JonasOfNorway

First Name
Jonas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Just got my RWD Taycan. I hear a high pitched whine between 68-80 mph, only in sport mode. Interestingly if I then quickly shift to normal mode and back to sport there’s no noise. Also the noise is there only the first time I accelerate in to that range from a stop. If I’m slowing down below 68 and then back up, there’s no noise. Makes sense it’s the first gear only? Damn I’m going to have to call the dealer, sigh.​
The case you are describing is exactly how to get the car in and out of first gear. Congratz/condolences you have the highspeed first gear whine.

Off to the dealer you go :)
pleas report back on the outcome!
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Just got my RWD Taycan. I hear a high pitched whine between 68-80 mph, only in sport mode. Interestingly if I then quickly shift to normal mode and back to sport there’s no noise. Also the noise is there only the first time I accelerate in to that range from a stop. If I’m slowing down below 68 and then back up, there’s no noise. Makes sense it’s the first gear only? Damn I’m going to have to call the dealer, sigh.​
Sounds the issue I had. From info I received there was a design change sparked by my case. As stated in previous post, the replacement drive unit was NOT pulled off the assembly line. Porsche advised my original unit is going back/is back in Germany for analysis.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
1 week at the dealer today. They have acknowledged that my vibration/pulsing from 40-45mph is not normal. Next step is to have "engineering" (they had some acronym I can't remember) do their assessment of what's needed to repair it. More to come...

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Looks like I'm getting a new front drive unit, just awaiting the final sign off's.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looks like I'm getting a new front drive unit, just awaiting the final sign off's.
I'm not the only one now. Porsche advised me that my reporting a problem and their diagnostic back and forth with PCNA and Germany was a catalyst for drive unit changes.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
I'm not the only one now. Porsche advised me that my reporting a problem and their diagnostic back and forth with PCNA and Germany was a catalyst for drive unit changes.
I knew from day one with the car that this is what it needed, but was unsure until today if anything would get done.

In my last convo with the service advisor a few days ago, engineering pushed back saying some vibration is "normal" in a 4wd Taycan.

Luckily, my service adivsor and the techs kept driving the car and comparing to other 4S they had. The more they drove it, the more they understood my frustration that it was beyond "normal".

Seems they were able to push hard enough to get the replacement done, so it definitly helps to have a good service team. I've had poor experiences at other dealers and I'm sure they would have just handed the car back to me saying it's "normal".

logic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-tron GT, BMW M4
Country flag
Luckily, my service adivsor and the techs kept driving the car and comparing to other 4S they had. The more they drove it, the more they understood my frustration that it was beyond "normal".
Thanks for the update @smohr33 !

MConte05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4. GTS ST inbound
Country flag
Can anyone tell me if this is similar to the noise they heard?

My whine starts at 35mph, gets loud, then fades off after 45mph and then nice silent running. The local dealer just shugged and said "sounds normal" but that there is no other Taycans on the lot they can compare to.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The fading your experiencing after 45mph is most likeyl because the transmission is shifting into second gear. My first gear whine is still apparent even with a replacement drive unit. I'm not happy. :mad:

JonasOfNorway

First Name
Jonas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Can anyone tell me if this is similar to the noise they heard?

My whine starts at 35mph, gets loud, then fades off after 45mph and then nice silent running. The local dealer just shugged and said "sounds normal" but that there is no other Taycans on the lot they can compare to.
Did you have sport sound on when you made the clip? Was the car mode (not dampers) in sport or sport +?

MConte05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Of course don't have sport sound on. This is normal mode at normal ride height, not sport or sport+

offplan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S , bicycle , my own feet
Country flag
I have vibration between 65-70km, it can be felt in the steering wheel and footwell of the passenger seat. The service center said “look it’s in all the cars” , I tried to explain to him that it’s not normal and brushed me off. I’m going to contact PORSCHE MENA to get a proper response for it as it’s now far more noticeable

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Listening with earphones, it doesn't sound abnormal to me.

MConte05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Listening with earphones, it doesn't sound abnormal to me.
Hmm, time for me to try and setup a soundproofing project then.... The Rivian and M3P are dead silent at these speeds, really surprises me if this is normal for Porsche.
Sponsored