mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
Hey, all. My family is stopping for 5 days in Switzerland on our way to South Africa this Summer. We’re planning a day in Zurich and then 4 days in Zermatt. Since this forum is far more international than any other outlet I have or am active in, I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions for things to do in Zurich or Zermatt. Obviously, exploring Matterhorn and a chocolate tour or 4.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
in zermatt in summer there isn't that much to do other than hiking trips near the matterhorn. there is a train that goes up to a peak close by and you could trek back down to zermatt.

OP
OP
mcdermottm

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
in zermatt in summer there isn't that much to do other than hiking trips near the matterhorn. there is a train that goes up to a peak close by and you could trek back down to zermatt.
I saw that train and it looks worth the trip. We don’t need a whole lot to do because we’re using the time in Switzerland to adjust to the time difference before going to South Africa and Mozambique for 2 weeks. Just going to relax and take in the sights of the Alps. I thought about more time in Zurich but wanted to get out into a village…. Though, Zermatt looks somewhat touristy, which isn’t all bad.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I saw that train and it looks worth the trip. We don’t need a whole lot to do because we’re using the time in Switzerland to adjust to the time difference before going to South Africa and Mozambique for 2 weeks. Just going to relax and take in the sights of the Alps. I thought about more time in Zurich but wanted to get out into a village…. Though, Zermatt looks somewhat touristy, which isn’t all bad.
you're correct, zermatt is a touristy town. but don't let that put you off. Zurich is a bit dull, getting out to a place like zermatt would be good for you.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have never been to Zermatt. Just make sure things are open in summer. We went hiking in Courchevel in the summer and most shops and restaurants were closed. Deserted town. Last year we went to Flims / Laax and everything was open and prepared for summer tourists.

Luzern is also a nice little city to stay in stead of Zurich. And you could drive to Interlaken if you rent a car. Visit the Jung frau Joch by train (expensive and touristic but special). Many tourists buying a Rolex above 3000 meters altitude. Don’t know why you would buy it there. And you can also visit Thun and Bern.

Kortin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Currently thinking about a trip to Zurich. It's such a lively city with so much to offer. As for travel apps, I highly recommend TripAdvisor for finding top-rated attractions, restaurants, and accommodations. Also, check MakeMyTrip reviews. It's a great way to plan your itinerary. Additionally, Google Maps is invaluable for navigation, especially when exploring new cities. Don't forget to download offline maps for Zurich before you go.
Sponsored

Last edited: