Transmission noise at 50mph / 80kph?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
My 4S has had a pulsing sound and mild vibration felt through the wheel and floor since new from ~38-45 mph. Its a like a hum that repeats every second.
That's not the issue/noise. I experienced zero vibration and/or pulsing sound.
Sponsored

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
@XLR82XS any updates on the replacement? Can you explain, what was necessary that they decide the noise is beyond standard?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@rs38 no explanation as to what the problem is. Porsche sent an entire replacement and the original will be shipped to them for evaluation. As of Monday (10/4) the unit was installed. I'm waiting to hear if the noise is gone. Here are photos of the original assembly:
Porsche Taycan Transmission noise at 50mph / 80kph? drive unit

Porsche Taycan Transmission noise at 50mph / 80kph? drive unit side

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Received my car back this weekend. NOISE GONE! Looks like the new motor/trans resolved the issue.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
meanwhile I also got my rear axle module replaced and the noise is also completely GONE!
I still cannot believe how intense I had to fight to convince the dealer, it's not the tires and beyond normal...:(
But happy now.

JonasOfNorway

First Name
Jonas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
meanwhile I also got my rear axle module replaced and the noise is also completely GONE!
I still cannot believe how intense I had to fight to convince the dealer, it's not the tires and beyond normal...:(
But happy now.
did you have original tires and wheels?

logic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-tron GT, BMW M4
Country flag
My 4S has had a pulsing sound and mild vibration felt through the wheel and floor since new from ~38-45 mph. Its a like a hum that repeats every second.
Interesting. Same here, ... on an Audi E-tron GT. Same speed (65-70km/h), minor humming noise every second. I don't feel any vibrations tho, probably Audi's numb steering feel at work, haha.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Interesting. Same here, ... on an Audi E-tron GT. Same speed (65-70km/h), minor humming noise every second. I don't feel any vibrations tho, probably Audi's numb steering feel at work, haha.
I went from summer to all season tires recently and the vibration became much less noticeable, but it's still there.

Car goes in Monday, I'm tired of dealing with it and convinced it's not right. I'll provide updates once I have them.

logic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-tron GT, BMW M4
Country flag
I went from summer to all season tires recently and the vibration became much less noticeable, but it's still there.

Car goes in Monday, I'm tired of dealing with it and convinced it's not right. I'll provide updates once I have them.
Sounds like an imbalance somewhere in the drivetrain, or it could also be the front motor vs rear motor slightly out of sync. ?‍♂
My car also had it since day 1, but I'm still in the honeymoon phase and definitely not ready for this (yet). Meanwhile, I will continu speeding. :giggle: All the best for this monday!

EDIT: Found this guy on the forums:

I have a rhythmic humming from front motor when in Range Mode. It is most noticeable between 38 and 42 MPH. My dealer says it is normal for 4 S. Their demo Turbo S doesn't make the noise but has a different inverter. My car has stock 19 wheels with all season tires.

Last edited:

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Sounds like an imbalance somewhere in the drivetrain, or it could also be the front motor vs rear motor slightly out of sync. ?‍♂
My car also had it since day 1, but I'm still in the honeymoon phase and definitely not ready for this (yet). Meanwhile, I will continu speeding. :giggle: All the best for this monday!

EDIT: Found this guy on the forums:
Yep, also wasn't ready to let go initially, but after 6 months of "dealing" with it, I've had enough.

My fear is if it does require a full drive unit replacemnt what the lead time will be and how long I'll be without the car. We shall see.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yep, also wasn't ready to let go initially, but after 6 months of "dealing" with it, I've had enough.

My fear is if it does require a full drive unit replacemnt what the lead time will be and how long I'll be without the car. We shall see.
Mine was ~8 weeks all in. Diagnosis, back and forth with PCNA & Germany, superseded design, freight, labor. If a drive unit was pulled from the line it would have been faster turnaround.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Mine was ~8 weeks all in. Diagnosis, back and forth with PCNA & Germany, superseded design, freight, labor. If a drive unit was pulled from the line it would have been faster turnaround.
I can deal with 8 weeks. I guess first steps are diagnosis though... more to come.

EVer

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3
Country flag
Just got my RWD Taycan. I hear a high pitched whine between 68-80 mph, only in sport mode. Interestingly if I then quickly shift to normal mode and back to sport there’s no noise. Also the noise is there only the first time I accelerate in to that range from a stop. If I’m slowing down below 68 and then back up, there’s no noise. Makes sense it’s the first gear only? Damn I’m going to have to call the dealer, sigh.​

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
I'm curious about you and others who have gone through such a long wait time without their car - what sort of compensation are you happy with from Porsche/dealer?

After all, if they can't provide an identical (or better) loaner, I imagine I'd be quite unhappy so demanding monetary compensation from PCNA seems not far-fetched for at least the accrued depreciation and possibly any car payments you may have. Not sure what that'd be like if you bought cash....
Sponsored