Siev

First Name
Bailey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Any idea whether Porsche plan to give the Taycan three electric motors and ditch the 2 speed gearbox to reduce weight in the future? That way it would be significantly quicker and on par with the Model S Plaid in terms of acceleration and top end. It would also highly benefit torque vectoring and track performance too.

I assume that’s wishful thinking as Porsche wouldn’t want a family sedan to outshine their 911’s and GT cars.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Knowing life, tri-motor Taycan will be announced the day after my Taycan Turbo will be delivered, which I'm told to expect by end of Q2 next year.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
The Audi E-Tron S has a tri motor, but the E-Tron GT has the the 2 speed transmission.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Any idea whether Porsche plan to give the Taycan three electric motors and ditch the 2 speed gearbox to reduce weight in the future? That way it would be significantly quicker and on par with the Model S Plaid in terms of acceleration and top end. It would also highly benefit torque vectoring and track performance too.

I assume that’s wishful thinking as Porsche wouldn’t want a family sedan to outshine their 911’s and GT cars.
For what it's worth, Porsche/VWG now has an ownership interest in Rimac and it is expected that Rimac tech will eventually find its way into Porsches and other buggies made by VWG. According to one of the EV podcasts (Inside EVs I think) I heard on the subject of Rimac/Porsche, this will mean the end of the two speed gear box for Porsche. Hopefully it will also mean the beginning of 1000+ hp in 911's!

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
They aren’t going to make a Taycan that’s faster than a 911.
This is true and the 911 isn't going to be a 1000hp drag strip car, so where does that leave the Taycan?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Porsche never was the drag strip 0-60 brand anyway. Folks aren’t spending $120k+ on a C2S thinking they are the fastest.

You buy a Porsche based on how it makes you feel, not some internet bench racing spec sheet. Pretty much every Mustang GT was probably quicker than either of my R8’s.

Porsche also has way more configurability in the US than other makes.

When every brand has lots of EVs, the Taycan will go back to appealing to the traditional Porsche customer, who is deciding between a Taycan, Cayenne or Panamera (and even some 911 buyers!) and not between the Taycan and some other model from another brand.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
My guess is the Taycan will eventually end up with a tri-motor configuration (possibly even a quad-motor setup). I agree with the other comments that they will always hold back the Taycan in terms of track performance compared to the top spec 911s, at least as long as possible. At some point 911s will lose out to EVs, but this could be another decade away. Weight and battery cooling need to come a long way.

Rimac tech will probably make its why into the Taycan in the next one or two generations, but my guess is we will see a new Porsche hypercar that is completely based on Rimac technology. Think 918 Spyder EV.

The Porsche EV that interests me the most is a Boxster/Cayman EV equivalent. As much as I love my Taycan, I would trade it in for a Macan EV paired with a Boxster/Cayman EV. It would probably be a wash in price compared to my Turbo S.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They aren’t going to make a Taycan that’s faster than a 911.
uhm …. It already is in a line and has more torque and more hp. The marketplace isn’t going to let them sandbag their EV offerings too much to protect their classic offerings. The taycan is slower around a track due to weight, and that’s a problem for everyone in the EV space.

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag