Transmission noise at 50mph / 80kph?

swhsv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
(2021 Taycan 4S w Sport Chrono; 5300 mi)
I don’t know if this is something that has always been there and I’m just starting to notice it, or if it’s something that developed recently…. When I’m driving in “Sport” or “Sport Plus” mode, I’m hearing a droning noise at the back axle starting at about 50mph / 80kph and increasing in volume from there… then stops pretty abruptly around 58-60mph. I’m guessing that maybe the transmission is still in 1st gear at that point and the point where the noise stops is when it has upshifted. Is this typical or should I make an appointment to have it checked?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sabreliner

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan 4S, '91 911 C4
Country flag
(2021 Taycan 4S w Sport Chrono; 5300 mi)
I don’t know if this is something that has always been there and I’m just starting to notice it, or if it’s something that developed recently…. When I’m driving in “Sport” or “Sport Plus” mode, I’m hearing a droning noise at the back axle starting at about 50mph / 80kph and increasing in volume from there… then stops pretty abruptly around 58-60mph. I’m guessing that maybe the transmission is still in 1st gear at that point and the point where the noise stops is when it has upshifted. Is this typical or should I make an appointment to have it checked?
Does it make the noise if you toggle the regen? I have noticed the same when in Sport mode.

OP
OP

swhsv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for posting those videos - that does sound like the noise I hear. Doesn’t seem to be linked to recuperation mode or “Electric sport sound” setting for me, nor does it seem to happen in “normal” drive mode in my case. I don’t necessarily mind it because it brings a bit of ICE nostalgia - though on a long drive it could be tiresome. My main concern is whether it’s a symptom of a problem.

Last edited:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
This is exactly what my RWD is in the shop for now. 2021MY and started around ~800 miles. Sport & sport+ there is an abnormal louder than normal noise coming from the trans and/or motor. The noise changes pitch and is quieter when shifting into second around 70-80mph.

Fluid has been drained for inspection by 2 engineers and field rep. and as of today I am waiting to hear back from Porsche.

JonasOfNorway

First Name
Jonas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Electric engines has/had a trouble with keeping very high rpms and still give a lot of hp/torque. This was until tesla revealed the plaid, which uses a carbon sleve around the stator, amongst other things, to deal with the forces of spinning the engine at veeery high rpms.

Usually, you would choose a fixed gearing for you electric motor when you connect it to the wheels. A low ratio would give you better response in low speed, and better 0-60 for instance. But a higher gearing will give you a higher top speed, and better consumption (usually).

porsche decided they wanted both and for the first time, as far as i know, introduced a gearbox. You can read more about this here:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/part-3-whats-so-great-porsche-taycans-2-speed-ev-mathiazhagan

This is a technical walktrough of the unit by people that sell this information to other manafacturers (so quite detailed, 3 parts).

The sound you are hearing comes from the first of the two gears. The first gear is an almost straight cut gear, just like you reverse gear in normal cars. This makes more sound then a more common helical gear. If you select sport or sport+ drive mode (not suspension) the car will start in 1 gear, and keep you there untill 60-90kmh/h. An algorithm of your current drivestyle decides when second gear is activated. If i have been doing some crazy stuff i usually get second gear in the high 80’s (km/h) and as soon as 65km/h when cruising.

Normal and range mode will start you in second gear untill you basicly flore it (and under a certain speed ofcourse).

It is reported by some users that their cars are making a noticable gear sound in 1 gear in higher speeds. Mine make it from 80km/h to about 90km/h. It is also more noticeable when engine breaking/regen at the same speed. I have never seen any information from porsche if they look into this sound when people report it, or if its expected/ok/can-occur.

Reactions: B61

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
According to Porsche it is not normal (as I suspected) and there has been extensive diagnostics performed by my dealer as well as many calls with PCNA/Germany.

Reactions: B61

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
I drove quite a lot Taycans and other BEV but the sound recording above from my car are much louder than on any other car. Even if I am in the 2. gear the noise is annoying for some speed ranges. I am pretty sure it depends and from car to car the tolerances are off normal.
E.g. the RWD Taycan was the most silent one, it was very hard to tell when it shifts, in my car it's more like in a Cup Porsche, but they told me the culprit are my tires ?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Spoke to Porsche and they are replacing the drive unit/transmission. Fingers crossed the noise is resolved! ?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
how did they change their opinion from "normal" to "will be replaced"?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
how did they change their opinion from "normal" to "will be replaced"?
I said it was NOT normal. Myself, service manager, tech, 2 engineers, field rep., Germany all agree.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
My 4S has had a pulsing sound and mild vibration felt through the wheel and floor since new from ~38-45 mph. Its a like a hum that repeats every second.

Not sure if it's a transmission or motor problem. I've been "living with it" as I really don't want the car out of service for a long time, but I suspect a drive unit replacement is in my future. Let us know how long yours takes.
Sponsored