First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Hello all,

After over 1.5 years of being a first time Porsche owner (at the time) of Taycan Turbo S I am about to switch over to the Audi RS Etron GT. The Audi was the car I initially was waiting for, but because the Taycan came out earlier and because of its quality/character and wanting to try out a Porsche that is the car I got. I have been a relatively active member of this forum since then and have to say this is an AMAZING forum, with great people, lots of good information, conversation and humor. And honestly some of the most civil bunch of people (with very minor exceptions) that I have had the pleasure of interacting with.

So why am I doing it? By the numbers the Audi is the less "capable" car. I have no issues with the TTS, it is an amazing piece of kit. I have one of the first release cars and have had almost no issues outside of the usual firmware fixes (and a somewhat sticky charge port door, not a fan of automatic ones). But as capable as the car is something about it never "clicked" for me. Again to be clear this is more about me than the car. On a whim I did go see and drive an RS Etron GT and it finally dawned on me what it was.

My general comment on this forum has been that the TTS or even the TT is "too much" car for most use cases, that a well options 4S is a better choice (outside of drag race creds). For me what never lined up was that TTS drives, acts and feels like a true sports car (almost for track), yet its a large 4 door sedan. And as great as it is in hiding its weight with the active anti roll and all the adaptive suspension it still is a big heavy car. My brain just couldn't put those things together. I am completely happy being in very stiff and uncomfortable 2 seat sports car (and in fact ended up buying a 718 spyder and love that car so am still a Porsche owner).

When I test drove the RS Etron it definitely is comparable but in a different "catagory." The comfort ride/drive is less strict and easier than the Taycan normal mode. In fact I would guess the the "Dynamic" setting comes close to the TTS normal (so its covering a slightly different range of behaviour). It has a higher ride position and even the RS seats are a little more comfortable. But when in dynamic it is still WAY more car than is needed in any kind of fun/road conditions and even on a track. I am sure the TT would do slightly better on a track (that is the comparable car). But that is the issue: I never intend to take the TTS on a track.

So for me the Audi is a more "pure" version of a very fast and sporty GT car. I can drive it in a leisurely road trip, but flip it into aggressive mode to have fun. As for the interiors I prefer the more modern take on the Taycan but the Audi interior is very good and hate to say it the MMI is better (including the displays and cameras).

If anyone is interested here I will be happy to share more observations as I get stick time on the Audi. In my opinion at the end of the day you can not go wrong which one you choose, it simply comes down to what fits you better and maybe aesthetic choices. As much as I appreciate the look of the Taycan I am in the small camp that never found it "beautiful," but as much as the Etron GT is a bit "overdone" I prefer its overall sheetmetal design better.

Hopefully I won't get "kicked out" for my betrayal... :crying:
Sponsored

Norfolkporsche

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Turbo S
Country flag
Hello all,

After over 1.5 years of being a first time Porsche owner (at the time) of Taycan Turbo S I am about to switch over to the Audi RS Etron GT. The Audi was the car I initially was waiting for, but because the Taycan came out earlier and because of its quality/character and wanting to try out a Porsche that is the car I got. I have been a relatively active member of this forum since then and have to say this is an AMAZING forum, with great people, lots of good information, conversation and humor. And honestly some of the most civil bunch of people (with very minor exceptions) that I have had the pleasure of interacting with.

So why am I doing it? By the numbers the Audi is the less "capable" car. I have no issues with the TTS, it is an amazing piece of kit. I have one of the first release cars and have had almost no issues outside of the usual firmware fixes (and a somewhat sticky charge port door, not a fan of automatic ones). But as capable as the car is something about it never "clicked" for me. Again to be clear this is more about me than the car. On a whim I did go see and drive an RS Etron GT and it finally dawned on me what it was.

My general comment on this forum has been that the TTS or even the TT is "too much" car for most use cases, that a well options 4S is a better choice (outside of drag race creds). For me what never lined up was that TTS drives, acts and feels like a true sports car (almost for track), yet its a large 4 door sedan. And as great as it is in hiding its weight with the active anti roll and all the adaptive suspension it still is a big heavy car. My brain just couldn't put those things together. I am completely happy being in very stiff and uncomfortable 2 seat sports car (and in fact ended up buying a 718 spyder and love that car so am still a Porsche owner).

When I test drove the RS Etron it definitely is comparable but in a different "catagory." The comfort ride/drive is less strict and easier than the Taycan normal mode. In fact I would guess the the "Dynamic" setting comes close to the TTS normal (so its covering a slightly different range of behaviour). It has a higher ride position and even the RS seats are a little more comfortable. But when in dynamic it is still WAY more car than is needed in any kind of fun/road conditions and even on a track. I am sure the TT would do slightly better on a track (that is the comparable car). But that is the issue: I never intend to take the TTS on a track.

So for me the Audi is a more "pure" version of a very fast and sporty GT car. I can drive it in a leisurely road trip, but flip it into aggressive mode to have fun. As for the interiors I prefer the more modern take on the Taycan but the Audi interior is very good and hate to say it the MMI is better (including the displays and cameras).

If anyone is interested here I will be happy to share more observations as I get stick time on the Audi. In my opinion at the end of the day you can not go wrong which one you choose, it simply comes down to what fits you better and maybe aesthetic choices. As much as I appreciate the look of the Taycan I am in the small camp that never found it "beautiful," but as much as the Etron GT is a bit "overdone" I prefer its overall sheetmetal design

interesting post. I’d certainly like to hear what you think once you’ve got the Audi and how it compares.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
KICK HIM OUT!!! TRAITOR!!!! ;)

Have fun! I'd love to hear more about the comparison.

I'm also searching for a new car. Love love love my Taycan but, well, I have a short attention span. Plue I also kind of agree with your point.. I'd rather have a NA Cayman and an electric base Macan than a Taycan.

So I'm looking for a more practical EV to move into and find a more pure sportscar to goof off in on the side.

Hope you have fun in the Audi!

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
KICK HIM OUT!!! TRAITOR!!!! ;)

Have fun! I'd love to hear more about the comparison.

I'm also searching for a new car. Love love love my Taycan but, well, I have a short attention span. Plue I also kind of agree with your point.. I'd rather have a NA Cayman and an electric base Macan than a Taycan.

So I'm looking for a more practical EV to move into and find a more pure sportscar to goof off in on the side.

Hope you have fun in the Audi!
Nothing special in the pipeline for EVs in the US till 2025

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
You made an interesting choice. One of my co-managers test drove the Taycan, but also chose the e-Tron GT RS. It looks and sounds good. Of course, I drove his car, too, after delivery. And funnily, I liked the steering of the Taycan a bit better. But both are great, also, the e-Tron has "The Rear of the Year" :like:!

frankchn

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 TTS, Taycan TTS
Country flag
Congratulations, and thanks for sharing!

I am actually going in the other direction. I currently have a (base) e-tron GT and have a Taycan Turbo S on a boat right now scheduled to be delivered early December.

The quality of the interior for the e-tron GT is very good, but I think it is a bit too much like every other Audi on the road.

Performance wise, I thought the base e-tron GT really doesn't have a lot of pull at higher speeds. The ride, while very comfortable and quiet, is a touch soft for my taste, and the Taycan Turbo I drove has a firmer ride which I liked.

It will be interesting to compare notes when you have spent more time with the RS e-tron GT as well.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Congratulations, and thanks for sharing!

I am actually going in the other direction. I currently have a (base) e-tron GT and have a Taycan Turbo S on a boat right now scheduled to be delivered early December.

The quality of the interior for the e-tron GT is very good, but I think it is a bit too much like every other Audi on the road.

Performance wise, I thought the base e-tron GT really doesn't have a lot of pull at higher speeds. The ride, while very comfortable and quiet, is a touch soft for my taste, and the Taycan Turbo I drove has a firmer ride which I liked.

It will be interesting to compare notes when you have spent more time with the RS e-tron GT as well.
When driving the The Etron GT, i noticed it died after 60mph. Launch was such a rush, but after that, not so much
Taycan is a car that attracts all drivers from all OEMS, even other EVs. Audis focus was for current Audi drivers that want an electrified experience so the UX and interior are very familiar.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
For me what never lined up was that TTS drives, acts and feels like a true sports car (almost for track), yet its a large 4 door sedan.
I had the exact same sensation, after I first saw and drove the TTS on the Hockenheimring. Left with the feeling of being annoyed. I was desperately needing an proper GT EV car. The TTS looked like a car but drove like a hard core racing machine.

Glad I settled with the 4S without PDCC.

If anyone is interested here I will be happy to share more observations as I get stick time on the Audi.
I am interested! :)

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hope no one who's super #wokeculture gets offended, but this sounds like you're dumping Jane for Sarah. They're all gonna have pros and cons and an infatuation stage, and later on be an occasional nag once shinyness has gone away.

Seems like the answer is after a few years to go for Greta.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hello all,

If anyone is interested here I will be happy to share more observations as I get stick time on the Audi. In my opinion at the end of the day you can not go wrong which one you choose, it simply comes down to what fits you better and maybe aesthetic choices. As much as I appreciate the look of the Taycan I am in the small camp that never found it "beautiful," but as much as the Etron GT is a bit "overdone" I prefer its overall sheetmetal design better.

When do you take delivery? Please keep us posted when you get it with your impressions!

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hope no one who's super #wokeculture gets offended, but this sounds like you're dumping Jane for Sarah. They're all gonna have pros and cons and an infatuation stage, and later on be an occasional nag once shinyness has gone away.

Seems like the answer is after a few years to go for Greta.
Where GreTa is a GT3, right?
:)

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
interesting post. I’d certainly like to hear what you think once you’ve got the Audi and how it compares.
Thanks, will do. Honestly besides never "falling in love" with the Taycan I am also very interested in learning about how two very good car companies and sets of engineers start with the same basic drivetrain then create two different driving experiences. Its a rare thing to have a chance to do something like this, purely compare tuning, suspension, and other choices in the same essential drivetrain.

I am not offended, just amused by the misuse of the word "woke culture" in general and specially the pointless use in this context.

When do you take delivery? Please keep us posted when you get it with your impressions!
I swapped today. Took the new child out for an hour of basic "test run." Few interesting observations:

1) Of course the minute I traded in the TTS suddenly I start missing the car. I love how the human mind works! Suddenly I forgot all the stuff I didn't like and only remembered the "good times." We have all been there, with Jane, Sarah, etc.

2) The Taycan allowed for far more customization of settings in drivetrain, etc. The audi reduces the choices. Call this good, or bad.

3) The RS E-Tron definitely feels "softer" in the suspension and the steering. So initially it "feels" less capable. Of course the first thing I tried was the acceleration, and I have to say even with cold tires it didn't feel that different than the TTS. I haven't done a launch yet, but my guess is the TTS hurt you just a little bit more when you floored it. Then I took the car on some back roads I know very well and this is where the real surprise came in.

The TTS "feels" so much tighter and "low to the ground" the you think it would blow away the RS Etorn from the feel. But when I put the car in dynamic and pushed into corners the car simply did it. Its too early to tell but it seems the "feeling" of softness doesn't correspond to ability. I'll push it harder tomorrow when I am more awake, but I would have expected more of an actual handling/cornering difference by feel. But the Audi suspension is glorious, specially in comfort. Its one of the most luxurious smooth yet tight rides I have felt.

The steering definitely feels lighter and "easier." So this is a love it or hate it. Honestly it was one of the things I didn't like about the TTS. It just meant you had to work at it but it didn't give you any more feel than the RS ETron. I say this as compared to the actual mechanical steering of an Alfa 4C where the work is because you ARE connected to the road, or the McLaren steering. The Audi just requires better wheel control, because its not forcing fake heavy feel on you and if you are pushing the car when not attending you can definitely over steer.

More to come.

Swede-ish

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Land Rover Defender 110, BMW 530e
Country flag
Admittedly, I have only owned one Audi - my 2020 R8 V10. I was super excited when I got it, but it went downwards from there. I sold it when I got the Taycan Turbo. I have not owned a car with so many visits to the "workshop" since my last RR Phantom coupe. When the RS Etron GT came around, I was curious. The local Calabasas dealer had two in stock (at an overage). I was impressed by the external styling, maybe (!) better than the Taycan, but the interior was very disappointing. Seemed dated and somewhat below standard. I was assuming it is a Taycan in sheep's clothing, but not for me.

Roppe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S MY22
Country flag
Cool to hear your impressions on this one. I was choosing between the Taycan and the e-tron GT (as many others I’m sure) and they really are quite different aren’t they? The GT feeling of the Audi is quite prominent, and to me, the car feels quite a bit bigger when driving it. I have been driving Teslas for the past 6 years, so I am a bit over the 0-60 thing, but was still looking at the RS version, mainly for that wicked black and red interior ? - man that car looks good!
The Porsche just felt so much tighter to me, which I prefer. Ended up ordering a 4S CT as I will be using it for 3 years as my daily driver and we tend to use my car all the time, and to me this is probably the best compromise of the automotive world at the moment.
You really can’t go wrong with either, great cars both, but I was surprised how different they felt.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Swede-ish I haven't any issues with my R8 (yet?) sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I have had many Audis and outside of the usual Audi "sensor" issues and phantom engine faults I have not had anything but a positive experience in fit/finish and reliability.

@Roppe The 4S is the one I had as a loaner (I assume the 4CT is similar) and honestly I thought it was much better as a daily driver/fun car than the TTS. Great choice and I am sure it will be a blast.

I think its actually kind of impressive that the two companies manage to make two cars different enough from the same basis to stand on their own. In my opinion they are both successes and my experience is that the Porsche is more desirable and notable car for majority of the population due to the brand name and the looks.
Sponsored