senditback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Limerock runs an “autocross” event, but it’s on a mini circuit, not a parking lot with cones. I had never done anything on track before, so I had to try with the Taycan.

Going in I had two concerns: battery, and the weight of the car. The battery concern was even more than normal since the forecast was for 90 degrees.

On arrival, I had about 85%. There are four Porsche-branded level 2 chargers near the track, so I plugged it in while we walked the track.

Once it was time to drive the car was at 94%. Driving the car hard for several hours on and off still left me with 54% by the end. Amazing.

In terms of performance, I had a blast. It’s a really heavy sedan, but as others have said, Porsche did an excellent job making the weight less noticeable. The car was extremely quick out of the corners, and had an advantage over other cars that were maxing out the RPMs on one straight in 2nd gear. The limiting factor was 100% my beginner level, not the car at all.

Had a great time,would highly recommend.

View attachment 36983

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Limerock runs an “autocross” event, but it’s on a mini circuit, not a parking lot with cones. I had never done anything on track before, so I had to try with the Taycan.

Going in I had two concerns: battery, and the weight of the car. The battery concern was even more than normal since the forecast was for 90 degrees.

On arrival, I had about 85%. There are four Porsche-branded level 2 chargers near the track, so I plugged it in while we walked the track.

Once it was time to drive the car was at 94%. Driving the car hard for several hours on and off still left me with 54% by the end. Amazing.

In terms of performance, I had a blast. It’s a really heavy sedan, but as others have said, Porsche did an excellent job making the weight less noticeable. The car was extremely quick out of the corners, and had an advantage over other cars that were maxing out the RPMs on one straight in 2nd gear. The limiting factor was 100% my beginner level, not the car at all.

Had a great time,would highly recommend.

View attachment 36983
Thanks for sharing. I happen to be in CT so this is particularly interesting. Pls say more about how the car felt at the limits in the bends. Also, what relevant options do you have or wish you had (I already saw your note about PDCC). TIA.

OP
OP

senditback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. I happen to be in CT so this is particularly interesting. Pls say more about how the car felt at the limits in the bends. Also, what relevant options do you have or wish you had (I already saw your note about PDCC). TIA.
The car is undoubtedly heavy. There are two straights, and braking at the end of those always triggered the ABS (I kept traction control on). The tires were consistently screaming around the bends, but I‘m not experienced enough to say whether that was good, bad, or just a function of the 5000 lbs weight. The car literally rocketed out of the turns, and others commented that it was the fastestest straight-line car on the track that day, likely because I didn’t have to shift (there were two other caymans, some boxsters, BMWs, and a few amped up Hondas). The feeling of sliding through a turn and then flooring the electric motors to straighten the car out is unbelievable.

In terms of relevant options, not much. I have the performance plus battery, and the 20” turbo aero wheels. No RAS or anything like that. This was never spec’ed to be a track car, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t fun on a track.

If you’re on the edge, just do it. DM me, too, because I’m going back sometime and it would be fun to have two Taycans there.

Edit: started the day with about 35PSI, ended with about 42 PSI in tires, a little less on the rears.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So I just received my title last week and it says it weighs 5600 lbs. Even at 5k lbs it’s considered heavy, I was shock to see the 5600 figure. What was the highest temperature you saw on the battery?

OP
OP

senditback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So I just received my title last week and it says it weighs 5600 lbs. Even at 5k lbs it’s considered heavy, I was shock to see the 5600 figure. What was the highest temperature you saw on the battery?
The highest I saw it go was 96 degrees F, which was impressive since the ambient air temp was 85 or so on average. But the car was only on track for 15 minutes or so at a time, so it had time to cool.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Wow only 96? Mine got over 100 during a regular commute.

OP
OP

senditback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wow only 96? Mine got over 100 during a regular commute.
That’s really interesting. What mode are you commuting in? Even in my 2 hour drive home (mix of highways and rural back roads), I didn’t get above 94. I was in sport, with no A/C or battery regen on for the track

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
That’s really interesting. What mode are you commuting in? Even in my 2 hour drive home (mix of highways and rural back roads), I didn’t get above 94. I was in sport, with no A/C or battery regen on for the track
Always in sport with AC on eco. Today was 98F outside, and it got to 96, but there was a bit of traffic so didn’t get to push it much.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
The car is undoubtedly heavy. There are two straights, and braking at the end of those always triggered the ABS (I kept traction control on). The tires were consistently screaming around the bends, but I‘m not experienced enough to say whether that was good, bad, or just a function of the 5000 lbs weight. The car literally rocketed out of the turns, and others commented that it was the fastestest straight-line car on the track that day, likely because I didn’t have to shift (there were two other caymans, some boxsters, BMWs, and a few amped up Hondas). The feeling of sliding through a turn and then flooring the electric motors to straighten the car out is unbelievable.

In terms of relevant options, not much. I have the performance plus battery, and the 20” turbo aero wheels. No RAS or anything like that. This was never spec’ed to be a track car, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t fun on a track.

If you’re on the edge, just do it. DM me, too, because I’m going back sometime and it would be fun to have two Taycans there.

Edit: started the day with about 35PSI, ended with about 42 PSI in tires, a little less on the rears.
Thanks for the information and the inspiration. I have never tracked any of my cars before. I won’t get mine until August but I may just take my current DD to limerock. It would be interesting to get a feel for the track via ICE and EV. Will be sure to DM when ahead of my visit. Thx!

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
What shape are your tyres in? Have you destroyed them or has it not had much detrimental effect? It strikes me that is the real cost of a track day

OP
OP

senditback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
What shape are your tyres in? Have you destroyed them or has it not had much detrimental effect? It strikes me that is the real cost of a track day
Tires were just fine. I’m sure there was more wear than normal.

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Great car, but had to go with the Turbo. 4S just doesn’t have that kick at mid-speed when you put your foot down/ Turbo/S are the only track worthy Taycans imo.
Sponsored