Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Inspired by the beatiful report by @tigerbalm, I wanted to share with you our experience of a longer trip in our Taycan T. We have not been to see our grand kids or family in Stockholm for nearly two years with all pandemic restrictions and issues. So this opportunity was very much looked forward to. We have travelled this way a number of occasions before, but wanted to make shorter day trips with stays at nice hotels etc this time. Rather than driving the shortest and fastest route we planned as below. We still wanted to drive along the main motorways etc since the overall distance is more than 2550 km. So no scenic road trips were added this time. And I can guarantee you there are plenty of these along the way.

My wife was sceptical about travelling in the Taycan since we have had a number of not so good charging experiences with our Taycan. But agreed to make the trip in the Taycan, when I showed her all the alternatives I tried to plan in for charging stops in case of a charger mishap. We have a slight mobility issue.

I started out by trying to plan the trip with the Connect app, in order to be able to send the route to the car. Not so successful as can be seen in the photo below.
Porsche Taycan Trip report from Nice area, France to Stockholm, Sweden in Taycan Turbo C82C2E8B-8956-484F-95B8-E41690CDF24A

It was not possible to plan the route as we wanted to make.

So instead ABRP was used to find chargers and plan the route. This is chosen since we wanted visit places and family along the way.

Porsche Taycan Trip report from Nice area, France to Stockholm, Sweden in Taycan Turbo 0FC52110-8BED-4E8A-BA40-1D169FC5FAC7

Overall distance just over 3000 km.

Most of the charging stops planned were at Ionity stations and we aimed to have all stations within the Porsche Charging service. That meant I could start the charge with either the Connect app or the Porsche Charging card that has been provided. And I decided to leave the Brick of PMCC at home. It is so big and clumsy.

I have used the excellent spreadsheet shared by @tigerbalm, thank you!, to record my charging session. I was so impressed by the speed at which Ionity provided the charging times as well as kWh and cost per charging session, that I got lazy trying to read the info on the charger! :eek::eek:. Worked at few occasions but not all and I still have not got all of the data or bill.

I will try to make a short day to day summary and at the end make an overall reflection and summary of the car, roads and charging experience If this is of any interest.

Porsche Taycan Trip report from Nice area, France to Stockholm, Sweden in Taycan Turbo 95EFF3E0-D3E3-49F4-BAEB-1CBCBE1E9E1B

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Sounds like a great trip. Looking forward to seeing your report!

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day one - Nice to Port Lesney, France

The plan for day one was about 670 km. Mostly on French motorways where the speed limit is 130 km/h. It is not a flat drive but has altitudes between 0 and 500 meters at several places. ABRP planned for three stops as the Hotel has some Tesla destination chargers.

Porsche Taycan Trip report from Nice area, France to Stockholm, Sweden in Taycan Turbo 3BF511F0-D062-4812-AEAA-A4FFA7568B9B

Seeing the advice from other contrbutors I added a fourth stop at an Ionity station close to the destination, in case the destination chargers would not be available or not work. So we added a stop ar Aire de Jura .

The Taycan added the same stops in the cars navigator when the hotel address was used. Checked the arrival SOC and suggested times vs ABRP and they were well aligned.

Some traffic on Route yo the first Ionity station and wit the cruise control set at 10% above the speed limit it worked fine. During the first leg I received two map updates. I guess this was due to the fact we had not recently been yo that area and the car probably updates the maps for the area you are entering. Rather then update the whole country or all Europe ar once. I did not use the voice navigation but saw the message flash up on the display and also in Notifications.

Charging at Ionity worked well, even if the Connect app for starting the session required a few attempts.

CityStart SOCEnd SOCkWh AddedCost €DurationAmb T (℃)Bat T (℃)Av km/hkWh/100 kmCharger Kind
Nice
France
85%85%
Cambaretta Nord
Ionity
49%94%40.40€‎ 13.330h 25m21.5327322.4DC 350kW
IONITYMontellimar39%94%49.75€‎ 16.420h 32m22.53310723.1DC 350kW
IONITYDagneux45%95%26.55€‎ 8.760h 14m20349122.6DC 350kW
IONITYAire de Jura30%45%12.42€‎ 4.100h 6m19.53411328.4DC 350kW

On the second leg to Montellimar, we got several more map updates and now I also understood that when these are installed the charging planner replans the stops. At this point the plan was indicated to a different charging stop. When checking this stop it turned out it only had one charger and only 50 kW as such. I have absolutely no idea why the car wanted to do this as we had enough charge to easily reach the Ionity station. I only discovered it since it was going to take me off the motorway and into Avignon?

Changing and searching for the Ionity station manually at 140 km/h should normally not be so difficult with Porsche InnoDrive engaged? BUT my InnoDrive had given up. It did not work at all. No Lane Departure Warning. No Lane Keep Assist and no steering input at all. The normal display for PID with speed etc was black, nothing. However Adaptive Cruise Control worked but did not show the set speed etc. A feature for 3k Euro not operational.

Second Charging stop at Montellimar started quickly, but at this stage I used the Porsche charging card, since the app did not work as it should. We went for some quick salad to eat while the car charged. Got a message from the app that charging had completed and went to see at the car. For some reason the car just stopped at about 65% charge? Restarted just fine though.

The last stop before the hotel was just for safety if we had to backtrack a bit for a HPC.

Arrived at Chateau de Germigney, which had a great restaurant. Very nice facilities and and a Spa with Vinotherapy ! :)

Two working and free Tesla Destination chargers were available so no need to go backwards to charge.

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 2 - Port Lesney to Hotel Hohenhaus close to Eisenach

Second day was planned to be about 680 km. The Hotel had two Tesla Destination chargers so we charged overnight to 95%.

Porsche Taycan Trip report from Nice area, France to Stockholm, Sweden in Taycan Turbo 2D7DA3B3-3688-471E-922A-E082E37BC43B

The above picture shows the difference on build outs of HPC in France (very sparse), Switzerland and Germany. France have a lot of 22 kW and 43 kW chargers but lack chargers above 150 kW.

The day did not start the best with the cars navigation system not having updated traffic information. It took us a route where the road has been closed for the last couple of weeks on the small roads leading to the motorways. From what I could see LTE worked fine and Internet radio played fine? No way to see the status of updates. The first stretch would be a longer one, about 265 km.

Porsche Taycan Trip report from Nice area, France to Stockholm, Sweden in Taycan Turbo C2777A58-56C2-428E-BB51-236D39F1A1D6

No problems at all to reach first charging stop with plenty of charge to spare.

Once in Germany we lost LTE connection and could not get the car to reconnect to the network. Tried two finger reset several times, but no improvement.
The issue with this was that our map updates where not delivered and also no traffic information. We were now in Stauland and the amount of traffic jams were unbelievable. The German Autobahn have No Speed Limit in some areas, but the overall average speed was much lower than in France.

Taycan drove fantastic though. When possible the speed went up to 200 km/h and the car is completely stablle and seems to be glued to the road. Felt extremely safe and planted at the high speed when possible and safe to do.

As can be viewed from the plan there are many different charging networks with HPC chargers at more than 300 kW, not just Ionity. We passed by many petrol stations that were marked as in the photo below.

Porsche Taycan Trip report from Nice area, France to Stockholm, Sweden in Taycan Turbo 60804D61-EDCB-4428-902A-EE32F4D584B7

Same symbol as the car shows when getting low on charge. From what I understood they call these E-tankstelle. Then people directed you to a charger.

Some stations had a combined layout with both Petrol Pumps and Electron Pumps. The nice thing was that windscreen cleaning buckets were provided at many of the HPC.

Porsche Taycan Trip report from Nice area, France to Stockholm, Sweden in Taycan Turbo 5AB9571A-FEB1-4F9D-B440-5A973DD22DBC

Unfortunately I have dropped my phone when packing the car at home and my camera is completely broken as well as the screen, so some pictures are from Chargemap.
Porsche Taycan Trip report from Nice area, France to Stockholm, Sweden in Taycan Turbo 0DD6D36A-A412-4608-A527-D5DD42AFE0CD

We charged at several of the BP/Aral Pulse stations and providers were EnBW, has to be GmbH, EWE Go etc, and all worked first attempt and with as much power as the car could take..

Outside of the Ionity network there is however a charge also time based and not just kWh based? I did not realise that at the time. I guess this is to discourage cars like BMW i3 and others that only charge at 50 kW, to use these stations.
Porsche Taycan Trip report from Nice area, France to Stockholm, Sweden in Taycan Turbo 995C1CB7-8984-429F-A170-DE9C1931FB0F

Price show is ex VAT 20%. Still significantly cheaper than an ICE car.

Overall very impressed with the charging experience driving through Germany. Plenty of chargers, no waiting times and the chargers all worked and delivered the promised power.

Not so happy to experience STAU, STAU etc. And Taycan without InnoDrive, without stable LTE connection was no fun either. When LTE sporadically worked there were several Map updates, which messed up the charge planning. No problem at all in Germany since there were so many charging opportunities.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Day 2 - Port Lesney to Hotel Hohenhaus close to Eisenach

Second day was planned to be about 680 km. The Hotel had two Tesla Destination chargers so we charged overnight to 95%.

2D7DA3B3-3688-471E-922A-E082E37BC43B.png

The above picture shows the difference on build outs of HPC in France (very sparse), Switzerland and Germany. France have a lot of 22 kW and 43 kW chargers but lack chargers above 150 kW.

The day did not start the best with the cars navigation system not having updated traffic information. It took us a route where the road has been closed for the last couple of weeks on the small roads leading to the motorways. From what I could see LTE worked fine and Internet radio played fine? No way to see the status of updates. The first stretch would be a longer one, about 265 km.

C2777A58-56C2-428E-BB51-236D39F1A1D6.jpeg

No problems at all to reach first charging stop with plenty of charge to spare.

Once in Germany we lost LTE connection and could not get the car to reconnect to the network. Tried two finger reset several times, but no improvement.
The issue with this was that our map updates where not delivered and also no traffic information. We were now in Stauland and the amount of traffic jams were unbelievable. The German Autobahn have No Speed Limit in some areas, but the overall average speed was much lower than in France.

Taycan drove fantastic though. When possible the speed went up to 200 km/h and the car is completely stablle and seems to be glued to the road. Felt extremely safe and planted at the high speed when possible and safe to do.

As can be viewed from the plan there are many different charging networks with HPC chargers at more than 300 kW, not just Ionity. We passed by many petrol stations that were marked as in the photo below.

60804D61-EDCB-4428-902A-EE32F4D584B7.jpeg

Same symbol as the car shows when getting low on charge. From what I understood they call these E-tankstelle. Then people directed you to a charger.

Some stations had a combined layout with both Petrol Pumps and Electron Pumps. The nice thing was that windscreen cleaning buckets were provided at many of the HPC.

5AB9571A-FEB1-4F9D-B440-5A973DD22DBC.png

Unfortunately I have dropped my phone when packing the car at home and my camera is completely broken as well as the screen, so some pictures are from Chargemap.
0DD6D36A-A412-4608-A527-D5DD42AFE0CD.png

We charged at several of the BP/Aral Pulse stations and providers were EnBW, has to be GmbH, EWE Go etc, and all worked first attempt and with as much power as the car could take..

Outside of the Ionity network there is however a charge also time based and not just kWh based? I did not realise that at the time. I guess this is to discourage cars like BMW i3 and others that only charge at 50 kW, to use these stations.
995C1CB7-8984-429F-A170-DE9C1931FB0F.jpeg

Price show is ex VAT 20%. Still significantly cheaper than an ICE car.

Overall very impressed with the charging experience driving through Germany. Plenty of chargers, no waiting times and the chargers all worked and delivered the promised power.

Not so happy to experience STAU, STAU etc. And Taycan without InnoDrive, without stable LTE connection was no fun either. When LTE sporadically worked there were several Map updates, which messed up the charge planning. No problem at all in Germany since there were so many charging opportunities.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Enjoy your trip and stay safe.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Excellent…we are getting more trip-reports :clap:
Enjoy & safe ride!

BTW: Apt, Aix-en-Provence, Avignon, Verdun, Nimes….that brings memories to me & my wife from mid-school summer times;) …and I’ll never forget Nice where I’ve been awarded by IBM back in 1997… ah, those were days…

SpicewoodT

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I suspect you'll mention this in one of the next Trip Day reports you post, but it looks like you took a ferry from Helsingør to Helsingborg instead of driving from København to Malmö over Storebæltsbroen - is that correct? Was that a more convenient route or simply more relaxing?

GerhardF

First Name
Gerhard F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD coming Nov 2021
Country flag
Peter, thanks for your great report of driving accross Europe - best regards to Sweden!

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I suspect you'll mention this in one of the next Trip Day reports you post, but it looks like you took a ferry from Helsingør to Helsingborg instead of driving from København to Malmö over Storebæltsbroen - is that correct? Was that a more convenient route or simply more relaxing?
Correct, we did take the ferry across the water from Helsingör to Helsingborg. The reason for this was just that we have a favourite hotel in Helsingör, Marienlyst. We wanted to stay there for the night. It is a great locationclose to the sea (50m?) with some nice walkways along the sea, which is great after a lot of time in the car. And the hotel has a character and soul. There are some good hotels in Sweden as well, but they, in my mind are more of a sleep factory type. Large business hotels and efficient but soulless, if that makes any sense?

Normally it is faster to take Öresundsbron to Malmö but we are in no hurry.

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 3 - Hotel Hohenhaus to Schlosshotel Wendorf

This day the route was planned to pass by Leipzig, where Porsche produce the Macan and Panamera. They also have a Kundendienst and some track experience events here. There are pictures of lots of Porsche chargers shown here as well. Looked like a nice place to visit. Some friends also had advised to travel through what was the former Eastern Germany, rather than the normal route. The roads they said were much nicer and better. It was not the fastest route according to Google maps shown blow. The distance is about 550 km and should take some five and a half hours driving plus charging and biological breaks.

Porsche Taycan Trip report from Nice area, France to Stockholm, Sweden in Taycan Turbo A1BD2F6F-3840-40A6-BB83-3F66331914CA

With a 95% charge from the hotels Tesla destination charger we set off. Shortly after this we received the ever annoying map updates, despite having driven around this area for a full day. And with the map update came the compulsory changed route planning with charging stops added. A voice message also announced that due to traffic situation and road closure, the route was changed and now we were heading for Hanover instead!!!???? We are not familiar with the roads in this part of Germany at all. But being in Grermany in a German car and a map system owned by a number of German car manufacturers (HERE) I decided to let the car navigate.

It was difficult to check in the navigator and also with Google maps what the real situation was so we choose to take the car navigation advice. Probably a BIG mistake.

Some 60 km along the Route and a new Map Update etc etc, it was announced “” Due to Traffic situation and Road closure it was not possible to navigate the route. No alternative route is recommended””. Very confusing message, should we really continue or turn once again?? It was Saturday and there seemed to be much less heavy goods traffic on the roads than in the week, so we decided to skip the car navigator and use Google maps via CarPlay. Google quickly established
a possible route. Seemed everybody else decided on the same route as well. And then the traffic from the Autobahn was diverted off the motorway and onto the same small country road. Cosy? STAU and very slow.

Porsche Taycan Trip report from Nice area, France to Stockholm, Sweden in Taycan Turbo 299497CD-3950-4BD0-BF97-FEC8FCD567C1

The first part of the trip took a long long time even if the average speed looked ok. But the car was switched off for a lot of time at total standstill and lunch etc.

The two charging stops went to plan and both chargers performed perfectly. The Pulse Chargers were very appreciated. No issue in connecting and starting the charge, and providing up to 300 kW power. Absolutely superb. As stated before there is also charge per minute at these chargers so it works out at 0.55 Euro per kWh against Ionity at 0.33 Euro.

The hotel had told me that they had the possibility to charge an EV, but I could not find any destination charger registered with EV Hotels, Tesla or PlugShare. Thus we decided to follow the advice from other members here, to charge enough for a return to the last station Wittenburg, should the hotel not have any Destination charger. And lucky we were.

Porsche Taycan Trip report from Nice area, France to Stockholm, Sweden in Taycan Turbo 1CF0775F-2241-46F6-A9BD-AF73DA29A785

The drive up to the Hotel! They also have an Equestrian centre here and some fantastic grounds.
Our room was on the second floor and as can be seen the ceiling height is generous by todays standard. No lifts gave us a good challenge.

The staff were super helpful with luggage and help in every which way. When I asked about the possibility to charge my car, they pointed me to their annex and said they would be there in a minute. No problems.
My problem started when they came with a very long extensoion lead and wanted to help out. :cool::cool:.
I had not brought my PMCC, too big and clumsy. So luckily our SOC would get us back to Wittenburg without any problems. There were some 50 kW chargers nearby as well.

Porsche Taycan Trip report from Nice area, France to Stockholm, Sweden in Taycan Turbo 2667BAC3-21CD-4E8C-B02A-E4C4DF3CC7E4
Porsche Taycan Trip report from Nice area, France to Stockholm, Sweden in Taycan Turbo 2AB329B0-F64B-4FEB-BB44-3377F17250A1

Isaac

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Macan GTS
Country flag
Peter, what a great set of posts.

i have a 4S and we have a house in the uk and one in Meribel in France - a roughly 700 mile/1120km journey, generally on excellent French autoroutes.

i have not yet done this journey but i have tried to programme it into the car system. It rapidly became apparent that the in car system is woeful and better to use something like A Better Route Planner possibly in conjunction with the in car system by just putting in the next charge stop. I subsequently had the following conversation with the dealership:

“There is an Ionity charging station in France called L’isle-D’Abeau. Why wont the in car system pick up this Ionity station in France? I have tried multiple ways to get it to recognise the charge station or even the garage where it is – Its on the motorway but it does not.

Second when I programme Tatsfield to Meribel Village into the car system the best it can produce is a journey plan with some unacceptably long recharging stops en route and a total nearly 16 hour journey.

So i turned to A Better Route Planner for the same journey. [ ABRP map and Table given to the dealership]. Note that the total stops for top ups are 91 minutes which is less than one single stop given by the incar system. a journey of about 12 hours - 4 hours less than the in car system.

I have researched this quite a bit and come to the conclusion that the onboard nav planner is woefully bad. It almost beggars belief that Porsche can be responsible for something that is so third rate and doesn’t appear to recognise even its own linked charging stations eg Ionity. Unlike petrol cars planning for long journeys is key in evs and this just does not appear to be close to an acceptable standard”

no proper answer yet….i told them to consult Porsche UK…

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Charging at Ionity worked well, even if the Connect app for starting the session required a few attempts.
Just wondering, do you have a physical Porsche Charging Service RFID card ?

I ask, because I've never used the charging app and I get the impression that the RFID card relies less on network connectivity than the app.

Update:

Ignore me. You do have the card!

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The problems you had with LTE/data was my greatest fear when I did my own trips. I especially thought the 18 hour ferry crossing would trigger it.

I've had it many, many times. But during our recent two week European trip – it never happened. This weekend it did for 30 minutes. I've no idea what really triggers it but its frustrating as heck when it happens.

Porsche: fix your damn bugs.

Last edited:
Reactions: B61

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The implementation of the replanning triggered by the map updates is so frustrating. I totally understand that when it receives more detailed mapping for the area you are approaching, that it would want to do a route replan. It potentially has more accurate data and wants to see if its current plan could be optimised.

But for some reason, it picks really stupid charging choices when it does this replan. It brings you away from large IONITY charging stations to one-off chargers that may or may not be working.

I didn't have any particular approach to this – but generally, I would plan my route the day before. I would then use the iOS Porsche Connect app – putting the the destination and then manually adding the stops as stopovers before sending the entire route to the car.

Basically using the app to save lots of typing in the car.

Its imperfect, but I found it the handiest approach of all. Unless of course LTE data decides to go on strike.
Sponsored