Transmission Oil

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Has any body had their transmission serviced for a fluid change? It's not part of the recommended service, but I'm not a believer of life time oils. I can tell from a parts diagram that there are fill and drain plugs. I'm also interested if the coolant service interval.
Sponsored

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
This sounds like a good way to void your warranty...... I wouldn't be surprised if you cant even refill it.

OP
OP
TaycanCook

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
This sounds like a good way to void your warranty...... I wouldn't be surprised if you cant even refill it.
I'm taking it that you're serious about this statement.

There are drain and fill plugs from what I can tell from the parts diagram. With respect to voiding your warranty, if I did a faulty service, i.e. I forgot to put in the oil that I drained, used the wrong oil, etc, that would be grounds for voiding your warranty.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I'm following the maintenance guide on this. Doubtful anyone here replaced drive unit fluids since the car has been on sale ~2 years.

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
I think you need to do some fundamental engineering research on EV drivetrains to qualify your core beliefs.....start here
https://www.greencarfuture.com/electric/do-evs-need-transmission-fluid
This was more the point I was driving at...... EV gearbox does not necessarily equate to conventional ICE manual or automatic transmission, ergo normal "overly cautious" maintenance may be causing more harm than good. I used to hear stories of BMW owners cracking open and draining automatic transmissions to service with fluid and filter, and no sooner would you do that but the disturbance to the unit would cause it start acting up.
My point was simply- find out Porsche's recommendation of fluid change on the gearbox, and follow that religiously, no more no less.

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
...Anyway, as an avid DIYer, I'm very much interested to hear the answer to the OP question. I subscribe to the " follow intervals, but also common sense" camp. There is nothing terribly EV or ICE -specific in diffs or transmissions - mechanical gears in oil bath +- dual clutch. For the Taycan, I'd be interested to see a Blackstone report after a tranny oil change to see how much metal the box is shedding.

And as far as warranty is concerned, in the US we have legislation specifically prohibiting manufacturers from attaching warranty coverage to service work provider or parts (unless the manufacturer provides said work for free). See this interpretation of the MM law, specifically the section on Prohibitive Tying: https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-16/chapter-I/subchapter-G/part-700/section-700.10

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
...Anyway, as an avid DIYer, I'm very much interested to hear the answer to the OP question. I subscribe to the " follow intervals, but also common sense" camp. There is nothing terribly EV or ICE -specific in diffs or transmissions - mechanical gears in oil bath +- dual clutch. For the Taycan, I'd be interested to see a Blackstone report after a tranny oil change to see how much metal the box is shedding.

And as far as warranty is concerned, in the US we have legislation specifically prohibiting manufacturers from attaching warranty coverage to service work provider or parts (unless the manufacturer provides said work for free). See this interpretation of the MM law, specifically the section on Prohibitive Tying: https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-16/chapter-I/subchapter-G/part-700/section-700.10
"This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by “unauthorized” articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused."

My understanding of the above, from your link, is that if you perform an unauthorized service, changing the transmission fluid when the service is not recommended/required you may well void your warranty if anything bad happens. Isn't the first recommended service at 2 years or 20k miles?

Personally, I wouldn't tempt fate, but that is an individual decision.

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
"This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by “unauthorized” articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused."

My understanding of the above, from your link, is that if you perform an unauthorized service, changing the transmission fluid when the service is not recommended/required you may well void your warranty if anything bad happens. Isn't the first recommended service at 2 years or 20k miles?

Personally, I wouldn't tempt fate, but that is an individual decision.
This goes without saying - yes. If you botch the job and end up damaging the vehicle or other components, then they can deny warranty coverage. That would be a fraudulent claim as well.

Maybe I'm not an ordinary pcar owner, but I've had my 997.2 911 TT 6-speed for over 7 years, and have done all oil changes myself (including diff, tranny, AWD controller), done spark plugs, exhaust swap and shifter + cables change, drive belt change, tranny mount upgrades, brake fluid flush, brake rotors/pads change, center-lock wheel maintenance(greasing). I've consulted my dealer (Porsche Bellevue) through all that, even brought them to inspect my filter (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/944529-how-sparkly-is-your-oil-filter-2.html)

Through all that, I've had no trouble getting them to cover an oil leak in the front diff (took the diff out to replace o-ring, covered under CPO) as well as investigating random noises that I wasn't sure if they sound right.

I'd have absolutely 0 concerns about doing fluids or brakes or any other "ordinary car" items on the taycan.

Last edited:

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
What specifically?
Nothing specific. Just generally. I get the sense that you are not well informed on EV gearbox design - although I could be wrong of-course.

Personal note: I've spent the past 30 years in product design (automotive, aerospace, space, pharma, water) and struggle a little with second guessing without a little upfront education.

Not looking to start a fight, but just think that it could be helpful to do a little background reading before diving in. Every hour of research will pay off several hours in practical applicaiton.

OP
OP
TaycanCook

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
You are correct, I'm not familiar with EV gearbox design. I'm only looking at the taycan specific tranny and it's basic principles do not look far off from traditional ice tranny.
Sponsored