POR997

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan 4S, 997TT, 986S, 356A
Country flag
Did some track sessions last night at Sydney Motorsport Park (of which I'm quite familiar with).
could only manage 3 sessions (about 12 mins per session with say 6 laps).
started at 95% battery. had to stop when it got to 18% so I could get home!
- michelin PS4 went off after 6 to 8 laps - as expected
- Sport Plus netted only minor benefits in lap times over sport mode
- understeers at the limit - as expected... .it's heavy!
- Acceleration out of the corners is much better than expected.. a lot of grip off camber
- acceleration after say 150kph (top speed on straight saw 228kph) tapers off a lot... so much so that 911's were overtaking me at the end of the straight
- braking and re-gen - yes - that's all good, as is ABS feel
- I have Sports Chrono, PASM, etc.... the stopwatch is a bit of a gimmick (also have a dedicated track GPS device). It's annoying that the settings aren't kept after the car is turned off- so you have to select all those options again every time you go out.
- In Australia - we don't get the "lowered" option on the air suspension whilst stationary. It will only work at 100kph for sustained driving (like freeway). so it never got to the Lowered position whilst on track as speeds were up and down... that's disappointing
- Was surprised that the spoiler (that tiny lift) made some difference (activated on Sport Plus) on the high speed corners. it was noticeable.
- I turned off all the assists as it was annoying (and dangerous if passing). turned off traction on a few laps and did some (slow) slides... I'm not a drifter so only got a couple right.
- the best part was arrival and departure. Whilst others are checking pressures, putting on tow hooks, stickers, topping up octane boost, laptop tunes, etc... I just turned up and went straight onto the track (with helmet). then at the end of the sessions I just left... nothing to pack up - and got some groceries for the wife on the way home.

Porsche Taycan Track Sessions at Sydney Motorsport Park (Eastern Creek) thumbnail_IMG_6644

Porsche Taycan Track Sessions at Sydney Motorsport Park (Eastern Creek) thumbnail_IMG_6645

Porsche Taycan Track Sessions at Sydney Motorsport Park (Eastern Creek) thumbnail_IMG_6642

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Did some track sessions last night at Sydney Motorsport Park (of which I'm quite familiar with).
could only manage 3 sessions (about 12 mins per session with say 6 laps).
started at 95% battery. had to stop when it got to 18% so I could get home!
- michelin PS4 went off after 6 to 8 laps - as expected
- Sport Plus netted only minor benefits in lap times over sport mode
- understeers at the limit - as expected... .it's heavy!
- Acceleration out of the corners is much better than expected.. a lot of grip off camber
- acceleration after say 150kph (top speed on straight saw 228kph) tapers off a lot... so much so that 911's were overtaking me at the end of the straight
- braking and re-gen - yes - that's all good, as is ABS feel
- I turned off all the assists as it was annoying (and dangerous if passing). turned off traction on a few laps and did some (slow) slides... I'm not a drifter so only got a couple right.
- the best part was arrival and departure. Whilst others are checking pressures, putting on tow hooks, stickers, topping up octane boost, laptop tunes, etc... I just turned up and went straight onto the track (with helmet). then at the end of the sessions I just left... nothing to pack up - and got some groceries for the wife on the way home.

thumbnail_IMG_6644.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6645.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6642.jpg
Thanks for this interesting update! Given your Taycan's color scheme, @felixtb must be your brother-from-another-mother.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Really interesting post. You are braver than me to try your car on the track, but good to see a Porsche being used as intended. I am surprised the acceleration tailed off after 150kmh - did this seem more or less noticeable as the battery was depleted? My understanding is that this should not make a difference. Glad to healer the spoiler actually had an affect - on the road I have not noticed any impact and you cannot see when deployed as rear view is so limited.

OP
OP
POR997

POR997

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am surprised the acceleration tailed off after 150kmh - did this seem more or less noticeable as the battery was depleted? My understanding is that this should not make a difference.
acceleration up to say 130 to 150 is brisk.. .the car is out of the corner quicker than most other cars as the electric motors (instant torque) and all the electronics apportion traction accordingly... so this means that as soon as the car has passed the apex you can just mash it and it will go (point and shoot). Battery level didnt affect top end speed / acceleration.
Spoiler - adds to mid corner stability - turn 1 was probably 160kph so it felt more planted with the spoiler up. On slower corners of course, it's not up and doesnt have an impact.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
acceleration up to say 130 to 150 is brisk.. .the car is out of the corner quicker than most other cars as the electric motors (instant torque) and all the electronics apportion traction accordingly... so this means that as soon as the car has passed the apex you can just mash it and it will go (point and shoot). Battery level didnt affect top end speed / acceleration.
Spoiler - adds to mid corner stability - turn 1 was probably 160kph so it felt more planted with the spoiler up. On slower corners of course, it's not up and doesnt have an impact.
Interesting to read that battery level did not affect top speed or acceleration. I seem to remember that @daveo4EV experienced a performance drop upon battery depletion when tracking his Taycan? He also experienced the car limiting performance when the battery started running hot after a couple of spirited laps. Did you experience something similar? I wonder whether the recent software updates may have an impact on the Taycan's tracking behavior ...

OP
OP
POR997

POR997

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting to read that battery level did not affect top speed or acceleration. I seem to remember that @daveo4EV experienced a performance drop upon battery depletion when tracking his Taycan? He also experienced the car limiting performance when the battery started running hot after a couple of spirited laps. Did you experience something similar? I wonder whether the recent software updates may have an impact on the Taycan's tracking behavior ...
Perhaps if temps were warmer then lap times may have been affected. I have a GPS track timer which shows segment times, corner exit, G force and so on...none of these were affected... but my sessions only had 6 or so laps each so perhaps on a longer stint with hotter ambients the performance may be affected. I have another track (daytime) event coming up so will be interesting to compare.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Perhaps if temps were warmer then lap times may have been affected. I have a GPS track timer which shows segment times, corner exit, G force and so on...none of these were affected... but my sessions only had 6 or so laps each so perhaps on a longer stint with hotter ambients the performance may be affected. I have another track (daytime) event coming up so will be interesting to compare.
Keep us informed!

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
That's funny!

I am returning the car for a 2022....... (My electronics have been acting up a little too much..... The propulsion quite on me the other day doing north of 160km/h just for about a 10sec interval but the slowdown was very rapid and was almost hit from behind...... Not fun!)

Getting a chalk coloured one this time :) doing similar treatment but with black and gold...... Should be good....... sorry, leaving you brother!

jezzaj88

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Ahhh interesting I am going to sandown this week in my 4s will have to look at switching off aids especially collision detection warning that activated when I was changing lanes the other day…is this what you’re referring to ? Any tips welcome !

OP
OP
POR997

POR997

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ahhh interesting I am going to sandown this week in my 4s will have to look at switching off aids especially collision detection warning that activated when I was changing lanes the other day…is this what you’re referring to ? Any tips welcome !
On my first run with all aids on and other cars on track there were too many “false positive” reactions. So yes, I would recommend turning them off but leaving traction / stability control on until you’re comfortable with how the car behaves on track. Have fun. Let’s us know how the battery consumption went.
Sponsored