Transferability of Free 3 Years of Electrify America Charging?

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading the extremely helpful posts on this forum for a couple of months and finally joined to ask a question. You all have been super helpful as I have researched and fell in love with this car.

My plan was initially to build a custom order highly spec’d 4S and that is what I test drove a while back. That then led me to all the helpful posts about a high spec 4S vs. Turbo and moved me to a moderately spec’d Turbo.

Well fast forward and dealers have no allocations for me until “maybe” November or December, plus production delays and chip shortages. I wasn’t in that much of a rush but happened to come across a low mileage 2020 CPO Turbo S in amazing condition at a dealer out-of-state and at a very aggressive price. So that is now what I’m doing and am in the final stages of the purchase process. Thanks again to all of you for your immense help in getting me here. I never thought I would be in the Turbo S trim for my first ever Porsche (although been a huge fan of the brand forever). Suffice it to say, I’m a little excited….

Now to my question. I tried searching but did not see this addressed anywhere. The car was initially sold in July of 2020 so there should be about 21 or so months left of the Electrify America free charging. The selling dealership is telling me that it does not transfer to a new owner. If that’s the case then it is what it is (and I don’t plan on many long trips at all and will charge almost exclusively at home so not a huge deal) but I looked up the press release when this was announced and it said the cost of the fee charging would be included in the price of the car and I did not see anything saying it’s non-transferable. Wondering if anybody has had any experiences with a used Taycan (CPO or otherwise) where they were able to use the balance of the 3 years from the initial owner. Thanks!

Mike
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

Now to my question. I tried searching but did not see this addressed anywhere. The car was initially sold in July of 2020 so there should be about 21 or so months left of the Electrify America free charging. The selling dealership is telling me that it does not transfer to a new owner. If that’s the case then it is what it is (and I don’t plan on many long trips at all and will charge almost exclusively at home so not a huge deal) but I looked up the press release when this was announced and it said the cost of the fee charging would be included in the price of the car and I did not see anything saying it’s non-transferable. Wondering if anybody has had any experiences with a used Taycan (CPO or otherwise) where they were able to use the balance of the 3 years from the initial owner. Thanks!

Mike
Fraud? the offer was and is for NEW cars sold, your deal is not for a NEW car, where is the fraud?

OP
OP
madeyong

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
Fraud? the offer was and is for NEW cars sold, your deal is not for a NEW car, where is the fraud?
Thanks for your reply but I don’t think I ever said fraud. I am not alleging that at all. Just wondering if anyone had any different experiences with this because I find the messaging unclear. I never saw anything saying it was for NEW cars only. If there is then I stand corrected. What I did see in the press release announcing the free charging, however, was that it was included in the cost of the car, not unlike how a factory warranty is included in the price of the car. Silly me, I guess, for thinking it would not be unreasonable to think it may be transferable (like a factory warranty) absent specific language saying it is for the first purchaser only and not transferable.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
@madeyong I wouldn't stress over it. It will not cost you a bunch to charge over the ownership. If I remember looking at the cost (that is covered with new purchase, but EA still shows the price on the charging screen) of going from, say 10%-85% it was between $6-8 on a 350kW charger.

So, the small amount of trips you do have to do, you are paying under $10 to 'fill-up'. For your use-case, I would think the opportunity cost to try to get this 'subscription' would be far more, than simply paying $10 when you need it.

Hope that helps put things in context and in my opinion, not worth haggling with. Not to mention, you may be using another network just as often as EA?

Good luck!

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
@madeyong - perhaps you should call Porsche Cars North America to ask if the initial 3 years of free 30 minute EA charging, as well as the other Porsche Connect features (these are more important than the free charging) are transferable (or if you need to pay a new subscription fee).

OP
OP
madeyong

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
@madeyong I wouldn't stress over it. It will not cost you a bunch to charge over the ownership. If I remember looking at the cost (that is covered with new purchase, but EA still shows the price on the charging screen) of going from, say 10%-85% it was between $6-8 on a 350kW charger.

So, the small amount of trips you do have to do, you are paying under $10 to 'fill-up'. For your use-case, I would think the opportunity cost to try to get this 'subscription' would be far more, than simply paying $10 when you need it.

Hope that helps put things in context and in my opinion, not worth haggling with. Not to mention, you may be using another network just as often as EA?

Good luck!
Thanks a lot. Agreed. I won’t be haggling over this one and I am very happy with the deal regardless. More just curiosity than anything.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
@madeyong - perhaps you should call Porsche Cars North America to ask if the initial 3 years of free 30 minute EA charging, as well as the other Porsche Connect features (these are more important than the free charging) are transferable (or if you need to pay a new subscription fee).
That's actually a good point! It is actually the 'Charge NA' App vs. a subscription to EA, so perhaps you may just have to download the Porsche Charge NA app and tie that to your My Porsche account and the VIN might actually allow it to be transferred? Worth a shot as you may have more luck with the web service then the actual dealer? It might just be tied to the VIN?

OP
OP
madeyong

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
That's actually a good point! It is actually the 'Charge NA' App vs. a subscription to EA, so perhaps you may just have to download the Porsche Charge NA app and tie that to your My Porsche account and the VIN might actually allow it to be transferred? Worth a shot as you may have more luck with the web service then the actual dealer? It might just be tied to the VIN?
Thanks! Will report back my experience for others once I take possession of the vehicle and get the My Porsche account set up.

Jeff R

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading the extremely helpful posts on this forum for a couple of months and finally joined to ask a question. You all have been super helpful as I have researched and fell in love with this car.

My plan was initially to build a custom order highly spec’d 4S and that is what I test drove a while back. That then led me to all the helpful posts about a high spec 4S vs. Turbo and moved me to a moderately spec’d Turbo.

Well fast forward and dealers have no allocations for me until “maybe” November or December, plus production delays and chip shortages. I wasn’t in that much of a rush but happened to come across a low mileage 2020 CPO Turbo S in amazing condition at a dealer out-of-state and at a very aggressive price. So that is now what I’m doing and am in the final stages of the purchase process. Thanks again to all of you for your immense help in getting me here. I never thought I would be in the Turbo S trim for my first ever Porsche (although been a huge fan of the brand forever). Suffice it to say, I’m a little excited….

Mike

I bought mine used from a dealership in Southern California and the free charging balance was transferred to me. I've used it several times without any problem. As mentioned already, it's probably not a deal breaker if it doesn't transfer to you since almost all of your charging will likely be done at home. But it is nice to charge for 30 minutes and not have to pay.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
it transfers with the car. I just did it on my MY20 with a June 2021 purchase date. No muss, no fuss.

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mino cooper S, waiting for taycan CT
Country flag
Regarding being part of the purchase of the vehicle, when you are building a Taycan, part of the MSRP and standard equipment is the 3 years free charging.

OP
OP
madeyong

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
Thanks everyone. I have been able to transfer the Porsche Connect subscrription no problem and set up the Porsche Charging Service with a one year subscription. I did have to enter my credit card (which I understand I would have to do regardless for overages) but I have not had a chance to try a charge at Electrify America yet since there is not one near me. Hopefully it transferred that too.

BlakDragun2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

Mike
I bought my 2020 4S used in September 2021. The Electrify America free charging transferred to me for the remaining two years. I believe it follows the vehicle, not the person. That has been my experience as I charge 90% of the time with the free Electrify America charging. Hope this helps.
Sponsored