Trade in 911 or sell separately?

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Those of you who've recently picked up a Taycan and either traded in or sold another Porsche in the transition... hoping to pick your brains :)

I'm hoping to get ideas and data points regarding two questions:
1) How close to KBB trade-in or private party have you been getting?
2) Would you at this point sell privately, use something like carvana or trade-in when picking up the Taycan?

I have a 2018 911 GTS that I likely have to trade in or sell (just no space, and as it is I'm only putting ~1,000 miles on it per year). Usually I would sell private party, or maybe via carvana/carmax. But I'm tempted to see what the Porsche dealer will offer. Carvana/carmax seem more optimized for cars at a different price point, and private party feels like it invites a whole bunch of folks who just want a chance to take a 911 for a spin. (that's what happened when I tried selling an M3 this way).
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
1) I got fair price for my trade close to KBB (and discount on ordered car)
2) By selling to the the dealer I don't pay sales tax on the entire amount of the new car - offseting more cost

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
I already sold my 911 with similar reasons. Be aware of that, I missing it so-so much, not sitting in my garage... Think it twice.
I would happily buy yours right now, but it is other side of the world. Here not easy to find a well cared low milage 911, I sold on the 2nd day private.

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
I put up my 2017 Targa 4S for sale about 10 days ago. Several offers but one serious. Got lucky because this buyer is a proper enthusiast. Working with them now. Settled at well over KBB value, and that's considering I've driven mine 73000 miles.

You'll get a good price. Quote high, wait for a real buyer and work down on the price with them.

The only problem: I damn near cried when he was testing it out. Hard to let go.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Shop it with dealers, get the consensus pricing, then sell it private if possible.
A dealer will just buy it and mark it up anyway.

If you decide to consign a car at a small non franchise dealer, make sure you don't give the title until the money has cleared your account.
Look at CNC Motors

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
Dealers were excited to buy my 10 year old M3 but at the KBB “instant price” - not even trade in or private party. I sold it private party at about 3-4k above KBB which was $13k over dealer offer. 911 should be even more attractive.

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
Totally depends on your comfort level on going through the process of selling your car - having each potential buyer tell you that you have priced it too high, letting someone do a PPI on your car since any buyer is going to want one at our price range, wondering about how easily it will be to get your funds, etc (you are probably figuring out that I was not interested in those things and that would be correct).

I looked all over to come up with what I thought was a reasonable price on my 2013 Carrera S Cab and put it on Rennlist for that price. My dealer gave me a good price that was about $500 less that what I was asking once I cancelled my Fidelity Extended Warranty and got a refund (I would have transferred the warranty to the new buyer). To me it was definitely worth $500 to not have to go through all the things in my first paragraph.

Good luck on whatever you do .... used prices are insane right now!

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Vroom (and probably Carvana as well) will now give you a number without seeing the car first. So i'd recommend filling out their form and submitting to see what number they'd give you. I tried it on our 2020 Range Rover Sport and Vroom came back with a 70k offer a few weeks ago (which sounded pretty strong to me). Of course your 911 is worth more than that, but I bet they'll give you an offer. Atleast you'll have a "hassle free" number in hand before you ask the dealer how much they'll offer.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Those of you who've recently picked up a Taycan and either traded in or sold another Porsche in the transition... hoping to pick your brains :)
I traded a 2014 991.1 Targa 4S, Guards Red. Good condition, I cared for it, but wear commensurate with the 65k miles on it. The dealer trade was a hair lower than KBB, Carvana was a little lower than their offer.

I ended up doing the trade anyway as the sales tax credit we get in Texas made it worth it. I have a feeling I will be angry when I see that Targa eventually go up for sale. :)

One thing noteworthy is that 991's with Sport Chrono (mine was) have a "stop sell" order on them. The dealerships literally cannot sell those cars until Porsche comes up with a software fix to stop the emissions from Sport+ mode. This was used to avoid budging on the trade value.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I traded in my 991.2 to the dealer. They gave me a good offer, and with the tax savings (6.25% here in Texas), it didn't make any sense to try to sell it privately.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I traded in my 991.2 to the dealer. They gave me a good offer, and with the tax savings (6.25% here in Texas), it didn't make any sense to try to sell it privately.
Exactly the reason I did a trade-in. Tax savings.

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
One thing noteworthy is that 991's with Sport Chrono (mine was) have a "stop sell" order on them. The dealerships literally cannot sell those cars until Porsche comes up with a software fix to stop the emissions from Sport+ mode. This was used to avoid budging on the trade value
amazing that Porsche dealerships would use their own cars defect to lower their value when buying your car.
Sponsored