Traded Taycan 4 CT for EQS 450 4Matic SUV

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
I put a couple of hundred miles on a new EQS SUV since Saturday. The Taycan is definitely a better handling vehicle, but the EQS has a lot going for it. I had to give up the 800v architecture and the 2-speed transmission, but the MB does have two of my favorite features - air suspension and blended friction/recuperative braking.

I miss the frunk in the Taycan but there is plenty of cargo space in the 5-seat version of the SUV including a relatively large storage area below the entire cargo area floor. I like the fact that the EQS has sedan style mounting points for roof bars that don't require optional rails like the Taycan CT. I never got the cross bars for my Taycan due to the damage to the rails reported by other forum members.

I like the fact that MB has the HomeLink buttons on the bottom of the mirror and that controlling the direction and flow of the A/C vents does not require finding the controls on the screen.

The surround view camera in the EQS works the way you would expect it to in a $100K+ car. I still have a lot to learn about the software features and UI, but I am encouraged by what I have seen so far. For example, setting up AC charging to occur during non-peak hours is as simple as designating the hours of the day that charging should not occur. The GPS also has a feature I missed in the Taycan, the ability to display a list of each route on the way to the final destination.

I have not tried DC charging yet, but my understanding is that the two years of free charging is available at three different charging networks.

The software in the Mercedes seems to be developed by programmers who spent some time with focus groups getting input from consumers. Whereas, the Porsche software seems to have been written by people who have never driven a car.

I think the recession must be just around the corner since there were about twenty of the EQS SUVs on the dealer lots in the Philadelphia Area. Zero waiting time as long as you don't mind accepting a car with a few options that you would never specify on an ordered vehicle.

Even though the EQS SUV is well over the IRA $80K limit for SUVs to qualify for the $7500 tax credit, this car, which is assembled in Alabama, is eligible for the credit if you take delivery by 31-Dec-2022.

Porsche Taycan Traded Taycan 4 CT for EQS 450 4Matic SUV IMG_0457
Sponsored

backslashed

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I am a bit confused as to why you have made this post on the Taycan forum and what you are trying to say or ask. Why did you get this car?

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am a bit confused as to why you have made this post on the Taycan forum and what you are trying to say or ask. Why did you get this car?
I agree with you that this post does not belong in the General Taycan Topics forum which is the reason I posted it in the Porsche Taycan Versus… forum. If you look at other threads in the PTV forum you will see that pretty much every one is about another brand EV.

backslashed

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I agree with you that this post does not belong in the General Taycan Topics forum which is the reason I posted it in the Porsche Taycan Versus… forum. If you look at other threads in the PTV forum you will see that pretty much every one is about another brand EV.
It is fine. I wasn’t saying you shouldn’t have posted.The main idea in my post was the last question: I’d be curious to hear why you switched to this car. I see you got lost in the first few sentences.

tomahawkBE

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Can you tell us why you opted for another brand / model?

I'm doing the inverse really, I'm swapping a big SUV (BMW X5 45e) for Porsche Taycan because I don't like the driving in the X5 that much if I'm completely honest. The looks are fine, I've specced it out really nice. It is sporty/quick as well but it feels like I'm driving around an ice cream truck compared to driving the Taycan. I bought the X5 under impulse of my wife (yeah I know ...) in the past and it was never my favorite car dispite the good looks / comfort / safety /technology features (all very good). The driving feels underwhelming compared to a car that is low to the ground and feels sporty.

The Taycan made me feel like I was really driving / engaged / sporty. I loved it straight away. Now I need to get to the point where I receive my order ... almost there.

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is fine. I wasn’t saying you shouldn’t have posted.The main idea in my post was the last question: I’d be curious to hear why you switched to this car. I see you got lost in the first few sentences.
Actually, I didn’t get lost. It’s almost 2:00 am and I needed more time to properly answer your question. Maybe tomorrow .

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I agree that Mercedes has come a long way in a short period of time with their electric cars. I’ve never really liked the modern design of their ICE cars which I jokingly refer to “sagging bananas” (look at the bottom of the window line ) but their EQ line has a distinctive look which has grown on me. Their driving assistance is also in another league from Porsche as is the comfort of their electric cars (only sat in the EQC).

that being said their electric cars weigh an astonishing amount which although cannot be felt in a straight line will dampen any feel in twisty roads (which may actually be a positive as I’ve been caught speeding recently).

I think our Taycan are already c. 400kgs too heavy at 2300kgs. I wish it weighed closer to the 1900 kgs of RS6/M5. The EQS suv weighing 2,600kgs is a non starter for me, for driving feel but also for emergency braking etc which I would not trust to be effective with slippery conditions.
But I’d surely prefer the EQS over the Taycan for a road trip.
Let us know what made up your mind!

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
I agree that Mercedes has come a long way in a short period of time with their electric cars. I’ve never really liked the modern design of their ICE cars which I jokingly refer to “sagging bananas” (look at the bottom of the window line ) but their EQ line has a distinctive look which has grown on me. Their driving assistance is also in another league from Porsche as is the comfort of their electric cars (only sat in the EQC).

that being said their electric cars weigh an astonishing amount which although cannot be felt in a straight line will dampen any feel in twisty roads (which may actually be a positive as I’ve been caught speeding recently).

I think our Taycan are already c. 400kgs too heavy at 2300kgs. I wish it weighed closer to the 1900 kgs of RS6/M5. The EQS suv weighing 2,600kgs is a non starter for me, for driving feel but also for emergency braking etc which I would not trust to be effective with slippery conditions.
But I’d surely prefer the EQS over the Taycan for a road trip.
Let us know what made up your mind!
I had a 2009 RS6 Avant, the V10 one, and that weighed 2,100kgs so the difference isn't that big, 10% maybe, the last RS6 to weigh 1900 kgs was probably the original.

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
I totally understand the increasing trend for jellybean-shaped cars due to much-needed aerodynamic efficiency when designing EVs, but I really don't like how MB has taken this concept and made it priority #1 over anything else it seems. IMO, they didn't even make a decent effort to make a good-looking EV. They went with maximum aero efficiency and to hell with any semblance of attractive styling. I mean c'mon! We all know this is possible - Porsche has done it, Audi too to some degree, and even Tesla to an even lesser degree. But all the MB EQ models literally look the same from a distance - they all look like jellybeans with a big 3-pointed star stuck on one end.

Sorry, I don't mean to offend the OP or anyone who bought an MB EQ. Aside from the jellybean styling, they are very good EVs. I've test-driven an EQS sedan and if I were looking for maximum daily-driving luxury over anything else, this would be on my list. But I wanted an EV disguised as a sexy sports car, so Taycan it is. I just wished MB had at least introduced even one EV model, especially an AMG variant that was more style and performance focused. It's probably coming soon at some point, but the current trend in MB's design language would suggest otherwise.

proficient_mathematician

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I totally understand the increasing trend for jellybean-shaped cars due to much-needed aerodynamic efficiency when designing EVs, but I really don't like how MB has taken this concept and made it priority #1 over anything else it seems. IMO, they didn't even make a decent effort to make a good-looking EV. They went with maximum aero efficiency and to hell with any semblance of attractive styling. I mean c'mon! We all know this is possible - Porsche has done it, Audi too to some degree, and even Tesla to an even lesser degree. But all the MB EQ models literally look the same from a distance - they all look like jellybeans with a big 3-pointed star stuck on one end.
Agree with this to an extreme degree. And it’s not like Mercedes doesn’t know how to build good-looking cars, just look at some of their coupés. I wish they’d let their EVs take a few .01’s of a hit in the Cd value and made them look a little sportier.

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am not going to defend MBs styling choices except to say that the EQS SUV looks better than the sedan. The temporary $7500 tax credit is compensation for the styling I gave up by trading the Taycan.

I am discovering more useful features everyday. For example, I can connect to my WIFI at home or my cell phone hot spot while on the road to use a browser. One thing that MB has in common with Porsche is the sales staff doesn’t know much about the cars.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag

Sorry, I don't mean to offend the OP or anyone who bought an MB EQ. Aside from the jellybean styling, they are very good EVs. I've test-driven an EQS sedan and if I were looking for maximum daily-driving luxury over anything else, this would be on my list. But I wanted an EV disguised as a sexy sports car, so Taycan it is. I just wished MB had at least introduced even one EV model, especially an AMG variant that was more style and performance focused. It's probably coming soon at some point, but the current trend in MB's design language would suggest otherwise.
The SUV is MUCH better looking than the sedan, which is, IMO, one of the worst looking cars to have been released in the last decade.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Congrats and I wish you the best of luck with your new car. I’d be interested in occasional updates as you gain more experience. The styling is not for me personally but I’m interested in hearing how your MB EV experience is overall in case they come out with anything interesting in the future.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
The SUV is MUCH better looking than the sedan, which is, IMO, one of the worst looking cars to have been released in the last decade.
worse than the lucidcair?