Touching the rocker panel

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi guys,

I have the feeling my Taycan touches often the rocker panel especially in parkings.
I feel the vehicle.

I can feel the vehicle rising and scraping slightly.

But when I look underneath the vehicle, I don't see anything.

What are the consequences in your opinion?
Sponsored

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
If it were me I would drive to the service center and discuss your concerns with them. Without being at the vehicle to hear/feel the problem it may be difficult to diagnose.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
BenJL are you raising your car to the lifted suspension setting prior to parking?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Hi guys,

I have the feeling my Taycan touches often the rocker panel especially in parkings.
I feel the vehicle.

Hi, I have had problems with a lot of speed bumps and a scraping sound. I think I found where the car scrapes against the ground. Look under the car just in front the front wheels! That is quite a low point of the car, see photo. Guess that is for aerodynamic reasons.
Porsche Taycan Touching the rocker panel 4BC7A537-76D0-4196-BF30-962D3350AE8D

I normally now put the car in sport mode, at least for the suspension. I found that the normal mode was too soft and seem to give an extra movement on the car. It has helped a lot. Or also put the car in a lift mode.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
This is the most concerning topic to me as a soon to be Taycan owner. We have lots of large speed bumps here in Finland and not only that, the road maintenance is lacking funds and we have more potholes every year after winter. It's quite concerning tbh.

These scrape situations; would be quite useful to understand in what situations and with what settings have these happened? As in, has it happened with the lift mode (highest lift setting) also, or just with lower positions?

Just to add according to the manual the car is always in its lowest mode in Eco & Sport Plus settings unless you press the lift button. In normal and sport it changes according to your speed but I think the lift button will still raise it a bit in any situation (not completely sure about this).

I will prolly almost never drive in Eco or Sport Plus mainly because of this. Driving very low in Finland not a recommended combination. But still, I am a bit worried if this is happening even in normal/sport and especially if it still happens even after using the button for the highest lift.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Singularity , I have used Sport mode and Sport plus mode on the motorways. No problems at all here in France since the road surface is excellent and the motorways are very well maintained. I was advised by Porsche to use the normal mode and not range mode or Sport plus mode when driving in towns with ”sleeping policemen”.

I have tried to use the lift mode in normal sometimes and that has helped but I probably went a bit too fast over one, and it still hit the ground. It is more like a bounce of the car, so that is why I tried to set the dampers in harder mode. I have to do this with my other car as well and I am also used to take the bumps at an angle to avoid this.

I do not think you should be worried with “normal” speed bumps, but some of them around here are quite severe. And there are many marks of cars and small lorries left in the ground. :mad::mad:.

So if you really want to avoid all of these set the car in lift mode with firm suspension. And try and test from there.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
The piece identified in the picture above is low enough that it will touch the parking bump stops in the parking lots and at Electrify America charging stations in the US. The lift mechanism lifts the car high enough to clear the obstacles I have encountered. However, a few points to keep in mind, (i) the lift setting will not operate if you are traveling too fast (it will activate while moving at low speed), (ii) approach questionable speed bumps or driveways at a 45 degree angle, and (iii) the function will not complete the lift instantaneously.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Big thanks for the answers. Very informative. Based on this I'll drive using normal mode when in places with speed bumps and driveways and use lift when approaching and drive over them *slowly*. Will also take into account the angle tip.

I think the speed is also key as if you're driving over a speed bump fast the suspension will trigger a larger bounce which might lead to a hit if it's close. Firm suspension setting in this case makes a lot of sense.

This will require some getting used to. I've never driven a car where I have to worry about this and sometimes I drive through speed bumps a bit recklessly. Will need to change that habit entirely.

Maybe I'll spend these few weeks practicing the slow approach with my current car, to get in the mood...

Taycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ex 964 C4,
Country flag
Hi guys,

I feel the vehicle.

I use individual setting. Set the dampers to performance and the highest available level. Seems to work. On very high bumps I also raise the car extra using the manual "button" on the instrument cluster. With the sport chrono button a quick switch of the button to individual sets the sittness and height.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If it's not a ground clearance issue, is it possible you are hearing the plastic ventilation duct for the brakes scrape against the inlet duct as the air suspension is adjusting when you park? These are two separate ducts that should have clearance between them for ride height adjustment but perhaps one is misaligned.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have some more detailed questions about the ground clearance that would be nice to be cleared up. I would do some tests myself but I don't yet have to car, so I can't at the moment.

It seems that in very few places the ground clearance (in inches or millimetres) is actually mentioned, I would have liked to compare the numbers to my current car which seems quite hard at the moment.

So the questions I have basically are:

- What is the ground clearance in normal/sport mode at low speed or parked? (these two modes should be equal in ground clearance, eco/sport+ on the other hand are always on the low setting at any speed)

- The lift mode raises the clearance by 20mm (in comparison to normal/sport!), this is quite clear from the manuals. So if one can actually measure the ground clearance from either without lift or with lift, it's easy to calculate the other from there.

- The individual mode. If you set that to the highest ground clearance, how much is that exactly? Is that equal to using the lift button, or is it the same as normal/sport, or something in between?

- And finally, if you have already set individual mode to the highest setting, does the lift button even have any effect? Or does it have the same effect as lifting from normal/sport, the difference just being the dampers?

- Depending on the answers to some of these questions, is the sport mode actually any different than using the individual mode with dampers set to performance? Sport mode has the higher ground clearance equal to normal mode, and I assume the dampers are much tighter. So are those two in that case actually any different, and if they are, why and how much? As in, is the individual highest setting actually higher than normal/sport, and is the tightest damper setting actually tighter than in sport mode?

Just saying that having such an individual mode might not actually be needed if the default sport mode does the exact same thing. As in, has the same height and sporty dampers.

I will try to answer these questions myself in 3 weeks or so, when I get the car, but if someone else already has the answers or wants to find out, feel free.

Last edited:

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
I find suspension settings on the lowest settings un-drivable, the car is pretty much touching the road! Low is drivable but it does scrape. Medium no issues except when I am reversing in to my driveway which is on a climb (not that steep as my Ferrari does not even rub by the Taycan does!). I now always lift to the highest settings before reversing in to my drive and have no issues.

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have a bit of a bump at the edge of my driveway. With my current car I have it programmed to auto-raise the chassis in the vicinity so I don't have to do it manually. Does the Taycan have that option? If not I'd better start planning to have my driveway repaved. There's also a lot of speed bumps on the roads surrounding me, but I can't do anything about that other than move.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a bit of a bump at the edge of my driveway. With my current car I have it programmed to auto-raise the chassis in the vicinity so I don't have to do it manually. Does the Taycan have that option? If not I'd better start planning to have my driveway repaved. There's also a lot of speed bumps on the roads surrounding me, but I can't do anything about that other than move.
I think it is very prudent to have the driveway repaved. I am not sure if you have followed the discussion about Homelink, but not even that is automated.
Sponsored