Track possiblilties in Northern California?

andrew1cohen

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tayvan GTS, June BMW M4 Convert, Audi, Alfa Romeo
Country flag
Hi All:

Can anyone from N. California direct me to the best place to track my car? I'm sure I'll need to take lessons/classes as it's been way longer than I care to admit.

Thanks,
Andrew
Taycan GTS on order, July delivery.
Sponsored

timo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS, Sequoia
Country flag
Sonoma, Thunderhill or Laguna.

Thunderhill will have more track day options. I'd look into what the charging options are at or near each track before committing to anything.

I'm also awaiting a GTS summer delivery.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Thunderhill is best for the Taycan - it has 350 kW chargers 7 miles from track in willows…both Sonoma and Laguna lack for accessible/feasible fast charging during the day.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...d-on-driving-lap-data-impressions-added.2923/
  • Laguna has a permit for Tesla superchargers but have not broken ground yet - no word/plans announced for CCS fast chargers - but if Tesla ever opens up Superchargers to other cars then these will eventually be useful for non-Telsa's.
  • Buttonwillows has nearby Tesla superchargers and has broken ground on track-local Tesla Superchargers and I believe there are also some CCS chargers going in at the same time - but all of that is future infrastructure not current infrastructure.
  • Sonoma has nothing published about any fast charging at the track
I've tracked my Taycan but it's really not what it excels at - recommend reading above posting and then deciding how much you really need to track this vehicle - logistics are harder for an EV until there is fast charging at the track - also the car can not run a full 25 min HPDE session before it overheats and you've used 50% battery by the time it craps out…

track something else IMHO.

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
You're very lucky that NorCal has three great driving tracks in Thunderhill, Laguna and Sonoma!

OP
OP

andrew1cohen

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tayvan GTS, June BMW M4 Convert, Audi, Alfa Romeo
Country flag
This is great info. Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm new to the track. And its a hobby for me -- mostly a place where I can push the car. It's crowded in the bay area and the HP does not take too kindly if they catch you over 100 mph :)
Sponsored