Trip Report: Chicago -> Seattle (~2400 Miles, 4 days)

dewber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Subaru Crosstrek, ‘21 Taycan RWD
Country flag
After you wonderful folks convinced me to buy a 2021 RWD out of state instead of waiting for a 2022 to show up (backstory), and after a few weeks of delays due to transport arrangements + the stop sale recall, I decided to go pick up the car myself from Porsche Downtown Chicago and drive it back home to Seattle, WA. Truly a once in a lifetime experience (well, until the next car... ;) ) Got back safe a few days ago.

To sum up the trip: this is, by a large margin, the best car I've ever had the pleasure of driving. Yes, there are a few rough edges (mostly software issues). But I'm super happy with my purchase and made some unforgettable memories with my friend + cousin who both joined me for parts of the trip.

Highlights/Thoughts:
  • Range and EA plug-and-play charging was great. I was nervous after seeing reports of issues on this forum but the 350KW stations worked every single time except for:
    • Kum & Go in Iowa - that one I had to swipe card and pay $20
    • T & T in Huntington, OR - the 350KW stations were broken, and I had to use the 150KW.
    • But there was never a location where I couldn't get a charge, which is the most important part.
  • Super happy with my options.
    • Performance Battery and Premium Package reduced range anxiety and made this super comfortable, and are must haves for me.
    • Electric Sport Sound was cool for 30min then turned off for the rest of the trip
    • Heated steering wheel was nice especially since it got colder in last few days
    • Other stuff was mostly cosmetic but I think my car is beautiful ;)
    • I didn't have any other "performance" options - no PASM, no RAS, etc. and I don't feel like I missed out on anything.
  • I am still using the car in "Guest" Mode/can't login to PCM. Didn't really bother me as charging worked but I'm still unable to login even though my Porsche ID is setup and shows the car connected to my account. Will try some things I've seen on the forum, I think I'll probably be able to get it resolved soon.
  • Cool stops:
    • Also listed below (see "notes"), but these were cool places to eat/stop:
      • Phat Jacks BBQ Lincoln NE
      • Scooter's Coffee Ogallala NE
      • Colorado National Monument Grand Junction CO
      • The Rockslide Brewery and Restaurant Grand Junction CO
      • Green River Coffee Green River UT
      • Costa Vida (Mexican Food) Perry UT
      • Some Bagels and Gelato Richland WA

Route:
Here's a rough sketch of the route we followed. We didn't stop at every single charging station on this, but rather marked them as backups. We chose the southern route, skipping the Dakotas, Montana and Wyoming because of charger availability - South Dakota in particular is pretty empty of chargers.

Porsche Taycan Trip Report: Chicago -> Seattle (~2400 Miles, 4 days) Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 10.56.21 AM

We divided the trip up into four legs:

Leg 1: Downtown Chicago -> Grand Island, Nebraska
Total: ~625 miles, 9.5h on the road.

Charging StopDistance CoveredNotes
Casey's General Store
100 E Bestor Dr, Geneseo, Illinois, 61254, US
152 MilesOn the first stop, couldn't figure out how to connect the CCS plug to the car but realized I didn't push it in hard/far enough ?

Also tried the famous Casey's breakfast pizza!
Kum & Go
3105 Grand Prairie Parkway, Waukee, Iowa, 50263, US
206 MilesNo problems with range, finished up with a 40 mile buffer. Ended up having to swipe credit card to charge here, it was the only time EA plug and play didn't work.
Casey’s General Store
110 NW 20th Street, Lincoln, Nebraska, 68528, US
178 MilesAfter charging, stopped at Phat Jack's BBQ for dinner - really good!
Quality Inn Grand Island
7838 S Hwy 281 Grand Island, NE 68803 United States
87 MilesSuper convenient EA chargers right in front of the hotel, got an almost full charge before going to bed for the night.

Also, free breakfast included - scrambled eggs, pancakes, and more.

Leg 2: Grand Island, NE -> Grand Junction, Colorado
Total: ~675 Miles, 10h on the road (9.5 + 0.5h for a scenic detour at the end)

Walmart Supercenter
201 PONY EXPRESS LANE, Ogallala, Nebraska, 69153, US
186 MilesUncrowded highway + flat roads + no rain = got to push the pace a little bit ?

Scooter's Coffee across the street makes a good latte!
Walmart Supercenter
1300 Barlow Rd, Fort Morgan, CO 80701
130 Miles
Colorado Mills Mall - Black Hawk
14500 W. Colfax Ave, Lakewood, Colorado, 80401, US
90 MilesGot here around noonish, and every single EA stall was taken. We drove down the road to a Greenlots station at the local Nissan dealership but were unable to connect, so we ended up going back to the mall after ~20 min and magically all the cars that were there previously were gone.

There is a large bank of Tesla superchargers next to the EA ones - Colorado seemed like the most EV-friendly state that we visited.

Ended up charging to 99% because we weren't sure how range would be affected by the mountains. In the meantime, we got lunch at the mall Panera and watched the final 10 laps of the 2021 F1 US Grand Prix.
Target
110 W. Meadows Dr., Glenwood Springs, Colorado, 81601, US
150 MilesThe drive from Denver up to Glenwood Springs was one of the most enjoyable sections of road - you navigate through the mountains and can see several ski resorts, small mining towns and in general is just a cool vibe. It helped that the weather was perfect (clear sky, 60s) - driving in the snow/winter probably would have been much scarier.

Glenwood Springs itself has a cute downtown area and a hot-springs-powered public swimming pool. We didn't stop since we wanted to make it to the monument before sunset but worth a look.
Detour - Colorado National Monument Grand Junction
https://goo.gl/maps/7ACmEeWRqykgPj2L9
103 MilesWe made good time so decided to visit the Colorado National Monument. Super fun zig-zag drive up to the visitor center, made it just as the sun went down and was able to get a really cool view of Grand Junction, and some cool nighttime shots of the car.
SpringHill Suites
236 Main St, Grand Junction, CO 81501

Before bed - charged at Sam's Club EA chargers 5 min away
https://goo.gl/maps/utvvpp7NforkfRNDA
20 MilesWent to The Rockslide Brewery and Restaurant for dinner - recommend the Ahi Tacos, Prosciutto and Shrimp pasta and their in-house beers.

A ChargePoint charger is available in the hotel's parking lot. I didn't want to pay/wait so we ended up driving to Sam's club for the high speed EA chargers and got a Sonic Blast across the street for dessert ?

When we were returning from Sonic, I saw the owner of a Chevy Bolt (charging at one of the other EA stalls) looking at the car. Seemed super curious as I saw him playing with the Porsche configurator on his phone after we got back :)

Leg 3: Grand Junction, Colorado -> Richland, WA
Total: ~925 Miles, 14.5h on the road. This was a long day. If you have the time I'd recommend stopping in Boise instead (a more reasonable 600Mi/9h) but I had to push to get back for a half day of work the next day.

Green River Coffee
25 East Main Street, Green River, Utah, 84525, US
100 MilesSuper cool stop - feels like you're passing through the town from Cars off Route 66. Coffee is really good.

A random dog (probably one of the Coffee shop's employees') passed by and sniffed the front of the car before going back inside.
Walmart Supercenter
1206 N. Canyon Creek Pkwy, Spanish Fork, Utah, 84660, US
130 MilesStopped here because I didn't want to deal with downtown Salt Lake city traffic. I dropped my first co-driver at SLC airport and picked up my second co-driver.
Walmart Supercenter
1200 S. Commerce Way, Perry, Utah, 84302, US
107 MilesCosta Vida across the street had AMAZING tacos. We were shocked to find such good tacos in Utah.
Sinclair Stinker Store
326 ID 24, Heyburn, Idaho, 83336, US
125 Miles
Walmart Supercenter
2745 American Legion Blvd, Mountain Home, ID 83647
116 MilesNot a ton to see in southern Idaho. The original plan was to stop and stay the night in Boise, but there was a shooting at the local mall + we wanted to push to reduce driving time the next day, so we drove straight through Boise.
T & T Country Store
40 WASHINGTON STREET W., Huntington, Oregon, 97907, US
126 MilesSPOOKY - station is ~15min off the highway, in the small town of Huntington. Sun had gone down at this point so we were driving in pitch dark for this.

There were 4 EA chargers at the store but only 1 was operational - two were off, and I couldn't connect to the 350KW station. I was able to get connected to the single 150KW station but this was definitely a moment of nervousness. Fortunately we still had a pretty full battery from the previous stop and charged at ~110KW so it didn't take super long, but don't get stuck here on nearly empty if you can help it.

Folks at the store were nice, nice variety of snacks and groceries and there's a small burger place next door. Didn't eat there though.
Space Age Fuel
77522 OR-207, Hermiston, OR 97838
165 MilesBig truck stop, with a huge store selling all sorts of snacks, drinks, and massive donuts.

On the approach to this it was raining quite heavily and I was thankful for the Taycan's weight/grip. About 10 min away from Space Age you come down a pretty steep hill into the valley, and as I was doing that, two 18-wheelers about 1/4 mile ahead of me collided and slid off the road. Fortunately they didn't roll over or block everything, and I saw both drivers out of their trucks inspecting the damage but definitely unnerving.
Stayed at
Courtyard Marriott Richland
480 Columbia Point Dr, Richland, WA 99352
50 MilesAfter 14+ hours in the car we were super glad to have a bed. Columbia Point (little dock/bay behind the hotel) is really pretty, popular summer destination in WA.

Leg 4: Richland, WA -> Seattle, WA
Total: 210 Miles, 4h. Piece of cake after the day before. We slept in.
Taco Bell Ellensburg
1406 Canyon Rd, Ellensburg, WA 98926
100 MilesBefore departing, we got bagels at Some Bagels and Gelato in Richland - these we SO GOOD, like true NYC/east coast style. Shockingly good. They also sell Gelato, but didn't opt for that at 9am.

I recommend taking the backroad route (SR 240 and 243 following the Columbia river) - you get to see a bunch of Washington fruit farms, vineyards and dams. Very scenic.

Charging station is behind a super modern Taco Bell.
Finish - Seattle, WA110 MilesStarted raining as we got into the Snoqualmie pass area, but stayed warm enough so that we weren't worried about icy roads. Somewhat mountainous - lots of pretty Washington foliage and evergreens.

Photos:

At the dealer:

Porsche Taycan Trip Report: Chicago -> Seattle (~2400 Miles, 4 days) IMG_4995

Porsche Taycan Trip Report: Chicago -> Seattle (~2400 Miles, 4 days) PXL_20211023_144851928.MP

On the road
Porsche Taycan Trip Report: Chicago -> Seattle (~2400 Miles, 4 days) PXL_20211023_210729815.MP

Porsche Taycan Trip Report: Chicago -> Seattle (~2400 Miles, 4 days) IMG_5019

Porsche Taycan Trip Report: Chicago -> Seattle (~2400 Miles, 4 days) IMG_5061

Porsche Taycan Trip Report: Chicago -> Seattle (~2400 Miles, 4 days) IMG_5085

Porsche Taycan Trip Report: Chicago -> Seattle (~2400 Miles, 4 days) IMG_5052

Porsche Taycan Trip Report: Chicago -> Seattle (~2400 Miles, 4 days) IMG_5079

At home!
Porsche Taycan Trip Report: Chicago -> Seattle (~2400 Miles, 4 days) IMG_5148

Porsche Taycan Trip Report: Chicago -> Seattle (~2400 Miles, 4 days) PXL_20211024_120526473

NOLAStorm

First Name
Shaquita
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Panny 4S E Hybrid, 2022 Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Great post. Beautiful car!

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
Great stuff. Amazing journey. I felt like I was watching the YouTube video as I was reading along. Enjoy it. I bought my Taycan from a Porsche dealer in Indianapolis and seriously considered flying there and driving it back to NJ (which would have been a walk in the park for you) but I chickened out and opted for a transport company to bring it to me, with this being my first EV and worried about the charge stops and also not wanting to put on so many miles so soon.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
After you wonderful folks convinced me to buy a 2021 RWD out of state instead of waiting for a 2022 to show up (backstory), and after a few weeks of delays due to transport arrangements + the stop sale recall, I decided to go pick up the car myself from Porsche Downtown Chicago and drive it back home to Seattle, WA. Truly a once in a lifetime experience (well, until the next car... ;) ) Got back safe a few days ago.

To sum up the trip: this is, by a large margin, the best car I've ever had the pleasure of driving. Yes, there are a few rough edges (mostly software issues). But I'm super happy with my purchase and made some unforgettable memories with my friend + cousin who both joined me for parts of the trip.

Highlights/Thoughts:
  • Range and EA plug-and-play charging was great. I was nervous after seeing reports of issues on this forum but the 350KW stations worked every single time except for:
    • T & T in Huntington, OR - the 350KW stations were broken, and I had to use the 150KW.
    • But there was never a location where I couldn't get a charge, which is the most important part.
    • Performance Battery and Premium Package reduced range anxiety and made this super comfortable, and are must haves for me.
    • Electric Sport Sound was cool for 30min then turned off for the rest of the trip
    • Heated steering wheel was nice especially since it got colder in last few days
    • I didn't have any other "performance" options - no PASM, no RAS, etc. and I don't feel like I missed out on anything.
  • I am still using the car in "Guest" Mode/can't login to PCM. Didn't really bother me as charging worked but I'm still unable to login even though my Porsche ID is setup and shows the car connected to my account. Will try some things I've seen on the forum, I think I'll probably be able to get it resolved soon.
  • Cool stops:

Route:
Here's a rough sketch of the route we followed. We didn't stop at every single charging station on this, but rather marked them as backups. We chose the southern route, skipping the Dakotas, Montana and Wyoming because of charger availability - South Dakota in particular is pretty empty of chargers.

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 10.56.21 AM.png

Casey's General Store
152 MilesOn the first stop, couldn't figure out how to connect the CCS plug to the car but realized I didn't push it in hard/far enough ?

Kum & Go
206 MilesNo problems with range, finished up with a 40 mile buffer. Ended up having to swipe credit card to charge here, it was the only time EA plug and play didn't work.
Casey’s General Store
Quality Inn Grand Island
87 MilesSuper convenient EA chargers right in front of the hotel, got an almost full charge before going to bed for the night.

Walmart Supercenter
186 MilesUncrowded highway + flat roads + no rain = got to push the pace a little bit ?

Walmart Supercenter
130 Miles
90 MilesGot here around noonish, and every single EA stall was taken. We drove down the road to a Greenlots station at the local Nissan dealership but were unable to connect, so we ended up going back to the mall after ~20 min and magically all the cars that were there previously were gone.

There is a large bank of Tesla superchargers next to the EA ones - Colorado seemed like the most EV-friendly state that we visited.

Ended up charging to 99% because we weren't sure how range would be affected by the mountains. In the meantime, we got lunch at the mall Panera and watched the final 10 laps of the 2021 F1 US Grand Prix.
Target
150 MilesThe drive from Denver up to Glenwood Springs was one of the most enjoyable sections of road - you navigate through the mountains and can see several ski resorts, small mining towns and in general is just a cool vibe. It helped that the weather was perfect (clear sky, 60s) - driving in the snow/winter probably would have been much scarier.

Glenwood Springs itself has a cute downtown area and a hot-springs-powered public swimming pool. We didn't stop since we wanted to make it to the monument before sunset but worth a look.
103 MilesWe made good time so decided to visit the Colorado National Monument. Super fun zig-zag drive up to the visitor center, made it just as the sun went down and was able to get a really cool view of Grand Junction, and some cool nighttime shots of the car.
SpringHill Suites

20 MilesWent to The Rockslide Brewery and Restaurant for dinner - recommend the Ahi Tacos, Prosciutto and Shrimp pasta and their in-house beers.

A ChargePoint charger is available in the hotel's parking lot. I didn't want to pay/wait so we ended up driving to Sam's club for the high speed EA chargers and got a Sonic Blast across the street for dessert ?

When we were returning from Sonic, I saw the owner of a Chevy Bolt (charging at one of the other EA stalls) looking at the car. Seemed super curious as I saw him playing with the Porsche configurator on his phone after we got back :)

Total: ~925 Miles, 14.5h on the road. This was a long day. If you have the time I'd recommend stopping in Boise instead (a more reasonable 600Mi/9h) but I had to push to get back for a half day of work the next day.

Green River Coffee
100 MilesSuper cool stop - feels like you're passing through the town from Cars off Route 66. Coffee is really good.

A random dog (probably one of the Coffee shop's employees') passed by and sniffed the front of the car before going back inside.
Walmart Supercenter
130 MilesStopped here because I didn't want to deal with downtown Salt Lake city traffic. I dropped my first co-driver at SLC airport and picked up my second co-driver.
Walmart Supercenter
107 MilesCosta Vida across the street had AMAZING tacos. We were shocked to find such good tacos in Utah.
Sinclair Stinker Store
125 Miles
Walmart Supercenter
116 MilesNot a ton to see in southern Idaho. The original plan was to stop and stay the night in Boise, but there was a shooting at the local mall + we wanted to push to reduce driving time the next day, so we drove straight through Boise.
T & T Country Store
126 MilesSPOOKY - station is ~15min off the highway, in the small town of Huntington. Sun had gone down at this point so we were driving in pitch dark for this.

There were 4 EA chargers at the store but only 1 was operational - two were off, and I couldn't connect to the 350KW station. I was able to get connected to the single 150KW station but this was definitely a moment of nervousness. Fortunately we still had a pretty full battery from the previous stop and charged at ~110KW so it didn't take super long, but don't get stuck here on nearly empty if you can help it.

Folks at the store were nice, nice variety of snacks and groceries and there's a small burger place next door. Didn't eat there though.
Space Age Fuel
165 MilesBig truck stop, with a huge store selling all sorts of snacks, drinks, and massive donuts.

On the approach to this it was raining quite heavily and I was thankful for the Taycan's weight/grip. About 10 min away from Space Age you come down a pretty steep hill into the valley, and as I was doing that, two 18-wheelers about 1/4 mile ahead of me collided and slid off the road. Fortunately they didn't roll over or block everything, and I saw both drivers out of their trucks inspecting the damage but definitely unnerving.
Stayed at
50 MilesAfter 14+ hours in the car we were super glad to have a bed. Columbia Point (little dock/bay behind the hotel) is really pretty, popular summer destination in WA.

Taco Bell Ellensburg
100 MilesBefore departing, we got bagels at Some Bagels and Gelato in Richland - these we SO GOOD, like true NYC/east coast style. Shockingly good. They also sell Gelato, but didn't opt for that at 9am.

I recommend taking the backroad route (SR 240 and 243 following the Columbia river) - you get to see a bunch of Washington fruit farms, vineyards and dams. Very scenic.

Finish - Seattle, WA110 MilesStarted raining as we got into the Snoqualmie pass area, but stayed warm enough so that we weren't worried about icy roads. Somewhat mountainous - lots of pretty Washington foliage and evergreens.

Photos:

At the dealer:

IMG_4995.jpg

PXL_20211023_144851928.MP.jpg

On the road
PXL_20211023_210729815.MP.jpg

IMG_5019.jpg

IMG_5061.jpg

IMG_5085.jpg

IMG_5052.jpg

IMG_5079.jpg

At home!
IMG_5148.jpg

PXL_20211024_120526473.jpg
Nice. Great maiden trip: jump in at the deep end of the pool.

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Great trip & happy motoring! Thanks for sharing! Just itching to take my 4S out on the open road sometime soon...

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Great post, spreadsheet, and photos. Awesome. Thanks for sharing. ?

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
So the Plug and Charge function worked most of the time ok? Did you have to use your cellphone at all for charging, or were you able to bypass using the phone?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
So the Plug and Charge function worked most of the time ok? Did you have to use your cellphone at all for charging, or were you able to bypass using the phone?
not to crash the thread but not all EA chargers are able to do plug and charge, at the stations that are not plug and charge capable you will need the app on your phone to activate the chargers

OP
OP

dewber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Awesome - thanks for sharing!
Btw - did you opt for the blue matrix headlights? Look really cool.
Nope, these are just the standard headlights (with PDLS+), not the matrix ones. I think the lighting in the dealership shop made them look really cool ?

OP
OP

dewber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Plug and charge (no phone required) worked 16 out of 17 times. The one other time both plug-and-charge and the porsche connect app didn't work, so I just used my credit card. I did have to enable plug-and-charge in the settings on the PCM at the first stop but otherwise was very smooth.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
Plug and charge (no phone required) worked 16 out of 17 times. The one other time both plug-and-charge and the porsche connect app didn't work, so I just used my credit card. I did have to enable plug-and-charge in the settings on the PCM at the first stop but otherwise was very smooth.
Good to know, because I don't now -- and don't ever want to -- use my cellphone for any car apps, and if I can't charge at public-charging stations without using my phone, it makes no sense for me to buy a BEV...

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag

Highlights/Thoughts:
  • Cool stops:

Route:

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 10.56.21 AM.png

Casey's General Store

Kum & Go
Casey’s General Store
Quality Inn Grand Island

Walmart Supercenter

Walmart Supercenter
130 Miles

Target

SpringHill Suites

Green River Coffee

Walmart Supercenter
Walmart Supercenter
Sinclair Stinker Store
125 Miles
Walmart Supercenter
T & T Country Store

Space Age Fuel

Stayed at

Taco Bell Ellensburg

Photos:

At the dealer:

IMG_4995.jpg

PXL_20211023_144851928.MP.jpg

On the road
PXL_20211023_210729815.MP.jpg

IMG_5019.jpg

IMG_5061.jpg

IMG_5085.jpg

IMG_5052.jpg

IMG_5079.jpg

At home!
IMG_5148.jpg

PXL_20211024_120526473.jpg
Great job! An epic journey for sure. My only disappointment was that you did not upload pics from the Kum & Go in Iowa! Are you sure it was actually a charging station and not something else?