DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
On a whim I decided to drive from Dallas to Austin to have lunch with a friend. Isn't it nice to take frivolous trips without worrying about cost? :)

- Left the house at 80% SoC (was not planned in advance or I would have charged to 100%.)
- Hit the Bellmeade (Waco) EA charger at Walmart and only needed 5 minutes of charge to continue my journey. It went so fast I lost track of time and actually charged for 8 minutes.
- Landed in Round Rock at my friend's place with around 15% SoC.
- Hit the EA charger at Round Rock Outlets for 5 minutes before heading to County Line for lunch.
- After lunch dropped my friend off and hit EA at Round Rock again for the return trip. SoC here was 9%. Got a great full speed charge and after 22 mins I was in the 80s and ready to go.
- Hit Bellmeade again on the way. The car told me I needed 5 minutes but I was actually there for 10, as a Mustang was using the one working 350kW charger. Not a huge deal.
- Landed back home with around 15% SoC.

I was really surprised how short all these charge stops were. If you're planning on Dallas<-->Austin travel it's pretty great.
Sponsored

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
On a whim I decided to drive from Dallas to Austin to have lunch with a friend. Isn't it nice to take frivolous trips without worrying about cost? :)

- Left the house at 80% SoC (was not planned in advance or I would have charged to 100%.)
- Hit the Bellmeade (Waco) EA charger at Walmart and only needed 5 minutes of charge to continue my journey. It went so fast I lost track of time and actually charged for 8 minutes.
- Landed in Round Rock at my friend's place with around 15% SoC.
- Hit the EA charger at Round Rock Outlets for 5 minutes before heading to County Line for lunch.
- After lunch dropped my friend off and hit EA at Round Rock again for the return trip. SoC here was 9%. Got a great full speed charge and after 22 mins I was in the 80s and ready to go.
- Hit Bellmeade again on the way. The car told me I needed 5 minutes but I was actually there for 10, as a Mustang was using the one working 350kW charger. Not a huge deal.
- Landed back home with around 15% SoC.

I was really surprised how short all these charge stops were. If you're planning on Dallas<-->Austin travel it's pretty great.
that’s awesome. Assume you have a 2021 Taycan with plug n charge enabled?

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
So much this. When I road tripped my car from Plano to El Paso last week, I stopped for roughly 5-10 minutes each stop. Coming from previous Tesla road trips where I was used to sitting around for half an hour or more, I sometimes couldn't believe it. Then you realize it's charging faster and longer at double the speed of a Tesla and it all makes sense.

There's a reason the Taycan holds the EV road trip cannonball record. That's even with a lot of EA hiccups along the way.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Thanks for posting! I love the positive feedback. I have not done much road tripping from Houston, but sounds like it will be no big deal.