limits. From 60mph to 130mph the 911 Turbo S is 1.3secs ahead. And, in the grand scheme of fast cars, it’s already done its best. Pretty much every McLaren, including the new GT, is quicker, so are the Ferrari 488 and 812. Up there, the 911 Turbo is merely on par. But the electric Taycan is starting to fizzle out, now back running with the Ferrari Portofino and BMW M5s of this world. It takes a third of a second longer to break the quarter mile tape. Still, 10.69secs at 131.6mph isn’t slow.

The Taycan Turbo S may post an official 0-62mph time of 2.8 seconds, thanks to 625hp of electric power (or 761hp with launch control enabled), but in reality the electric acceleration makes the 2.7-second 911 Turbo S feel a tiny bit geriatric. Admittedly the Chuck Norris sort of geriatric, but there’s no doubting the mind-bending ferocity of the 1,050Nm of torque being sent to the Taycan’s four wheels.
I can only admit that.
The 911 just feels quicker cuz of the sound but that's the drama, it's the placebo-effect.
I had a 992 C4S and when you do a LC, release the brake, nothing happens for a split second, only after that it takes off.
The Taycan doesn't hesitate and rockets away.
That is real world quick.
Especially for a 4-door.
Lol. :)

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag

it’s untrue to say the Taycan will never ever shift, as it has a gearbox, unless you drive at sports+,in normal mode it will shift if you put your pedal to the metal at 80km/h. And it isn’t a particularly fast shift either.

On the other side, if the Taycan is at sports+, so should be the 911. And if it is at sports+, the downshift won’t be nearly as dramatically slow as you describe it to be, hence the 911 will fly out instantly. And I am talking 991.2 here. The 992 turbo s is said to be even faster. The Taycan is bloody fast and will leave any stock 4 door saloon out there for dead, but I wouldn’t go telling it’s faster than a recent 911 Turbo S.

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Just the point that the Taycan is being compared and being competed against Porsche’s most recognised and appreciated icons The 911 (and that too the fastest version!) is proof enough that the Taycan is indeed something very special from Porsche.
Think about it...this is just the beginning!

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
My 911 4S is mighty, great on the twisty roads, so I’m very happy that there is a debate going on, comparing the two cars. The Taycan is clearly going to be epic, the future versions will be something that I’m sure we will be keeping an eye on...
Sponsored