f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Glad I settled with the 4S without PDCC.
What is wrong with PDCC, apart from the price.

I believe the ARB is effectively disconnected altogether by PDCC whilst there is no lateral g thereby reducing the single wheel rate significantly so I have so far selected it for the better ride as much as the less roll when cornering fast.
Sponsored

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Just about everyone on this forum wants to know if the backup camera view is better on the Audi, as well, so your impressions on that would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry I thought I answered. Honestly I think the image quality is a little better, but the overall funcitonality is very comparable. Is there something specific you would like to know?

IMO The steering is the the worst part of the RS and the best part of the Taycan.
How does the steering compare to the I-Pace? I-Pace steering is fantastic for me in Comfort Mode.
To me its mixed. IF I can have BOTH kinds of steering settable by mode then its great. But if I have to choose one, as much as all my cars range from very controlled to actually no assistance level I never really thought the overly tight and responsive steering in the TTS "fit" the car. The Audi one is more in line for a sedan that weights over 5000 pounds. If I can have only one in a car like this I'll go with the Audi version because that is what I want 80% of the time.

What is wrong with PDCC, apart from the price.

I believe the ARB is effectively disconnected altogether by PDCC whilst there is no lateral g thereby reducing the single wheel rate significantly so I have so far selected it for the better ride as much as the less roll when cornering fast.
I know this was not for me, but I'll give me answer. Its a little like the steering answer above. PDCC was amazing, it made the car rock solid. And that would be great if I was on a track all the time. But as a side effect it made the ride less like "glass" that is Audi. So if it could be turned on and off then fine, but I know that was not the case with the TTS.

So essentially it comes down to do you want a car that is almost a full track car (TTS/PDC/razor sharp steering etc), or do you want a luxury very fast sport sedan (Audi, different suspension tuning, lighter steering).

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Sorry I thought I answered. Honestly I think the image quality is a little better, but the overall funcitonality is very comparable. Is there something specific you would like to know?
Looks like it was my fault, so my bad. Is the aspect ratio as crunched in the Audi? I ask because my wife's A7 has a similar screen as the eTron GT and it has a slightly less distorted image than the Porsche. The biggest problem that people are citing for the Taycan is the extremely slimmed down image which makes it hard to judge distances in perpendicular parking spots, for example. A Toyota Corolla looks like a stretch limo! :CWL:

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How does the steering compare to the I-Pace? I-Pace steering is fantastic for me in Comfort Mode.
I don't notice much change in the I-Pace steering from mode to mode. To me the I-Pace steering feel is somewhere in the middle of the RS Etron and the Taycan. I have had no issues with the steering of the I-Pace, but I feel its neither fish nor fowl.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know this was not for me, but I'll give me answer. Its a little like the steering answer above. PDCC was amazing, it made the car rock solid. And that would be great if I was on a track all the time. But as a side effect it made the ride less like "glass" that is Audi. So if it could be turned on and off then fine, but I know that was not the case with the TTS.

So essentially it comes down to do you want a car that is almost a full track car (TTS/PDC/razor sharp steering etc), or do you want a luxury very fast sport sedan (Audi, different suspension tuning, lighter steering).
This is a surprise, so I will have to check into it. PDCC should give a better ride by disconnecting the ARBs whilst there is no lateral load. The whole point of it is to give a stable platform while cornering without increasing the base stiffness so if they have got this wrong I will change my specification!

I shall check with my friend who is a racing driver who is one of the brand ambassadors and has helped developing the chassis and whilst he is unlikely to know himself he will be able to put me in touch with an engineer who will.

When I test drove the E-Tron GT it felt bigger and more ponderous than the Taycan despite being the same size and weight so for roads around me the Audi is unsuitable. I only test drove the Cross Turismo and its ride was outstanding, maybe because of the extra 20mm ride height but that one didn't have PDCC.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is a surprise, so I will have to check into it. PDCC should give a better ride by disconnecting the ARBs whilst there is no lateral load. The whole point of it is to give a stable platform while cornering without increasing the base stiffness so if they have got this wrong I will change my specification!

I shall check with my friend who is a racing driver who is one of the brand ambassadors and has helped developing the chassis and whilst he is unlikely to know himself he will be able to put me in touch with an engineer who will.

When I test drove the E-Tron GT it felt bigger and more ponderous than the Taycan despite being the same size and weight so for roads around me the Audi is unsuitable. I only test drove the Cross Turismo and its ride was outstanding, maybe because of the extra 20mm ride height but that one didn't have PDCC.
The effect I am talking about it interesting: with the "no roll" body the car feels much more planted, BUT it also feels less relaxed. This is excellent for a track or for always driving in a spirited fashion. But that combined with the height etc makes for a less pleasant "daily driver" experience. And I say this as someone who drives an Alfa 4C, a McLaren, a Lotus, a BMW i8, and a 718 Spyder. So I am definitely NOT a fan of floaty of boats suspensions. In all the other cars the behaviour makes sense. In my mind in a large Sedan it doesn't. Its all about how the car feels.

And you may be absolutely correct in that the Cross Turismo or even the 4S may have a different ride, I am only comparing my experience with the Taycan Turbo S. I can't speak to the other variants.

What I have found pushing the RS Etron is that it DOES feel bigger than the Taycan as you said. But its deceiving. I *THINK* it is less capable, but every time I have pushed it on roads I know and have tested the Taycan on so far I have easily pushed it around difficult corners within a 2-3 mph of the Taycan before slight understeer kicked in. And I can't really compare fairly because I maxed the Taycan in the heat of summer and I have not driven the RS Etron at warmer than 55F so far on summer tires.

One last note: I am talking about RS Etron GT, I have not looked up what if any difference there are between that and the regular ETron GT In terms of suspension tuning (definitely the tires are 21" vs 20).

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I want to add another observation that has nothing to do with ride quality. For my personal tastes the Audi MMI, displays from quality, responsiveness or even graphic choices, and look and feel of the interior detailing, all feel more refined and inviting. This is entering purely the realm of opinion, and obviously the primary focus of Porsche is driving experience. As much as I loved the cleaner and more modern Taycan interior displays (honestly not big on having all the switches etc and never minded the Taycan climate controls) for me the Audi system works better. The curved driver display of the Taycan though is still a piece of art imho.

The one single thing alone that is a great relief for me is that the Audi MMI allows me to adjust the overall interior cockpit brightness while driving. There is a "feature" in the Taycan where the menus that contained the overall brightness (not the ambient lighting) was buried deep in layer and would gray out for "safety" while moving. Which meant if you are driving in a dark evening and need to adjust the lighting you literally have to stop somewhere to adjust. I thought that was a big oversight, specially as your eyes switch into night vision.

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And you may be absolutely correct in that the Cross Turismo or even the 4S may have a different ride, I am only comparing my experience with the Taycan Turbo S. I can't speak to the other variants.

One last note: I am talking about RS Etron GT, I have not looked up what if any difference there are between that and the regular ETron GT In terms of suspension tuning (definitely the tires are 21" vs 20).
The cars I test drove were an E-Tron GT RS Vorsprung, on which I liked the interior ergonomics but very much not the carbon fibre trim bits but found underwhelming to drive and a Taycan 4S cross turismo, which was much better to drive, particularly the steering and had a better ride. I don't like the lower touch screen and ergonomics of the Taycan though it looks neat.

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
I want to add another observation that has nothing to do with ride quality. For my personal tastes the Audi MMI, displays from quality, responsiveness or even graphic choices, and look and feel of the interior detailing, all feel more refined and inviting. This is entering purely the realm of opinion, and obviously the primary focus of Porsche is driving experience. As much as I loved the cleaner and more modern Taycan interior displays (honestly not big on having all the switches etc and never minded the Taycan climate controls) for me the Audi system works better. The curved driver display of the Taycan though is still a piece of art imho.

The one single thing alone that is a great relief for me is that the Audi MMI allows me to adjust the overall interior cockpit brightness while driving. There is a "feature" in the Taycan where the menus that contained the overall brightness (not the ambient lighting) was buried deep in layer and would gray out for "safety" while moving. Which meant if you are driving in a dark evening and need to adjust the lighting you literally have to stop somewhere to adjust. I thought that was a big oversight, specially as your eyes switch into night vision.
Could you point me in the direction of that menu setting for overall brightness? It’s driving me mad! Thanks

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
the EQS is still scheduled for next year and I thought other models would be subsequent to that.
You can order the EQS today. I found a few allocations with Jan/Feb 2022 production date recently, as I was considering it, but changed my mind after a test drive (perhaps I will consider the AMG model if it comes before my Taycan CT Turbo allocation becomes available).

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Could you point me in the direction of that menu setting for overall brightness? It’s driving me mad! Thanks
If you mean in the Taycan it used to take me a few tries to find it. I don't have the car anymore, but it was somewhere under settings->vehicle-> but then I don't remember where. It wasn't in the interior lighting I don't think, its wherever the display settings were?

On another note and before the memories of the Taycan TTS fade too much I wanted to share something. I have already shared about the tuning, accelerator curve and steering differences. So as I get more and more stick time with the RS Etron I am starting to come to a conclusion. In my opinion most of the differences in the feel of the two cars (the suspension, the weight and feel of the steering, the accelerator curve) do not actually translate to any difference in capability, rather to the "feel" to the car. I believe the only difference in actual performance was brought about from the active anti roll/chassis control that made the Taycan incredibly stable laterally (shockingly in fact). This obviously will help somewhat in keeping all the wheels better planted than the RS Etron around a curve. But I personally do not believe the other components made for a more capable car, rather one with a different feel.

I think in a strange way the RS ETron "hides" its true capability behind its feel.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
If you mean in the Taycan it used to take me a few tries to find it. I don't have the car anymore, but it was somewhere under settings->vehicle-> but then I don't remember where. It wasn't in the interior lighting I don't think, its wherever the display settings were?

On another note and before the memories of the Taycan TTS fade too much I wanted to share something. I have already shared about the tuning, accelerator curve and steering differences. So as I get more and more stick time with the RS Etron I am starting to come to a conclusion. In my opinion most of the differences in the feel of the two cars (the suspension, the weight and feel of the steering, the accelerator curve) do not actually translate to any difference in capability, rather to the "feel" to the car. I believe the only difference in actual performance was brought about from the active anti roll/chassis control that made the Taycan incredibly stable laterally (shockingly in fact). This obviously will help somewhat in keeping all the wheels better planted than the RS Etron around a curve. But I personally do not believe the other components made for a more capable car, rather one with a different feel.

I think in a strange way the RS ETron "hides" its true capability behind its feel.
I believe you have the CF roof. How would you compare it to the glass roof if your TTS when it comes to the interior space feel?

Also road noise while cruising. The RS and TTS both come standard with the insolated glass, but does the RS have more road or wind noise?

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe you have the CF roof. How would you compare it to the glass roof if your TTS when it comes to the interior space feel?

Also road noise while cruising. The RS and TTS both come standard with the insolated glass, but does the RS have more road or wind noise?
i never could see the panoramic roof as driver, so it really doesn’t make a visual difference. I can see from sitting in the back that it would feel very different for rear passengers. Strangely as much as I like panoramic roof look and feel on the I-Pace it didn’t matter as much in a sedan. As a driver I feel more “cocooned” without it if it makes sense.

i hear no wind noise in the ETron really (same as the Taycan), just like the Taycan I hear the giant tires (21”). Can’t directly compare as the TTS has all season but the Audi right now has summer performance and they tend to be louder.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I found some hard data to compare my impressions with. There is common data for Vairano Handling Course for the TTS and the RS Audi. TTS finishes the course in 1:15 and the Audi completes it in 1:17.6. So TTS is definitely slightly more capable which makes perfect sense. This can also be seen in the breaking distance for the two cars, 140 kph is 222 ft for TTS vs 231 ft Audi.

TTS is the more capable track car by a small but significant bit (if you are on a track) but for me these differences will never show up in aggressive daily driving.

Realistically on the track I'd take the McLaren 570, which does the same course in 1:12.7 (a bigger gap than the one in between the two cars). Or the 718 Spyder (1:14). Not to say its not amazing that either of these heavy EV sedans being in competitive range of track performance.

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag

Found it, thanks!
Sponsored